Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#301 Post by kirk »

If you do an updated Fatdog, could I request an update to VLC, please?
Yep, VLC-2.0.4 will be in 610. Also the latest kernel, Flash player, ALSA, Xorg drivers for Intel/ATI/Nvidia, Mesa-9.0, Geany-1.22, bug fixes, etc.

jamesbond

#302 Post by jamesbond »

alexei wrote: Quote:
Quote:
How to create a pet out of existing (debian) package?
Plenty of information in this forum and the wiki, I will not repeat it here again. Please search for it.
Before asking I read http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... ckage.html and did not find the answer to my question. Let me re-phrase: what are exact steps to make a pet out of debian package file (deb)? Can such conversion be automated/scripted?
Actually, for the purpose of installing DEB packages, you don't need to convert it. Just double-click it from the file manager (rox) and Fatdog will install it.

If you really want to convert it, here is the pseudo-code (not real code - you need to change the relevant parameters):

Code: Select all

# mkdir /tmp/your-package-name
# cd /tmp/your-package-name
# undeb /path/to/your/package.deb
# cd /tmp
# dir2pet your-package-name
As FatDog provides a feature to do Installation (including setting up some boot loader) it would be natural if it would ask about boot options and put them in the right place.
Thanks, this is something nice to consider. I'll do when I have the time.
Installation should ask if Wifi autoconnect is OK.

You won't be connected to wifi anyway if you don't have the password.
Not really. I got connected to my neibhor's "Guest" wi-fi. Potentially it's security risk, and sometime it's rather inconvenient.
You can disable "wpagui" services through Control Panel.
Help on boot options should be visible at startup (I don't have it after HDD installation).
It is always there. Point your browser to /usr/share/doc/home.html.
I don't have browser at bootup (in the situation above I had to go to another computer to find how to specify vesa option).
I misunderstood your question before, now I get it. Let me think how to do it properly (not that easy because the boot help screen is only for syslinux; and installed fatdog can use either syslinux or grub4dos)
Quote:
Quote:
Click on CPU usage in the toolbar should open Task Manager
Yes, nice to have, but probably won't happen unless someone re-writes the CPU usage applet.
I thought it could be handled by OpenBox or something like that.
Nope, it's done by lxpanel. Kirk just updated volume icon to launch the full alsamixer, so I suppose it is also possible modify the cpu usage applet to launch lxtask.
But maybe I need to ask if FatDog does have
the Pup-Advert-Blocker and Grandr at all?
No, sorry. I haven't looked at pup-advert-blocker, if it works by putting stuff into /etc/hosts then it should work with Fatdog too.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

alexei

#303 Post by alexei »

1. Thanks for your responses.

2. I found that to make "windows key" to show "main"-menu, in rc.xml it should be keybind key="Super_L" instead of Alt+F1, I also removed all "W-" entries, where "windows key" was used as modifier.

3. After installing Perl-pet I could start VMWare tools installation, but I got stack with its question about location of the directory that "contains the input directories (rc0.d/ to rc6.d/)". Do we have them in FatDog?
Thanks

Q5sys

alsa question

#305 Post by Q5sys »

Im trying to resolve an issue in LHP 64, and I was thinking I might be able to get some guidance from what you guys have done.

Does FD601 have any issues with ALSA and sound. On LHP I seem to only be able to have one program access alsa at a time... I cant get multiple threads to work properly.

If FD doesnt have this problem then I just need to figure out what you guys have done. :)

smokey01

#306 Post by smokey01 »

Alsa works fine with multiple access. You can even have two or three instances of VLC running at once. Not very easy to listen to though.

Q5sys

#307 Post by Q5sys »

smokey01 wrote:Alsa works fine with multiple access. You can even have two or three instances of VLC running at once. Not very easy to listen to though.
Awesome! I'll try and figure out what you guys have done, and hopefully I can fix my problem.

BTW your guys' nvidia pet saved me a ton of hassle!

EDIT: I'm hoping to be able to make the newest one for testing this weekend. If I get time and I can make it, I'll test it out and if its good to go, I'll shoot you guys a link to test and/or include in your repo after you verify its good.

Lastly: Kirk or JamesBond, do either you mind a PM? I have a question about your work building FD, but its answer isnt really on topic and I dont want to clutter up your thread.

jamesbond

#308 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks smokey01 and 01micko.
Fatdog 601 already comes with alsaequal and caps; so one just need the pequalizer pet and gtkdialog-0.8.2.
Also, pequalizer will work on standalone apps but will not work on youtube videos from the web browser unless you know how do it properly: As Fatdog runs web browser as spot, you need to run pequalizer as spot too if you want to change settings for youtube.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#309 Post by jamesbond »

Q5sys wrote:Lastly: Kirk or JamesBond, do either you mind a PM? I have a question about your work building FD, but its answer isnt really on topic and I dont want to clutter up your thread.
No, I don't mind, but please be aware I don't check the forum every day so don't expect a quick reply. Also please note that PMs are not always delivered reliably. If you don't get a reply just send me another PM again.

cheers!

mini-jaguar

#310 Post by mini-jaguar »

I wanted to record a video with my built-in camera in Kino, but for some reason it doesn't recognize it. Is this possible?

I tried that camera chooser in the menu, but it didn't find the built-in camera and I'm not sure that program is for film cameras, it could be for photo cameras and importing.

Gnuxo

#311 Post by Gnuxo »

I have never a puppy this fast. However I don't know how to leverage the good and the bad with it.

On the good note, there's the speed and intuitiveness, on the other hand, It's hard to find packages to install on it. I tried to install playonlinux and I couldn't find dependencies for it.

I downloaded a deb file or two and they install but slackware binaries don't.

Another more haphazard defect I discovered is that, while my laptop is connected to ethernet, fatdog is connecting to wifi only.

Ethernet connections are not even an option.

...So, it's left me torn. Probably the fastest distro I've ever used and at the same time, it has so many debilitating hangovers that I don't know if I can continue to use it.

Jarock

FD64

#312 Post by Jarock »

Hello,

FatDog64 is amazing. There is so much power behind this operating system that it has become an everyday use OS. I've been using the operating system for a while and have been able to tweak settings here and there. I was also able to find the VLC source for this puppy project and simply enable libass plugin for re-compile. What I haven't figured out though was how to adjust mouse settings for what I suppose would be called click sensitivity. For Instance, if I were to right click somewhere in the ROX file manager the menu strip will display for not even a split second and auto-select whatever option the cursor was over. I'd right click a file, and the instant I release the click Copy is selected and prompts for a copy location. The menu accepts both Mouse-Press and Mouse-Release so that does cause this problem frequently. If anyone knows how to change that feature, I'd love to hear about it.

Another thing I found to be a problem, more of an annoyance, is the screensaver for FD64. I'd really like to have it disabled indefinitely. I noticed when I disable it from PupX it is only for "this" session. I'm not too sure what a session is, but it randomly enables itself while I'm viewing videos and the screen turns black. I go to the PupX screensaver settings and there I see it's enabled again, so I'm not sure why that is happening. I assume it's a glitch or maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Any insight on this would be great.

kirk

#313 Post by kirk »

I wanted to record a video with my built-in camera in Kino, but for some reason it doesn't recognize it. Is this possible?
Kino does everything in DV format, so probably not. Kino is in fatdog just to edit video clips. Unfortunately Kino is old and not maintained. The Linux video editor situation is not very good, I'd like to replace it, but so far I haven't found anything that doesn't have a ton of dependencies. VMLC (VLC based) looks promising, but it's not stable enough yet.
Sorry, foreign packages will frequently not work.
Another more haphazard defect I discovered is that, while my laptop is connected to ethernet, fatdog is connecting to wifi only.

Ethernet connections are not even an option.
If you're plugged into Ethernet at boot it will run dhcpd on that connection. However, if you have wireless and there is an open network around it will try to connect to that and probably mess up your Ethernet connection. You can configure a Ethernet connection using the network wizard, which is found in the control panel. But if you switch back and forth between wired and wireless on a laptop, that can be cumbersome. I'm glad you reminded me of this, I'm going to try to improve this for 610.
Another thing I found to be a problem, more of an annoyance, is the screensaver for FD64. I'd really like to have it disabled indefinitely.
I guess you unchecked the Enable screen saver box. I thought that worked. If not let me know and you can unzip the attached script and put it in /root/Startup.
Attachments
disable-ss.gz
(58 Bytes) Downloaded 844 times

jamesbond

#314 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:
Sorry, foreign packages will frequently not work.
Especially slackware-14 packages will not work because it uses a newer glibc than Fatdog.

gcmartin

Video editing and management

#315 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk

I had reported several years ago about a problem with Kino where the output of an editing session creates a humongous file (100X the original combined file size) when trying to combined 2 camera clips. (to prove my findings, take 2 video clips from anywhere and try combining them for example).

Most of us are running very robust PCs. Would you consider making a video package that our 64bit PCs can tear the videos apart and put back together? Would an actively maintained OpenShot be a candidate that you would endorse? Could this be either a replacement in FATDOG or an addition in FATDOG or even a PET for 64bit.

Thanks for any consideration.

Q5sys

Re: Video editing and management

#316 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Kirk

I had reported several years ago about a problem with Kino where the output of an editing session creates a humongous file (100X the original combined file size) when trying to combined 2 camera clips. (to prove my findings, take 2 video clips from anywhere and try combining them for example).

Most of us are running very robust PCs. Would you consider making a video package that our 64bit PCs can tear the videos apart and put back together? Would an actively maintained OpenShot be a candidate that you would endorse? Could this be either a replacement in FATDOG or an addition in FATDOG or even a PET for 64bit.

Thanks for any consideration.
Openshot is a great video program, but it's a tad big for a pet. I think its around 85mb, once you add in all the dependencies it'll need. Probably would be better suited for a SFS. If they dont want to mess around with it, I'll consider packing it up. Dont know when I'd have time... but I can always add it to the list.

smokey01

#317 Post by smokey01 »

Q5sys I would be interested in a SFS of Openshot.

Thanks

gcmartin

Replacement OR handling in the OFFICIAL REPO

#318 Post by gcmartin »

Understanding that Kino is stabilized without future development to fix or add features, the 64bit community could consider "removal replacement" of the current subsystem that has issues. This addresses the size issue as its NOT a 85MB download addition to the system, bur, rather, built-into the system's ISO base. This is a much better option as it clears out the old and replaces it with a contemporary subsystem that has continuing support.

There is added benefits in replacement: The user would have the solution in his desktop system without the need, effort, or possibility of things going wrong which is always introduced when users have to attempt installation outside of the base system.

With so many of us having "hand-helds" which produces video, the ability to manipulate these of our desktop is just one more reason for using FATDOG.

We may want to wait to give Kirk a chance to consider what's best for the 64bit community .... assuming there is still time to make the next bugfix to the current 601. A needed tool like this, if done outside of the ISO process would need to be included in the PPM process. And, sometimes, there are delays when Kirk is busy to get items into the REPO for PPM access. So we may want to give him a chance to review this.

Here to help

Q5sys

Re: Replacement OR handling in the OFFICIAL REPO

#319 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Understanding that Kino is stabilized without future development to fix or add features, the 64bit community could consider "removal replacement" of the current subsystem that has issues. This addresses the size issue as its NOT a 85MB download addition to the system, bur, rather, built-into the system's ISO base. This is a much better option as it clears out the old and replaces it with a contemporary subsystem that has continuing support.

There is added benefits in replacement: The user would have the solution in his desktop system without the need, effort, or possibility of things going wrong which is always introduced when users have to attempt installation outside of the base system.
Well its not exactly an equal swap. Kino is about 20 mb with deps included. Openshot as i said is about 85mb. so thats another 60mb (uncompressed) added to the base sfs, if its included. Since im not the FatDog lead dev, i cant really make comment if they are willing to incude this in the iso.
Ill happily try and build it and make an sfs out of it (maybe itll work for LHP as well). If Kirk or JamesBond decide to include it... that's their choice.
However in keeping with the idea of puppy being a slim smaller distro i dont see them wanting to make it part of the base system. i see a much higher likelyhood they'd add the sfs to the ppm if they approve of it.
Ill stop speculating though and wait for them to chime in with their thoughts.

gcmartin

Re: Replacement OR handling in the OFFICIAL REPO

#320 Post by gcmartin »

Q5sys wrote: ... Kino is about 20 mb with deps included. Openshot as i said is about 85mb. .. .
I think you may be confusing what was shared. You (we) are talking about 1 thing as you point out, and using that as a measure of the broader picture. Most importantly, we have a deprecated product that is in need of someone's service that is being shipped within FATDOG. What I discuss is for the author and, as I remember it, the post was poised for his consideration.

@Q5sys
I did not say for you NOT to help with a SFS. Nor am I asking anything of you. Should an PET/SFS show up I will do my share in tests and providing feedback, just as I have always done in helping where I can. And, as is already noted, I am not the only one who would welcome your effort.

Hope the author understands my help. It is a consideration. In the past, I have been forced to use Windows or another distro for minor video editing to get past some of the issues. Kino is a fine product, but, it has some issues that have been shared.

We are working with 64bit PCs which, in most cases, are lightning fast with robust RAM in comparison to older 32bit architecture. This is why FATDOG is slightly bigger than other PUPs because the author(s) recognize the advantage they have and the community they are helping. They have not done anything in the past that has produced a negative impact in our systems even thought the download size has had a marginal increase.This increase in a download, again, for those of us who understand architecture and path-lengths, does NOT introduce any negative performance or use impact while delivering much needed additional functionality. Many of us understand this and do not see the slight increases as negative for the benefits and full-feature we gain in the distro.

Thanks Kirk and JamesBond for all you do.

And thanks, in advance, for Q5sys's upcoming contributions to this community.

Here to help