How to install Miredo in Puppy and achieve IPV6 connectivity

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
chrome307

#16 Post by chrome307 »

Thank you all for the tips/suggestions, will let you know how I progress with this :)

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

UPDATE:

I re-compiled Miredo for Wary Puppy 5.3.90 and tested it. Originally, I wanted to use the Pet that I made for Wary 5.3 but for some reason unknown to me, it would not work. Anyway, I changed the way I configured iproute2 by putting a sym-link in the default directory instead of changing the path as per the layout in Puppy, and it is working just fine. And so, I found this time that I did not have issues with the process id file for Miredo... it built just fine. :)

Some additional considerations...

Wary/Racy now uses SeaMonkey 2.12.1 and this means you will have to tweak at least one built-in browser setting, because the default is for SeaMonkey to fallback to ipv4 So... open a new browser tab, type in about:config and search for ipv4 Right-click with the mouse to toggle the default fallback setting to false then close the browser, re-open it and you should be good to go... :wink: Note that ipv6 settings within the browser are enabled by default.

Note that while there is a version 1.2.5 for Miredo, it cannot be used for Wary because this version is configured to use systemd and Wary does not support it. From what I've read, systemd is supported in kernel 2.6.39 and later... and apparently kernel 3 or later is recommended, so for those who want to compile Miredo 1.2.5 in Racy, then it should work okay --though I haven't tested this. Otherwise, just download the source tarball for Miredo 1.2.4 and compile it for your particular breed of Puppy.

hope this helps,
Monsie
Attachments
miredo-W5.3.90-1.2.4-i686.pet
(148.73 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#18 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I have been very busy for the past week or so, and haven't yet downloaded Wary 5.5 but I am hoping to do so in the next couple of days...

Has anyone tested my Pet for Wary 5.3.90 to see if it works in 5.5 ? I'm wondering if I should compile a new version for Wary.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#19 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Update:

I am now running Wary 5.5 and starting to test it and set it up according to my preferences....

The Miredo package that I compiled in Wary 5.3.90 does work in Wary 5.5 so it appears we are good to go... At some point I may re-compile for Wary 5.5 to see (for example) if there is any noticeable difference in memory footprint or size of package.

Monsie

Monsie

#20 Post by Monsie »

Here is another Update: from the developer of Miredo:
23rd May 2013 - Miredo 1.2.6
This fixes compilation on some systems and adds locale support for simplified Han Chinese.
I have now compiled this version in Precise Puppy 5.7 retro (which replaces Wary Puppy). I believe it will also work in the "regular" version of Precise Puppy 5.7 since there is only one devx package for both... but I may be wrong in this assumption, since I haven't tested it with the newer kernel. For those who want to compile Miredo for the regular version of Precise Puppy, note that it is no longer necessary to change the path for iproute2 so you can leave the client-hook shell script as is. I am hoping that someone will test and confirm whether my Pet will work with regular Precise Puppy or not...

In Firefox or SeaMonkey, it is still necessary to disable ipv4 fallback in the browsers settings --see my previous post on this detail. I am happy to report that Miredo works with Opera v12.16 (now included with Precise Puppy) and that no browser tweaks appear to be necessary. :)

Monsie
Attachments
miredo-1.2.6-i686.pet
ipv6 connectivity for Precise Puppy 5.7
(182.62 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

Monsie

#21 Post by Monsie »

Monsie wrote:
I am hoping that someone will test and confirm whether my Pet will work with regular Precise Puppy or not...
Has anyone done this yet? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Monsie