How to merge save file with slacko base sfs file?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scooby

How to merge save file with slacko base sfs file?

#1 Post by Scooby »

is there an easy way to merge safefile with base sfs

can you unpack them and copy together
Then makesquash them again?

Will the base sfs be bootable after merge

I am running slacko?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Isn't that remastering? I think there's a Puppy tool for that, but I don't offhand know where it is and I've never done it so I don't know anything about it really. :oops:

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

i think yes if you burn it bootable .

Flash mentioned /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 script where you can find codelines for that .

Just make sure that

/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE,/etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG,/etc/.Xloaded are from the .sfs not from the .2fs

There are some files that can make your new .sfs problematic :

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/asound.state
/root/.flsynclient

There might be other files (also in /var) that may bork things .

/tmp should be there but left empty with 1777 permissions

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

@Karl Godt - very good on the specifics to watch out for.

Here's my 2¢ on "easy way"

Generally speaking, remaster would be the way to go (unless you have special needs). The basic remaster procedure will produce a 'public' pup that may be distributed. Some custom remaster procedures allow more options (say you want to remaster for your own personal/private use with the current state and settings mostly intact). You can do that pretty easy by blanking content of the 'given' /tmp/root and /tmp/etc dirs and replacing that content with straight copies of the content of your current root and etc (a few files in etc should not be copied - take a look at the given /tmp/etc dir before you empty it for what these few do-not-copy files are ~or~ follow Karl's advice :) and adjust accordingly).

After you've done this, there's usually still some minor tweaking to get your remaster just so..

If you use the remove built-ins feature in conjunction with a remaster to slim it down, be aware that there may be shared-dependency side effects that can possibly cripple your new pup :'' :(

hth