Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013) [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013) [CLOSED]

#1 Post by fatdog »

Kirk and James are pleased to announce Fatdog64-630rc2. This a improvement over 630rc1 which was previously announced here.

Abbreviated changes from 630rc1 (for the full list, please read here).
* Kernel 3.12.6 with username spaces
* peasydisc, peasyscan updates (thanks rcrsn51)
* seamonkey 2.22.1 & latest flash player 11.2.202.332
* GIMP 2.8.10
* Xorg 1.14.4 & it supporting libraries (glamor etc)
* Mesa 1.10.1, VDPAU support is now included by default
* razor-panel replacing lxpanel (lxpanel still available - type "xwin "" lxpanel" to enable that).
* the usual bug fixes (thank you 630rc1 testers!)

Downloads are available from the http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso and the usual mirrors.

Merry Christmas everyone.

EDIT: Fatdog64 630 Final has been released. See announcement here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91937.
Last edited by fatdog on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 08:51, edited 3 times in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

Known problems:
1. On certain NVIDIA cards, text is missing from ROX desktop icons.
Possible solutions:
a) delete /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-noaccel.conf --- but beware, on certain cards if you remove this file the computer can get hard lockups when trying to play youtube. If you get the hardlockups then try deleting /usr/X11R7/lib64/vdpau directory.
b) use xorgwizard and choose either "modesetting" or "fbdev" driver.

2. Savefile on USB may not be recognised. If this is a problem please add the following boot parameters: "loadmodules=ohci-pci" to your grub or syslinux config file.
Last edited by fatdog on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 04:45, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#3 Post by fatdog »

Reserved.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Reserved.. :lol:
Big bug.. no warning on low battery power cuts without notice..
Where are the other mirrors :?: . http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/ is dog slow..

OK took an hour at above URL.

Notes: boots from SDCARD in BIOS and UEFI modes. Can't see icons of SDcard when boots UEFI but can in BIOS mode. Had to reset card.
Not consistent, sometimes shows 2 of three partitions, or none
grub.cfg is not in EFI boot img so can't edit it when dd'ed to SDcard or USB.. I'm guessing its using the copy in ISO read only side. Will try to copy over and see if it can default for me. NO always sees frozen copy on (hd0) even after I deleted iso9660 driver :x
Spell checker still shreds on input boxes within SeaMonkey ( I guess the fix got unfixed, had not seen this in a while ) It seems to be related to ATI chipset.

linux /vmlinuz base2ram=expand

base2ram=expand
option not in help pages under boot options
This command line option still works :wink:
Last edited by Ted Dog on Thu 26 Dec 2013, 16:01, edited 4 times in total.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Kirk and James Ihope you can pardon me for not remembering

You have a FAQ somewhere that explain that at first boot
one should have a no savefile code in the menu.lst like this

Code: Select all

kernel /fd64/vmlinuz savefile=none

but after one have set up personal settings of time and language for keyboard one use this one? 

title FatDog64 
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /fd64/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda1:/fd64save.ext3
initrd /fd64/initrd 

Where is that link and is this the recommended code also
for this Alpha Beta RC something?

Merry Christmas
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

LateAdopter

#6 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk and jamesbond

Thank you for this Fatdog.

No problems so far, apart from a little while trying to find the Control Panel. Not in the menu!

One question: I notice that you are still using VLC 2.0. Is there a problem with VLC 2.1.2 e.g. a dependency version conflict with FD?

Since you have Mesa 10.0, VDPAU should "work" with VLC 2.1 if it's built with VDPAU support. Although it's all very new, so what "work" means I'm not sure.

Anyway, it's only an academic question, for me, since there is no fixed RV770_uvd.bin from Christian König, that is needed for my RS880G.

Thanks again.

L18L

#7 Post by L18L »

Hej nooby

the link is here:[url]file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/boot-options.html[/url]

and your line
kernel /fd64/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda1:/fd64save.ext3

could be just something like
kernel /fd64/vmlinuz savefile=direct:local:/fd64save.ext3

Merry Xmas to all and another hej to nooby (the only swedish word I know :lol: )

kirk

#8 Post by kirk »

One question: I notice that you are still using VLC 2.0. Is there a problem with VLC 2.1.2 e.g. a dependency version conflict with FD?
VLC-2.1 doesn't play well with our version of glibc and replacing glibc isn't an option for 630.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Hey L18L
thanks for the link and boot code.
I don't have the inner motivation
to test just no the medication
make me kind of very sleepy
and a dull or dim bulb or not all the horses
at home or what to name it. see you later

Merry Christmas to all of you
Last edited by nooby on Wed 25 Dec 2013, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Gobbi

#10 Post by Gobbi »

Merry Christmas :!:

Gave rc2 a try and trying to get used with the new things... razor panel and sound mixer at first ... Tomorrow I'll continue testing .

Billtoo

Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013)

#11 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to an 8gb SDHC card, computer is a gateway desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 26 Dec 2013 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.6 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.14.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.117

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @1913 1: @1897 2: @1877 3: @1599 4: @3596 5: @1653 6: @1782 7: @1599 MHz

Memory 16417MB (311MB used)

Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
Linksys WUSB54GC 802.11g Adapter [ralink rt73]

The built-in wireless adapter wouldn't work reliably, dropping the
connection often so I plugged in my usb wireless adapter and it works
reliably.
I haven't tested much else yet other than to play a video at youtube
which worked great.

EDIT:
I forgot to uncheck the box if I was going to use the network wizard so I think the problem with the built-in wireless adapter is fixed.

EDIT:
Still having problems with the wireless connection.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(60.74 KiB) Downloaded 4442 times
screenshot.jpg
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 4540 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 19:29, edited 3 times in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

#12 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

I saw this explanation from Kirk. It may apply to the following question.

If SAMBA4 is smaller and equally featured and fast, as well, why is SAMBA3?

Anyway, this is still a very very very fast FATDOG.

This is one great achievement and a shining star in this community. MOST PCs sold since 2007 and certainly all since 2009 are 64bit capable, thus this may be a very welcomed distro to many members, new and old, in the community..

Happy Holidays and THANKS to both of you (and others I'm sure who have contributed/tested) for this Holiday present to us.

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

Very nice, thank you James & kirk - no problems so far.
Would suggest Claws more often favoured over Sylpheed by many. Anyone discovered whether new EudoraOSE works? [Yes, I know it's supposed to be == to Thunderbird now, but it isn't and Moz has retained the superior UI for the moment.]

Qualm

#15 Post by Qualm »

Hey guys, great work on this one!

I've had a full install of fatdog on a fairly old laptop since 620. Currently have a full install of 630rc1 but using rc2 off of a USB stick.
A problem I had with 630rc1 was going onto youtube (with any browser) was making my cpu usage hit the 90s and my fan go nuts. This isn't happening with rc2 at the moment, so I'm happy.

I also love the way the task bar looks now, especially the new battery indicator!

Just wondering, is it possible to set a UK keyboard? Also, is there a way to make the side windows in the menu instant like they are on other puppies?

Keep up the good work guys, Loving this new release!

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks Ted Dog.
Ted Dog wrote:Big bug.. no warning on low battery power cuts without notice..
Will need to test this.
Notes: boots from SDCARD in BIOS and UEFI modes. Can't see icons of SDcard when boots UEFI but can in BIOS mode. Had to reset card.
Not consistent, sometimes shows 2 of three partitions, or none
Will need to test this.
grub.cfg is not in EFI boot img so can't edit it when dd'ed to SDcard or USB.. I'm guessing its using the copy in ISO read only side. Will try to copy over and see if it can default for me. NO always sees frozen copy on (hd0) even after I deleted iso9660 driver :x
"dd" to SD card is for easy usage. Grub.cfg is outside efi.img so that it is modifiable without having to edit the image. For advanced usage like yours (ie making EFI bootable SD cards), will need to write some doco.
Spell checker still shreds on input boxes within SeaMonkey ( I guess the fix got unfixed, had not seen this in a while ) It seems to be related to ATI chipset.
:( regression beyond our control :(
linux /vmlinuz base2ram=expand

base2ram=expand
option not in help pages under boot options
This command line option still works :wink:
Ah yes forgot to add that. Thanks.

I see in other threads you reported about missing icons. What are you video card - is it nvidia or others? I know it is a problem with nouveau, but hopefully it isn't a bigger problem.
Sage wrote:Very nice, thank you James & kirk - no problems so far.
Would suggest Claws more often favoured over Sylpheed by many. Anyone discovered whether new EudoraOSE works? [Yes, I know it's supposed to be == to Thunderbird now, but it isn't and Moz has retained the superior UI for the moment.]
Claws is a little bit more complicated than Sylpheed to compile. I understand functionality-wise, it's similar to Sylpheed so I'm trying Sylpheed first to see whether it is worthwhile to spend time to build Claws. Otherwise, I welcome the community to build one and submit it for us for upload to the pet repo.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:additional Fatdog64-630rc2.iso 9e12d2983e4158be56f80dffcf04dda1 md5sum mirror
Thank you.
gcmartin wrote:I saw this explanation from Kirk. It may apply to the following question.

If SAMBA4 is smaller and equally featured and fast, as well, why is SAMBA3?
Samba4 is indeed smaller thatn samba3. Why it isn't there is because we haven't gotten around to do it. Plus - to do proper package, you don't just compile the stuff. You need to provide a reasonable configuration that works out of the box; create a Fatdog/puppy-specific startup files; and then test it to make sure that it works. For a large and complicated package like samba, this takes time.
Qualm wrote:Hey guys, great work on this one!
Thanks.
I've had a full install of fatdog on a fairly old laptop since 620. Currently have a full install of 630rc1 but using rc2 off of a USB stick.
A problem I had with 630rc1 was going onto youtube (with any browser) was making my cpu usage hit the 90s and my fan go nuts. This isn't happening with rc2 at the moment, so I'm happy.
That was because recent Xorg moved the hardware video acceleration from individual drivers to VDPAU, and in 630rc1 VDPAU isn't included - so all video decoding is done by CPU (VDPAU is available as a pet). In 630rc2 VDPAU is included in the base iso.
Just wondering, is it possible to set a UK keyboard?
Should be possible - are you talking about keyboard in console or keyboard in graphical desktop? If it's in graphical desktop - there is a settings in control panel. Doesn't it work for you?
Also, is there a way to make the side windows in the menu instant like they are on other puppies?
What do you mean by this, can you please explain?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

...build Claws. Otherwise, I welcome the community to build one
Maybe use the *buntu or Mint ones?
SM continues to be a pain - would be glad to see it permanently removed along with Tbird. BK is just about the only one who ever banged the drum for this browser; still don't believe his reasons about its suite-coupled additions are relevant nor optimal for most users. Coupling email with Opera never worked either, but Opera is still a superior browser which cannot be said of SM.

Qualm

#18 Post by Qualm »

jamesbond wrote:
Just wondering, is it possible to set a UK keyboard?
Should be possible - are you talking about keyboard in console or keyboard in graphical desktop? If it's in graphical desktop - there is a settings in control panel. Doesn't it work for you?
Aha found it! Was in Localisation > Keyboard localisation.
Thanks!
jamesbond wrote:
Also, is there a way to make the side windows in the menu instant like they are on other puppies?
What do you mean by this, can you please explain?

cheers!
In other puppy distros, when you hover the mouse over a menu item (for example, Graphic, Internet, Multimedia, etc) the sub menu opens instantly. In Fatdog, there is a slight delay. I was wondering if there is a way to remove this slight delay.

Thanks again.

gcmartin

SAMBA4 idea which may be of benefit to this thread's project

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Thank you @Jamesbond for your response.
JamesBond wrote:Samba4 is indeed smaller thatn samba3. Why it isn't there is because we haven't gotten around to do it. Plus - to do proper package, you don't just compile the stuff. You need to provide a reasonable configuration that works out of the box; create a Fatdog/puppy-specific startup files; and then test it to make sure that it works. For a large and complicated package like samba, this takes time.
I am NOT sure if this will help or not, as I would understand if this were not, BUT, I think @01Micko has a good brand for something extremely simple, if you find value.

In fact, what @TaZoC did was to incorporate, somehow, @01Micko's ease of use, menu start-up screen (SSM - "Simple SAMBA Management") so that many/most everyone has an good launch in sharing a folder on the LAN with NO reports of anyone getting it wrong. This occurs ONLY on the initial SAMBA launch by user.

This is true, NOT just for LH64, but also for 01Micko's PhatSlacko, where he plants SAMBA4 in its OOTB implementation.

This technology from @01Micko has been around for several years with no reports of issues in its use, hence, "Simple..." Further, in both cases extending SAMBA4, should anyone want to do, does NOT require searching and installing additional stuff so that SAMBA can be tested, diagnosed, or configured for LAN user authentication needs.

I am not developer, but, I hope this is found info to be helpful somehow. But, if there is value, then, there is consistency from a user point of view should they use any of the 3; namely FD6xx, LH64-6xx, or PhatSlacko5xx or the 32bit PET that @01Micko has made available. User would see the same friendliness.

Cheers! :)

L18L

Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013)

#20 Post by L18L »

booted without blacklist of drm module into 1024x768 resolution.

Here is howto configure for wide screen

(In rc1 I had 1600x1200 only.)

Terminal > xorgwizard
modesetting chosen and 1920x1080 24bit
RestartX

That's it. very nice.

locate is super fast in this version. (No error and no result :lol: )

Code: Select all

# updatedb
updatedb needs to be able to execute /usr/libexec/frcode, but cannot.
#
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
My "new" board
Cheapest fanless ITX I have found
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 351 times