Installing latest OPERA in Fatdog64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bushyiii

Installing latest OPERA in Fatdog64

#1 Post by bushyiii »

The OPERA WEBSITE asks what distribution to choose and what package format. I don't know how to answer these two questions for Fatdog.

IlluminatiPL

#2 Post by IlluminatiPL »

http://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/ [x86_64]

FatDog64/Slacko64 = x86_64
Puppy Linux/Slacko = i386/i486

LateAdopter

#3 Post by LateAdopter »

You can download and install the Ubuntu amd64 deb from Opera. Click on it in Rox filer to install it.

Then go to /usr/share/applications, right click the Opera desktop icon and choose edit as text. Remove the %U from the execute command and save.

Click on the icon to run Opera.

It takes a restart for the edit to get to the Opera entry in the menu, under Internet.

mikeslr

Opera64 from /mnt/home

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bushyiii,

I run opera64 from /mnt/home. Saves having to reinstall, configure, load bookmarks and extensions when I upgrade Fatdog64. Also can be used by any 64-bit Puppy.

Just download the tar version selecting tar.xz --tar.bz2 is probably OK-- to /mnt/home and unpack it. It will create and install itself into a folder probably named "opera". I changed the name to opera64 [no capital o] to distinguish it from the 32-bit version. It has to be named opera64 and reside on /mnt/home for the attached pet to work. The pet creates a menu entry.
If you use a different folder name, you'll find the script which calls the executable --opera-- in /root/my-applications/bin. Just change the folder designation in the script to correspond with the name and location of your opera folder.

mikesLr
Attachments
opera_external-.64.pet
Pet to create menu listing of opera64 on /mnt/home
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

bushyiii

Opera64 ---It works!!!!

#5 Post by bushyiii »

mikeslr. I used you pet, thanks much

Thanks everyone for the help; I have it installed and running from the Menu.