pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
technosaurus

#286 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:jwm-0.21 did have a build-in xload tray-thing beside clock - might be worth looking at that for a start. Can the svg be adapted to gtk1? (it is my impression that svg-support are linked to gtk2 but I might be total wrong)
IIRC as long as you build gdk-pixbuf and then librsvg (the module is in the librsvg package itself instead of gdkpixbuf) I'll have to check.

Re: tray apps ... maybe we are going about this all wrong - how about swallowing a gtkdialog1 app? ... it could monitor network, battery, volume, cpu, temperature, memory, savefile, weather, stock ticker, (this can be set by a single awk script) ... all in one (configurable) applet this would cut resource usage by only using one binary and also speed up loading of gtkdialog (because there is already a hot copy in ram)

That reminds me that I wanted to look into a way to allow running only a single instance of gtkdialog. I think if maybe we set up a pipe and use stdin as the gtkdialog input attached to that pipe it would be do-able from a while loop that just monitors a directory/file for new gtkdialog xml and cat's the new files (out to the pipe and into gtkdialog) ... I'm not sure how many windows gtkdialog1 is able to open simultaneously though (or how if at all) - It probably needs a way to tell the end of that window similar to </window> in gtkdialog2-4
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#287 Post by starhawk »

Requesting another tray app -- one for volume. alsamixer works -- but I've still got one mute puppy here...

goingnuts

#288 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus: gtkdialog1 can be swallowed by jwm so guess its more or less a question if we can make dynamic changing pixmaps or text to do it.

starhawk: So alsamixer works but does not give you sound or what?

Found an alternative xload-monitor (hot-babe-0.2.2-gtk1+2pets) and did a quick backport to gtk1 to a working state. Thought I better bury it here and not in the "Additional Software"-section...But the coding principle is interesting and could be used with other images - and it is more fun as-is than xload during a kernel-compile... Patch2gtk1 attached.
Attachments
hot-babe-0.2.2.diff.gz
fake .gz
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

starhawk

#289 Post by starhawk »

That's correct -- I can play CDs because that's handled 99% by the CD drive -- it just pipes audio to the computer and the computer dumps it to the speakers. I think.

But any sort of internal playback -- mp3 or wav -- doesn't happen. minimp3 and mpg123 both claim to be playing, but I get no sound whatsoever.

IIRC in mainline Puppies and most Puplets -- there are TWO volume controls. One is ALSA. The other is the volume tray app that doesn't exist in pUPnGO.

I suspect that in my case, the lack of a volume tray app may be causing problems. (I also want to say that I remember mucking around with either original pUPnGO or a very early pUPnGO2012 where we got the volume tray app put in, and suddenly I was able to fix the issue... but I can't remember for sure.)

Perhaps there's a way to simply pull that app from p412 and stuff it into pUPnGO2012? I mean, the pUPnGO2012+ version I'm working with started off at 116mb, so I'm not nearly as concerned about size as you are ;) Speed and size usually go hand-in-hand but I doubt I'd find another Puppy that's nearly this responsive on this system at this size. Heck, Puplite5 is ~79mb and it is nearly painful to use.

goingnuts

#290 Post by goingnuts »

Did you try this? Uses same functions as absvolume. What soundcard do you have?

starhawk

#291 Post by starhawk »

Hadn't tried pmvol. I'll check it out shortly.

The CPi D***XT models use the Crystal 4237B ISA-based card. Driver is snd-cs4236.ko.

goingnuts

#292 Post by goingnuts »

If you look in /sys/bus/isa/devices - is it mentioned there?
You might want to run alsaconf - it has the possibility to probe non-pnp ISA-cards - cant test if it works but it tries...
Take alsaconf, alsactl, amixer and aplay from P412 and try to run alsaconf. It needs bash and dialog and maybe some additional libraries. I do have a static cut-down version but its too big to post here and as said above I cant test if it really works.

starhawk

#293 Post by starhawk »

Had to install a GTK-1.2 pet to make it work. No probs there, but...

Code: Select all

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 0.
So it doesn't show up :(

starhawk

#294 Post by starhawk »

A (very) small contribution of my own -- icons for SNS-Retro ;)

Two icons, one 24px and the other 48px.
Attachments
snsretro48.png
48px icon for SNS-Retro.
(378 Bytes) Downloaded 268 times
snsretro24.png
24px icon for SNS-Retro.
(209 Bytes) Downloaded 253 times

goingnuts

#295 Post by goingnuts »

Nice...
Here is a static pmvol which works in pupngo2012 (here...)

starhawk

#296 Post by starhawk »

I think there's something wrong with that driver, or with ALSAmixer. I'm really not sure what's going on -- the ALSA settings aren't persistent between boots, and even when I jack the volume all the way up with pmvol, having maxed out nearly every setting in ALSAmixer, it still doesn't play MP3s.

Very strange.

Maybe the driver's not quite an exact match?

technosaurus

#297 Post by technosaurus »

if you need to test your sound try

cat ....bark.wav >/dev/dsp
or
cat ...bark.au >/dev/audio

(path is in /usr/share/...? audio or sound or something)

then you can tell if it is mixer problem

I posted one called mmix to the old pupngo thread a long time ago - it is extremely light and works with oss vs. alsa ... worth a try if you may have an old oss only card
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#298 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:technosaurus: gtkdialog1 can be swallowed by jwm so guess its more or less a question if we can make dynamic changing pixmaps or text to do it.
I submitted a patch to thunor to add this capability to gtkdialog-trunk, though I made provisions to use only (slower) gio functions for portability rather than using inotify directly. My patch added a watch for all files, but he added an attribute flag to turn on watching and made it work for other widgets as well (anything that gets input from a file). I can look at my early versions of SIT to use inotify for gtkdialog1 since we are pretty much the only users (does anyone know what kernel version added inotify? ... need to know that if you plan on sticking with the older kernel - I am standardizing my current code on linux-3.8 for specific reasons, so its hard to tell) anyhow let me know if anyone is interested in this or has suggestions to make it better for a specific project they have in mind.

starhawk

#299 Post by starhawk »

Code: Select all

cat /usr/share/audio/2barks.au > /dev/audio
...makes it bark! :D

Now: why on EARTH would the alsamixer settings not persist across boots? Started when I installed pmvol... I wonder if it has to do with this OSS-only stuff... what is OSS anyways?

technosaurus

#300 Post by technosaurus »

the .wav to /dev/dsp didn't though?

I also wanted to point this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834760001
($40 netbook)

I ordered one myself and it seems like the perfect little testbox for an arm'ngo experiment. Craig has a zip file with the "firmware" inside as raw files with shell scripts, so it is straight forward to figure out what modules are needed and how to install it to disk ... though the uboot configuration may need further study as it is significantly different from grub, lilo, syslinux and isolinux

Ibidem

#301 Post by Ibidem »

OSS (Open Sound System) is the old audio system for Linux, and what every UNIX other than OS X and Linux uses. It uses open, write, and ioctls to play audio.
/dev/dsp or /dev/*/dsp is OSS.
ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) is the new audio system for Linux, which uses its oun API. /dev/audio is ALSA.
On Linux, there are 3 implementations of OSS:
1) OSS3, the old kernel drivers
2) OSS4, the new out-of-tree drivers
with all sorts of features like virtual mixers...
3) the snd-pcm-oss module, a shim that uses an ALSA driver.
Make sure to load this, some programs like minimp3 need OSS!

Sound volume is not natively persistent; an initscript saves volume at shutdown, then restores on boot. I don't know how to do this off the top of my head.

starhawk

#302 Post by starhawk »

Didn't try /dev/dsp. I'll do that later.

Ordered a 20gb mechanical hard drive from eBay. Better than a 4gb compactflash card, but noisier. Whatever. I can deal with the racket.

I have an ASUS 1000HEB. It's got a 10.4" screen and that thing is CRAMPED. Not going smaller if I can help it -- unless it fits in my pocket somehow.

starhawk

#303 Post by starhawk »

Didn't try /dev/dsp. I'll do that later.

Ordered a 20gb mechanical hard drive from eBay. Better than a 4gb compactflash card, but noisier. Whatever. I can deal with the racket.

I have an ASUS 1000HEB. It's got a 10.4" screen and that thing is CRAMPED. Not going smaller if I can help it -- unless it fits in my pocket somehow.

PANZERKOPF

#304 Post by PANZERKOPF »

Ibidem wrote: Sound volume is not natively persistent; an initscript saves volume at shutdown, then restores on boot. I don't know how to do this off the top of my head.
alsactl store # Store audiomixer settings
alsactl restore # Load audiomixer settings
SUUM CUIQUE.

greengeek

#305 Post by greengeek »

darkcity has posted a thread regarding a malware that uses a bash script to wipe important info on a Linux system. Which is another good reason for running a cutdown system like pupngo, 'cos it doesn't have the ability to run bash does it?

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/r ... ber-attack