pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
starhawk

#256 Post by starhawk »

Driver madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-k2.6.25.16.pet works with Belkin F5D7010 ver.8 CardBus card, from thread here --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159

Unfortunately, this version of pUPnGO 2012+Extras doesn't have the SNS pet, and wireless.sh doesn't work right for me. I'll see if I can hunt down the SNS-Retro dotpet.

EDIT: Found SNS-Retro. Also installed the rtl8192cu driver from the thread in the link above -- last page (page 17), 1st post on that page.

Works with my Edimax USB Wireless-N card quite nicely!

Next step is to download a better browser. No offense meant, goingnuts, but Dillo is a rather ugly choice...

starhawk

#257 Post by starhawk »

Now accepting recommendations for a better-than-Dillo GTK1 browser ;)

Even QtWeb requires GTK+. goingnuts, would it be possible at all for me to convince you to give me a pUPnGO-compatible dotpet of GTK+?

Tried --
QtWeb - FAILED because no GTK+.
Amaya - FAILED because libpng too new and glibc too old.
hv3 - FAILED - "/usr/bin/hv3: exec: line 2: wish: not found"

Any more suggestions...?

Ibidem

#258 Post by Ibidem »

starhawk wrote:Now accepting recommendations for a better-than-Dillo GTK1 browser ;)

Even QtWeb requires GTK+. goingnuts, would it be possible at all for me to convince you to give me a pUPnGO-compatible dotpet of GTK+?

Tried --
QtWeb - FAILED because no GTK+.
Amaya - FAILED because libpng too new and glibc too old.
hv3 - FAILED - "/usr/bin/hv3: exec: line 2: wish: not found"

Any more suggestions...?
I have a hard time believing that a fully static Qt application like QtWeb needs GTK+. What gives this impression?

hv3: Fetch the tcl/tk pet from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 291#599291
That has wish.

Also, dillo3 is better (ssl, css) than dillo1 (if you can find a suitable binary), and links-hacked or links2 will give you a plain but graphical browser, capable of handling ssl

technosaurus

#259 Post by technosaurus »

the combined version of hv3 should work fine and has at least some javascript support via libsee

I would have to recommend trying to build the framebuffer version of netsurf.
(the framebuffer can use xcb as a backend which is even smaller than tinyX11 and multithread capable)
recent development versions will build with javascript support via spidermonkey ... here is a link to the source of the last C-only version:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... rc1.tar.gz
if you don't need javascript, netsurf-2.9 is still pretty good and also supports an xcb framebuffer (the bonus is that it can also use the linux framebuffer backend so you can use it outside of X also)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#260 Post by starhawk »

@Ibidem -- QtWeb demands libgobject-2.0. Google tells me that such is part of GTK+. My guess is/was that if it needed part of GTK+, it would likely need (or at least expect) all of GTK+.

@technosaurus -- make does some flamboyantly horrible things in my presence. I rather think I should stay well away from compiling -- particularly since pUPnGO still technically doesn't have a devx! (I'd have to use the P412 devx IIRC, and, considering that pUPnGO is so minimal as to have significant structural differences with mainline Puppies, I'm not sure how well that would go...)

goingnuts

#261 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk: You are indeed a persistent person in terms of getting pupngo at work - thanks!
ath5k - maybe I remember wrong but I think I got it working in the past in P410 or P411 but it would not work in P412. As pupngo is quite P412-centric it might be worth looking at drivers from the other two?
Edit: No P410 and P412 ath5k.ko are identical so I did remember wrong...
Sound - nice reference! xhippo uses mpg123 or minimp3 - have you tried playing with those from command line? X hippo is quite extensible. Another CD-player is grib - "pretty" and you get a CD ripper on top...
Have you tried if pmvol works?
goingnuts, would it be possible at all for me to convince you to give me a pUPnGO-compatible dotpet of GTK+?
Probably not 8)

For browsers the links-2.7 is plain but functional as Ibidem points out - I have a static build here
Or you might try out some of the (semi-)static builds found here
I think technosaurus posted a static version of Opera somewhere in the original pupngo thread...
For me dillo is "best choice" - and it has some potential for expansion/upgrade - if only one had the time :-(

And thanks for the very useful links to sound/wireless solutions!
Opps: Forgot to address the aumix - attached xmixer static build might suite your hardware better...?
Attachments
xmixer.gz
fake .gz
(86.59 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Last edited by goingnuts on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

starhawk

#262 Post by starhawk »

Seamonkey is probably the best choice, after all -- I want something that can access most webmail clients (QtWeb often has trouble with that) among other things.

Er... is there ANY chance of running Flash on this computer? Even the Flash7 version 'hacked' to lie about its age (lol) and claim that it's Flash 9?

Maybe there's a way to make it lie about being eg Flash 11?

starhawk

#263 Post by starhawk »

To address the other points --

I'll give pmvol, grip, and links-2.7 their fair chance :P

I don't see an attachment (yet?) for xmixer. EDIT: nvm, there it is.

goingnuts

#264 Post by goingnuts »

Don´t know about flash but for web mail I prefer to use sylpheed - swift and lean - and kind of made for that stuff anyway.

starhawk

#265 Post by starhawk »

Sorry, forgot to post system specs -- this is The Infernal Dell again...

Dell CPi D300XT
300MHz Pentium II CPU
128mb RAM
NeoMagic graphics
Dell Optical-Drive Bay Module "hacked" to use a Combo Drive instead of a 24x CD-ROM drive (a vast improvement over stock)
4gb (but fast!) CompactFlash "hard drive" (CF card in IDE adapter)
IIRC there's a swap partition but I've long forgotten what size.
EDIT: duh... pmconky told me, swap is 383mb /EDIT

So... Flash or no Flash, that is the question :lol:

EDIT2: stupid question -- now that I've stripped the *.bz2 off the end of the Seamonkey TAR files, how should I unTAR them? IIRC there are a lot of CLI options for that... what do I use?

goingnuts

#266 Post by goingnuts »

Do not know if its wise to remove the bz2...!
If inside pupngo play the guitar :D
Normal commandline(tar.bz2): "tar -xjf XXX.tar.bz2"
if tar.gz: "tar -xzf XXX.tar.gz"
but there might be variants...

starhawk

#267 Post by starhawk »

bzip2 = "invalid magic"

Redownloading.

EDIT: wonder where that tag came from...?

Also, duh on "invalid magic" as I *did* bunzip2 it earlier... a simple rename ain't gonna fix that!

starhawk

#268 Post by starhawk »

OK, got Seamonkey 2 downloaded and un-TARBZ2'd. So where do I put the 'seamonkey' directory (it's in /mnt/home right now) and how do I 'install' it? Symlink something to something, I'm sure, but what?

Keef

#269 Post by Keef »

starhawk

You can just copy libgobject to get QTWeb working. Doesn't need the rest of gtk+.
Posting from it on pupngo right now.

starhawk

#270 Post by starhawk »

oh :oops: can you post it, please, so I don't have to go a-huntin'?

Keef

QTWeb needed libs

#271 Post by Keef »

Here you go...
(libgobject-2.0.so.0.1400.2 plus a symlink) Taken from 412.
Attachments
qtweb_libs.tar.gz
(51.83 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

starhawk

#272 Post by starhawk »

Great, now I don't have to mess around with Seamonkey.

One last request, and that should be it for a while. Is there a way to show network status in the JWM tray? NOT having that is a real bother indeed!

goingnuts

#273 Post by goingnuts »

Maybe this one will do... :)

starhawk

#274 Post by starhawk »

Thanks!

Going to make a fresh savefile, something weird's going on -- I have no idea why, but bash can't find the QtWeb binary. ls show's it's there (in green) so bash should be able to open it, but it won't.

Whatever. "We can rebuild him"... lol.

Keef

#275 Post by Keef »

I feel your pain....
After a reboot QtWeb stated complaining about a missing libjpeg. It was working fine before.
It's about time I started from scratch again. Lost track of what I installed myself, and what was already there.

Also, just for the sake of it, here is a little CLI typing tutor called "Repeat After Me" from http://litcave.rudi.ir/. Just copy what's on screen (random characters), and it gives speed and accuracy results at the end.
To keep it in pupngo stylee, it is statically compiled (with Musl), and it is about the limit of my capabilites so far. Keeps me off the streets anyway.
There is also a little CLI mp3 player on that site called minmad, which might be of interest - only 6380B stripped when compiled dynamically.
Attachments
ram.gz
Repeat After Me - CLI typing exercise (not really a tutor) Remove the .gz
(16.88 KiB) Downloaded 217 times