Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Jun 2019, 20:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Installation Problems
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
3novice78

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 14:39    Post subject:  Re: Installation Problems
Subject description: not solved

Monsie wrote:
Hi 3novice78,

To launch SeaMonkey from the terminal:

Code:
cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey

You should be able to run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in Wary Puppy 5.0 I am currently running this version of SeaMonkey in Wary Puppy 5.3 As Karl suggested, I would download SeaMonkey from the Mozilla site that he provided. Extract the downloaded package, then you should be able to launch SeaMonkey using the commands above. This is the easiest method in my experience. That said, there are a few things to consider in order to run SeaMonkey smoothly...
    run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 as a second browser instead of trying to upgrade your existing version of SeaMonkey,
    put SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in the recommended directory which is --> /usr/local/lib/ as stated in the seamonkey shell script
    make a separate profile for running SeaMonkey 2.9.1 if you are concerned about losing bookmarks and other data from your original SeaMonkey especially if it is version 1x

To create a separate profile for SeaMonkey 2.9.1 using the recommended location as defined in the shell script, run this command first before launching the browser:

Code:
cd /usr/local/lib/seamonkey
./seamonkey -profilemanager

Lastly, consider making a symlink to the seamonkey shell script if you don't want to bother with going to the terminal all of the time to launch the browser. I explained one way of doing so at the end of this thread here.

Hope this helps,
Monsie

I have already tired this several times for Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and Puppy Wary 5.0.
Nothing happens. I must be missing a file or something and all the suggestions I get are not solving my problem. Like I said there must be something I am doing wrong and I can't figure it out.
Embarassed
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 19:43    Post subject:  

Notice :

If you install a tarball , make sure you cp the content from the WORKING DIRECTORY ie /root/my-documents or /root/Downloads into something like the PATH .

I do it like runtt21 on Macpup Fox 3 : I put it into /lib/firefox and not into /usr/lib/ which is crowded already .

/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop has to be adjusted for the PATH :

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FireFox 602 web browser
#Icon=/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png
#Icon=www48.png
#Icon=default48.png
Icon=/lib/firefox-602/chrome/icons/default/default48.png
Comment=FireFox web browser
Exec=/lib/firefox-602/firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=FireFox web browser
3novice78

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:03    Post subject:  

[quote]Code:
cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey
Monsie I did as you said in the terminal above
I typed:
cd /usr/local/seanonkey
./seamonkey
the result was this error.
Illegal instruction
Can anyone help me solve this problem Crying or Very sad
Monsie

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012, 03:59    Post subject: Installation Problems  

3novice78 wrote:
Quote:

Code:cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey
Monsie I did as you said in the terminal above
I typed:
cd /usr/local/seanonkey
./seamonkey
the result was this error.
Illegal instruction
Can anyone help me solve this problem Crying or Very sad

This type of error is a crash. It is likely occurring because SeaMonkey was compiled using instruction sets in its code that your cpu does not support. How old is your system? Some specific details here might be useful.
Quote:
I have tried to install newer versions of Linux OS (like someone suggested) but my computer gives me an error. So the highest I can go is Puppy Wary 5.0.

You may have to recognize the limitations of your hardware and therefore use an earlier version of SeaMonkey in order to achieve a degree of success here.

Monsie

3novice78

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012, 11:34    Post subject:  
Subject description: Understand now what is happening

Quote:
You may have to recognize the limitations of your hardware and therefore use an earlier version of SeaMonkey in order to achieve a degree of success here.
Monsie

Monsie: I have a Compaq Presario model#5360. I believe that my coputer is to old and will not be able to run the newer browsers. I am not looking to update my computer because I already have an updated one. I was just looking to use my older cmputer with the linux system because I want to become more than just a novice with the Linux OS and I want to understand the command line better.
Anyway, thank you everyone that gave me suggestions and your patience. Theses forums really do help people solve problems by taking the time to answer. It is greatly appreciated. Smile
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012, 12:59    Post subject:
Subject description: Understand now what is happening

3novice78 wrote:
Quote:
Monsie

Monsie: I have a Compaq Presario model#5360. I believe that my coputer is to old and will not be able to run the newer browsers. I am not looking to update my computer because I already have an updated one. I was just looking to use my older cmputer with the linux system because I want to become more than just a novice with the Linux OS and I want to understand the command line better.
Anyway, thank you everyone that gave me suggestions and your patience. Theses forums really do help people solve problems by taking the time to answer. It is greatly appreciated. Smile

Does this look like it?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93245&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00191380

How much RAM does your machine have?

I have Puppy 5.25 Retro running on a 333MHz laptop, with 256MB RAM (and a 512MB swap). I can even load Firefox, though it's very slow with that much browser running.

hp wrote:
450 MHz AMD K6-2 processor with 3DNow! technology...
... three total DIMM slots upgradable to 384 MB

I also ran Puppy on a 900 Athlon, with 384MB RAM.

You can get 5.25 Retro here:

http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/uploads/lucid-retro-525-2.6.30.5-v4/lupu-525-2.6.30.5-v4.iso

And the discussion thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=521627#521627

My laptop showed a memory load of about 65MB, with nothing extra running (I always prevent the .sfs from loading to RAM -- save the RAM for other things).

Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: