Anyone know what modem is in this ThinkPad?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
SnowDog

Anyone know what modem is in this ThinkPad?

#1 Post by SnowDog »

ThinkPad 1161-93U - PIII 750 laptop, has a built in modem and I don't know what kind.
I tried scanModem, but got no answers from it.

Thanks
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

See here www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=93291
Someone has this modem working with a SmartLink driver, even though the modem is apparently a Lucent 56K AC'97 Modem

For Puppy 1.0.4-1.0.9 there is an "slmodem" PupGet package.

For Puppy2, both the Lucent and SmartLink software modem kernel drivers are included in the live-CD iso file. Use the Modem Wizard.

SnowDog

Thanks

#3 Post by SnowDog »

I tried all the available modem packages in 1.0.8. They work for Compaq E500 but no luck in the ThinkPad so far.

P.S.
as for the drivers being included in Puppy 2, Do you mean they'll be in the final? Because I got P2 fired up on the T-Pad & no drivers or modem detection in there.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

flakjakk

#4 Post by flakjakk »

The 750, if memory serves, has an IBM MWave sound system. It is Soundblaster 16 compatible.

There are a number of ThinkpPad / Linux sites out there.
Will get back to you

HTH.

flakjakk

#5 Post by flakjakk »

Go here for starters: http://tuxmobil.org/modem_linux_tips.html
This page [http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html] will show you that both Gentoo and Slackware have been tested on the 750 - click the links for more detail.

May you meet with success - the Perennial Newbie.

--------------------------------------------------------

BTW, don't you mean,"What's the difference between a duck's feet?".

SnowDog

Thanks flakjakk

#6 Post by SnowDog »

I'm lookin into this some more. but... it's all pretty confusing to me. Guess I'm getting used to this dot-pup system now. click, reboot, go...
Someday (maybe) I'll have the time to play with it more and actually figure out how to do this myself, but just too much on the go right now.
So.... I really appreciate you & everyone else who helps me & all the other noobs with these things.
Just an aside to this...
I have either installed, or attempted to install: Debian, Ubuntu, Suse, Knoppix, Yoper, Libranet, Mepis, FC4, Mandriva and probably others that don't come to mind at the moment, onto these laptops. I have been un-successful at getting a working modem in anything but a Compaq E500 using Mepis, (except for Puppy, it works in a couple clicks with a dot-pup with everything so far except this Think-Pad)

I won't get into any distro bashing here as I'm sure they are all great for particular purposes, but I just wanted to point out, that even though some of the ones I've mentioned here are touted as the best in terms of "Easy or Simple to Use" distro's, and apparently have great & helpful user groups for support, There is nothing I've tried that even comes close to touching Puppy, for ease of use or understanding for a windoze convert.

Every so often, when I come to this forum...and ask a boneheaded question, that I might be able to solve myself if I had the time to search & learn more....and get people like you answering it....and you guys go out of your way, spend your time searching & figuring out what's wrong and how to fix it....and answer me in a way that tells me... you understand that I need step by step instructions instead of some version of RTFM....
I just get this overwhelming desire to say...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!...so to all of you, Thanks

keenerd

#7 Post by keenerd »

Only site Thinkpadders will ever need:
http://www.thinkwiki.org

And here's a freebie: You have a Thinkpad i1200. Remember that. Forget the "1161-93U" nonsense.

This is your laptop:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:I1200

And this is your modem:
Lucent 56K AC'97

For good measure, your sound chip is a CS4299 AC'97, described here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CS4299

SnowDog

a wee bit more help?

#8 Post by SnowDog »

Hey thanks so much for the help so far... & I'm really sorry for being such a pain in the ass, but it's just not sinking in or something.

I tried the, (all the) ltmodem drivers for puppy, installed them as alien packages (one at a time). I even tried some other LT ones I found (somewhere on net, don't recall now)

I did it like this...
Install driver as alien package.
reboot puppy.
watch stuff go up screen too fast to read it. (I forget how to stop it)
run modem wizard = no modem detected.
run wvdial (just in case) = no modem detected.
install different ltmodem driver using same method.
reboot puppy.
""
get same error results.
install a third ltmodem driver using same method...
run modem wizard.

This time however, I got a new button in the modem wizard called ttyLT0.
click ttyLT0 button & get error message as follows:

"Failed to load module. Did you remember to reboot puppy?"
Told it to save anyway, just in case, tried reboot, modem wizard, wvdial, same result.

Fired up package manager & removed (un-installed) all modem drivers shown in right pane...rebooted.
Ran modem wizard again, deleted saved configuration, reboot puppy, re-run modem wizard, ttyLT0 button is still there, clicking it gives same (failed to load module) error as before.

Now I'm kinda confused, since I don't remember which driver gave me the ttyLT0 button in the first place and, I don't know why it's still trying & failing to load the driver. (do I have to un-install these manually?)

Is there some steps I need to do manually to get it to load properly in the first place?

I can re-install a fresh puppy and start over from scratch, if anyone is willing to walk me through this. (1.08 is installed at the moment, but I have other versions if that will help)

Really appreciate all the help - thanks to all who take the time to read this.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

tempestuous wrote:For Puppy2, both the Lucent and SmartLink software modem kernel drivers are included in the live-CD iso file. Use the Modem Wizard.
I got this information from the news page - http://www.puppylinux.com/news.htm - Mar 4

SnowDog

Yep, Tempestuous, I read that too

#10 Post by SnowDog »

Yep, I read that too,
but they are hiding if they're in the release of P2 that I tried.
It's gotta be something simple (usually is) but I'm just getting brain-dead (if I wasn't to begin with) from reading so much info and not being smart enough about this stuff, to realize what is pertinent to my particular purpose.

I got the Compaq E500 ones going no problem with Puppy 1.08 & the ltmodem-2.6.alk.7-k2.6.11.11 driver. Just click & go (after a reboot) weird too, cuz it's the first time I ever got gkdial to work on anything that wvdial doesn't work on.

I should probably walk away from this for a week or so and come back to re-inforce my theory that, everything will just start to work if I don't touch it for a while.

Thanks for the pointers

BruceB

Win/Linmodem success with Thinkpad T30 -- SmartLink driver!

#11 Post by BruceB »

My laptop is a T30 2366-A4U, with a mini PCI modem identified by the Puppy Modem Wizard as "Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev2)". When you open the box, there is a modem daughter card (see http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Modem_Dau ... _%28MDC%29), labeled FRU P/N 26P8477, that has an Ambit (formerly Lucent) chip set. I have been unable to find any more specific identification of the chip set.

Having found this much, I wrongly assumed that the modem would respond to the Lucent drivers, and wasted time trying to get that to work -- no good.

I then tried to find a PCMCIA modem to buy from among the ones said to work on the Wiki ModemPageWorking page (see http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ModemPageWorking) -- spent over an hour searching, but the 3 PCMCIA modems listed there seem to be obsolete and no longer sold.

Finally I had the sense to try the SmartLink modem driver from PupGet, and it worked fine the first time. I would not have thought that this would work, because my modem (1) is from Lucent and (2) is not labeled SmartLink nor, as far as I can tell, has any of the chip sets listed on the Puppy HOWTO page.

Bottom line -- don't give up on your software modem until you have tried the SmartLink driver!