Changes in darktable 2.0 : lessons and how-to

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Pelo

#1 Post by Pelo »

Some feed back old topics :
Which photo management is best and where is it located ?
It's difficult to say because different users will have quite different requirements.
Some people love Picasa or Digikam. I like to just use something like Xnview Smile. In the past some of these programs would have been difficult to install in Puppy, but hopefully that will no longer be the case with the new Puppies based on Ubuntu etc.
You should probably look at Shotwell as well.
RawTherapee or Lightzone (I don't know if you can still get the free older Linux version from anywhere) might be helpful.
"

Your tahrpup puppy should run XNconvert and xnview without adding anything.

"If you are into photography and are looking for a great free raw editor similar to Adobe Lightroom, you're in luck. Darktable 1.0.3 is here! I have been using earlier versions of this software for a few months in Ubuntu and have gotten impressive results with it -- even in heavily edited scanned jpegs. Of course, good results take a bit of practice, but I've been able to apply overall effects and corrections directly and non-destructively to raw images while reserving GIMP for work with paint tools, layers and masks. I have now packaged it as one of my hassle-free roxapps for LucidPup 5.2. Like my other roxapps, it includes all dependencies and runs successfully in a stock LucidPup session"

I never thought of applying the default gtk theme to darktable, as I'm quite satisfied with its original appearance. Still, it is nice to know that I can do that if I want to. I'm glad to find that it works well for you. I discovered darktable a few months ago and while there was a bit of a learning curve (specifically the export from lighttable feature), I have been enjoying the superb results I have gotten from it. For extremely large images (like 40+ megapixel panoramas for example), however, a large amount of RAM is required for darktable to export it -- even though you can still modify it. It seems that darktable is most comfortable running with at least 4 GB RAM on a 64-bit system, though it works ok on 32-bit with only 1 GB RAM. I'll just leave the large panoramas to RawTherapee for now, I guess

Pelo

#2 Post by Pelo »

My opinion : three kinds of jobs
Edit the picture : change the picture (as MTpaint, Darktable ... )
organize your picture collection (diaporama) as XNview
Add information by adding layers (generally titles) as Gpaint
and a fourth one, download from your camera..
If your english is fluent, lot of videos explain how-to use Darktable. But i hardly understand the english speaker explanations :(
Darktable needs more of this kind of video walkthrough as it's very difficult for users to really understand the new features from the release notes.

darktable
is an open source photography workflow application and RAW developer.
- how to use the powerful Equalizer module.
"you need to enable it in the "more modules" list. In the darkroom, at the bottom of the modules area on the right, open "more modules" and click on equalizer. It should appear under the correction group. While you're there, enable profiled denoise and anything else you fancy testing out. You can also add them to your favourite (star) group or hide them again by clicking on them."

- How to use the shadows and highlights and graduated density plugins to help deal with the high dynamic range in the image, and introduce the basics of the waveform.

- Can you tell us how to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.0 ?
Attachments
videos.jpg
You shall know everything about Darktable, Lucky Puppy UK citizens.
(57.93 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

Pelo

Topic en français

#3 Post by Pelo »

Attachments
MaCasquette.JPG
çà c'est Paris !
(59.83 KiB) Downloaded 171 times