THINSlacko

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rufwoof

#106 Post by rufwoof »

For grub4dos Frugalers here's a Pup that takes around 20 seconds to remaster

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

puppy sfs is contained within initrd so you just need the two files vmlinuz and initrd

Quite a biggie initrd at around 264MB - as its uncompressed (compressed it drops down to around a 77MB pup).

To boot : my grub4dos menu.lst contains a entry of

title fast_remaster_pup
kernel (hd0,2)/pups/frm/vmlinuz pfix=ram,nocopy
initrd (hd0,2)/pups/frm/initrd

Rather than using savefiles, if you boot, make desired changes and then click the 'remaster' icon on the desktop that will create new copies of vmlinuz and initrd in the home directory (/root). You can change the content of INITRD_LOCATION file in /root to point to another directory where the new vmlinuz and initrd are created - such as where grub4dos looks to boot.

No ISO's or CD required for the remastering, its all integral.

Personally I don't use savefiles, I just reboot, make desired changes and remaster. I keep all data/docs outside of puppy space (on HDD) and use portable versions of Libre Office and Firefox (I also use online email), so after a few remasters and getting the core puppy how you like it there's little need for savefiles.

Best not to remaster after any sfs's have been loaded, and instead always reboot, make desired configuration changes and then remaster before loading any sfs's/pet's. That way they're kept outside of the core puppy and can be changed/replaced with later versions etc as and when desired.

Set up for a UK users (keyboard, country etc.), but just a matter of boot, run setup to configure you net connection, country, keyboard etc.... and then remaster, and copy (replace) the initrd and vmlinuz files where grub4dos looks with the new versions in /root

PS there's a firefox script in /root - that grabs a copy of the latest firefox direct from mozilla

unicorn316386

#107 Post by unicorn316386 »

@rufwoof: Interesting idea. I played with your files and it remasters really fast. Would be neat to see a version of this based off Slacko 6.

greengeek

#108 Post by greengeek »

Sexy. I'm gonna try this.

rufwoof

#109 Post by rufwoof »

Quite a simple concept. Keep the core puppy small with the intent to add in additional functions/apps via SFS loading. With Abi, gnumeric ...etc stripped out the core puppy is quite light, weighs in at around 77MB in size at higher levels of compression, 265MB without compression. In more modern PC's 256MB is pretty small nowadays and not using compression makes the remaster process more or less just a simple copy process (fast).

I changed the original remaster script to instead pick up on copies of initrd.gz (the small version) and vmlinuz that are contained within the puppy itself, so no need for a CD to remaster.

I've stored that all under /usr/sbin/REMASTER where there's a ISO-FILES folder that contains the small initrd.gz, vmlinuz etc (that are normally on CD), a remasterpup3 which is the reworked remaster script, and remaster excutable script that does the pre/post processing around calling remasterpup3 i.e. after remasterpup3 finishes the remaster script extracts the initrd, copies in puppy sfs, reforms the (larger) initrd ...etc.

In my own version I have a script that unloads/loads the sfs's I use before/after remastering. My remaster script calls the unload of those before running the remastering process, and reloads them again afterwards. I have a script that loads multiple sfs's in the blink of a eye such that the lag from unloading/reloading sfs's is almost unnoticeable.

load looks like

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

for i in audacity-1M.sfs LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz-high-comp.sfs skype43-1M.sfs blender259-1M.sfs inkscape-1M.sfs openshot1.4-1M.sfs xvidcap1M.sfs; do
  f=`losetup -f`
  if [ ! -d /initrd/pup_$i ]; then
    mkdir -p /initrd/pup_$i
    losetup $f /initrd/pup_ro2/OFFICE/$i
    mount -r -t squashfs -o noatime $f /initrd/pup_$i
    busybox mount -t aufs -o remount,append:/initrd/pup_$i=ro unionfs /
  fi
done
nice fixmenus
# fire up libre tray icon (doesn't matter if restart as libre handles multi-calls ok
/opt/libreoffice4.2/program/soffice --quickstart &
nice jwm -reload
unload looks like

#!/bin/bash
# Kill libre tray icon
kill `ps | grep quickstart | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
for i in audacity-1M.sfs LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz-high-comp.sfs skype43-1M.sfs blender259-1M.sfs inkscape-1M.sfs openshot1.4-1M.sfs xvidcap1M.sfs; do
  LOOPDEV=`losetup | grep -w $i | cut -d: -f 1`
  if [ "$LOOPDEV" != "" ]; then
     busybox mount -t aufs -o remount,del:/initrd/pup_$i unionfs /
     busybox umount $LOOPDEV
     #  losetup -d $LOOPDEV
     rmdir /initrd/pup_$i
  fi
done
nice fixmenus
nice jwm -reload
I actually drop the sfs's I use the most also into the initrd file as I PXE (netboot) some PC's on the LAN and having libre ..etc sfs's included makes things easier/neater, but does bloat the size of initrd up to around 450MB.

Assuming reasonably fast internet access speeds (broadband) then another choice would be like how firefox is loaded - a wget script to pull down sfs's from the cloud (internet server where the sfs's were stored). i.e. small core puppy, everything else loaded via sfs's retrieved remotely.

I absolutely love having a fixed puppy that boots to the exact same image each and every time as once other apps that work well together and with puppy have been identified and tied in then there's no risk of corruption/unwanted configuration changes etc when you use a fixed version of puppy. And if I do want to make a change then a reboot, make change, remaster locks in those changes. Everything else I keep outside of puppy space (on HDD/USB). No need for a savefile, only need to make sure backups of other stuff are periodically made.

rufwoof

#110 Post by rufwoof »

Mozilla in their wisdom have two versions listed in their most recent 'latest version' folder and the Firefox (get firefox) script in the home directory was stalling due to having two filenames when expecting just one. I've added a sed '1!d' filter to the latest version detection script code so that it continues to run to completion as expected. That's a quick fix that picks up the preceding to latest version (41.0.1 instead of 41.0.2 currently) but I guess that will automatically be corrected when Mozilla again drop back to having just a single version listed in their latest version folder.

I've re-uploaded a remastered initrd (I've also added noscript and zoom addons to the home directory so that they're automatically installed whenever firefox is downloaded).

unicorn316386

#111 Post by unicorn316386 »

rufwoof wrote:I absolutely love having a fixed puppy that boots to the exact same image each and every time as once other apps that work well together and with puppy have been identified and tied in then there's no risk of corruption/unwanted configuration changes etc when you use a fixed version of puppy.
Me too. I usually perfect my savefile right off the bat, then turn off saving, so it always boots the same image after, and there are no unwanted "surprises" the next morning. Being able to remaster the changes quickly into the original is a nice concept.

Pelo

Thin Slacko.

#112 Post by Pelo »

remaster and save file is not the same. Remaster is permanent. You can choose your save file for the Puppy of the day. Like women can choose their dress.
Its not remaster or savefile, it can be remaster and savefiles (several)
The aim is to keep thin, thin slacko. Or Racy 5.3. A Puppy for 100 to 110 MB, browser included, is a real Puppy, in my opinion.
If you I need fat, load SFS on the fly.

slavvo67

#113 Post by slavvo67 »

Light on pets but that's good. Let's you install what you want. Funny, the SNS did not pick up my wireless card but Frisbee did. That's been happening in a few puppies lately. Odd.....

I installed it to a USB with Unetbootin. Video initially did not work properly; ran xorgwizard and now fine.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

rufwoof

#114 Post by rufwoof »

86.9MB ISO called s533t_with_integral_remaster currently being uploaded to https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

If you boot and before filling in any country etc details - just minimise that window (not close), and make any changes required/desired, and then navigate to /usr/sbin/REMASTER and click the 'remater' script, then that will remaster a new version of initrd in the /root directory (after a long, long wait as it uses extreme compression (very slow)).

That ISO has puppy sfs inserted into initrd. It also has a get_latest_firefox script in the home directory (/root) that will download/run the latest version of firefox from mozilla. I've dropped in a few addon's under /root so once downloaded that firefox will have NoScript, Zoom, have the default search engine set to DuckDuck (lite) and have downloads set to automatically prompt for where to save files to. It also has its home page set to that googledrive folder/directory, so you can grab other SFS's etc. I also included a couple of bookmarks, one to that download folder and another to this thread/board.

Personally I just download the ISO, extract vmlinuz and initrd and drop them into a folder on my HDD, and then update menu.lst (grub4dos) to point to those files.

After booting download what sfs's/pet's you desire and install those etc.

This version has frisbee and firewall already activated so I guess for many it will auto-connect on bootup.

If you do use a savefile (I don't) then firefox after being downloaded is stored under /root i.e. something like /root/firefox-41.0.2 folder. So to update to a later version as and when such becomes available just delete that folder and then click/execute the get_latest_firefox script.

If you find the remaster script too painfully slow then edit /usr/sbin/REMASTER/remasterpup3 script (make sure you right click 'Open as Text' to edit that file and not just click it, as that will execute it) and and search for RufWoof and you'll see some COPTIONS that are commented out. Uncomment one of those as you prefer for instance the -noI -noD ... one uses no compression so that really flies when remastering - but leaves you with a much bigger initrd. Personally I like the COPTIONS="-comp gzip -Xcompression-level 1" choice best myself, a little compression, but quick. A puppy created with that choice also seems to run much faster also.

... just finished uploading, the direct link to the file is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing

sheldonisaac

s533t_with_integral_remaster

#115 Post by sheldonisaac »

rufwoof wrote:86.9MB ISO called s533t_with_integral_remaster

Personally I just download the ISO, extract vmlinuz and initrd and drop them into a folder on my HDD, and then update menu.lst (grub4dos) to point to those files.
I did that, rebooted, and am in your new THINSlacko now.
This version has frisbee and firewall already activated so I guess for many it will auto-connect on bootup.
Yes, it found the Ethernet OK.
But I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work - is that because of iwlagn rather than iwlwifi ?
What should I do about that?

Thanks a lot for this.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

unicorn316386

Re: s533t_with_integral_remaster

#116 Post by unicorn316386 »

sheldonisaac wrote:But I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work - is that because of iwlagn rather than iwlwifi ?
For me I ran Internet Connection Wizard (it was in the menu section with all the Magic Wands), then clicked the "Wired or Wireless LAN" icon, then the third (bottom) option Dougal's "Network Wizard", then picked the Eth# that said Wireless, then hit Auto DHCP, then Scan and picked my Wireless name, then picked WPA2 and replaced the "Provide key" line at the bottom with my password. I eventually got it to connect that way, as the buttons in the Connect icon (Frisbee) didn't seem to do anything.

rufwoof

#117 Post by rufwoof »

sheldonisaac wrote:
rufwoof wrote:This version has frisbee and firewall already activated so I guess for many it will auto-connect on bootup.
But I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work - is that because of iwlagn rather than iwlwifi ?
Hi sheldonisaac, as Unicorn suggested. Click the SETUP desktop icon, Connect To Internet option ... and try the various options.

My main reason for opting for Thin Slacko around 18 months ago was because it loaded my display and connected using my wireless adapter - whilst I had difficulty with display or network connections with all of the other versions of puppy I tried. Some pup's might not work with your hardware and its just a matter of trial-and-error IME.

From a foundation of Thin Slacko I tend to just tweak things as I like, screen and menu font sizes, drag my portable firefox (on HDD) onto the desktop so its easily accessed etc. Set up time synchronisation. Load up AdBlock (Menu/Internet/Pup Ad Block) and then sfs load the sfs's I commonly use, Skype, Libre Office, Master PDF editor, and Nvidia for my graphics card. I then configure each of those to how I like, usually loading qt_all sfs to set font size (i.e. for skype and master pdf editor) and then sfs unloading qt_all once font sizes have been configured .... and then remaster so that those core sfs's are then part of the core puppy. Thereafter I don't use a savefile.

For online banking I just reboot and use get_latest_firefox to grab a clean version of firefox (rather than using portable firefox which has a cache of everywhere its been in the past and could have a virus) and use that to do online banking, rebooting afterwards (to ensure everythings cleared from memory).

For everything else I tend to just load sfs's as and when required and don't bother saving when I shutdown (so those sfs's are not loaded at the next boot). I don't save any docs...etc in puppy, only on HDD and use a online email account that's accessed via firefox.

With nvidia, libre, skype, master pdf editor sfs's loaded and those programs configured, and /usr/sbin/REMASTER/remasterpup3 changed to use

COPTIONS="-comp gzip -Xcompression-level 1

as the compression option, remastering produces a initrd that is 434MB in size, boots and remasters reasonable quickly and is pretty quick in general use. Something to be wary of is that once initrd gets to above around 465MB is may not boot due to initrd and BIOS limits (that I don't fully understand), so if you're initrd is up anwhere near/above that then you have to use a higher compression method in remasterpup3 to (ideally) reduce the initrd filesize down to below 465MB levels.

A trick I use for more infrequently loaded sfs's is to boot freshly, load that sfs, tweak the configuration of the associated program to how I like, unload the sfs and remaster (using /usr/sbin/REMASTER/remaster), as that will keep the configuration for that program in the newly remastered version, such that when you next reload that sfs its already configured to how you like. i.e. most program configuration files tend to be small and are stored somewhere under /root.

rufwoof

#118 Post by rufwoof »

For libre I like to add a script into /root/Startup that loads the libre launcher to the puppy tray
Attachments
ql.jpg
(30.35 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
librequickstart.jpg
(79.44 KiB) Downloaded 553 times

sheldonisaac

#119 Post by sheldonisaac »

rufwoof wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:
rufwoof wrote:This version has frisbee and firewall already activated so I guess for many it will auto-connect on bootup.
Hi sheldonisaac, as Unicorn suggested. Click the SETUP desktop icon, Connect To Internet option ... and try the various options.
rufwoof, thanks a lot for such a fast response.

I followed that suggestion, but it still couldn't connect to the wireless.

I had changed the original Broadcom card for an Intel, hoping it would work with LibrePuppy; it doesn't.

I'm back in SuperLuPu now.

lspci -nnk | grep -i net
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10ea] (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] [8086:0085] (rev 34)

lsmod | grep -i iwl
iwlwifi               139181  0 
mac80211              138394  1 iwlwifi
cfg80211              116254  2 iwlwifi,mac80211
If I can get a module (from where) for the Intel card which works in THINslacko, need I blacklist the iwlagn ?
How do I do that?
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rufwoof

#120 Post by rufwoof »

Master PDF is a relatively new addition to the sfs's I keep loaded at all times. You have to change the default text font to one that puppy has otherwise it will complain, but thereafter its great as both a reader and composer. The only shortfall IME is that there's no spell checking option, so a case of creating documents in Libre, saving as PDF and then loading the PDF into Master PDF so that you can add attachments etc.

For instance I do a lot of spreadsheets and rather than having the associated text documents separate but linked, saving the text documents as a PDF and including the spreadsheet(s) as attachment(s) in that PDF keeps everything together in a single file.

Like skype however the default menu font sizes were too small for my liking/eyes, so qt_all has to be loaded and the font size increased for greater visual comfort IME. Once tweaked using qt_all, you can unload the qt_all sfs file as those changes will still be preserved.
Attachments
mpdf.jpg
(49.29 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
a.jpg
(39.39 KiB) Downloaded 550 times

rufwoof

#121 Post by rufwoof »

sheldonisaac wrote:I followed that suggestion, but it still couldn't connect to the wireless.

I had changed the original Broadcom card for an Intel, hoping it would work with LibrePuppy; it doesn't.

I'm back in SuperLuPu now.

lspci -nnk | grep -i net
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10ea] (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] [8086:0085] (rev 34)

lsmod | grep -i iwl
iwlwifi               139181  0 
mac80211              138394  1 iwlwifi
cfg80211              116254  2 iwlwifi,mac80211
If I can get a module (from where) for the Intel card which works in THINslacko, need I blacklist the iwlagn ?
How do I do that?
Sounds like you know more about the network side of things than me so sorry I can't help on that front. When I first started with puppy after XP dropped support 18 months ago others were very helpful and even pointed me to a 'patch' that I need to add (pet) in order to get my wireless card working back then. I didn't understand then what was being done, and even now have little better understanding of network configuration/wireless connection etc. More a case of a end user in that respect who either sees it work or not.

I have seen postings hereabouts of modules and suspect that thinslacko might be missing a module that your hardware requires. But sorry I can't help on that front.

csipesz

#122 Post by csipesz »

big, big respect for this master piece, 01micko!
I prepared it from him a variant, in a size of the same size:
slacko-5.3.3YAT(Yet Another Thin)-v1-EngHun-01micko-csipesz-2015-nov.iso 100.0 MB
https://mega.nz/#!VEUCUCqC!6sSV9Z0BFqr2 ... 5cwOG8tNyg
or
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/811308854d/
What's in
gpicview, xvkbd, openbox/lxpanel, pwidgets, modern getflash, 2 minigame
What's out
pmusic, osmo, notecase, gdmap, viewnior, rubix, xsoldier, some themes
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-11-12_10_50_02.jpg
(108.37 KiB) Downloaded 1650 times
logo.jpg
(39.94 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times

ally

#123 Post by ally »

Pelo

one Thin Slacko for Pelo, pleeease

#124 Post by Pelo »

one Thin Slacko for Pelo, pleeease. Downloading from archives.org, thanks ally.
namoroka 3.6.28 is the brower (3.6.28)
Very nice thin Slacko tuned in Hungaria, wasn'it ?

Pelo

the best Slacko we will ever had ?

#125 Post by Pelo »

"big, big respect for this master piece, 01micko! " the best Slacko we will ever had ? Store it somewhere safe :)
I'm am pleased with your derivative from Hongrie too. The Apps you deleted should'nt have been a big fat. One european country, one Puppy, as a flag :!:
I am trying to change the tuning too. Just for challenge of it. And keeping it under 130MB of course.