Bitdefender

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
stuart_c

Bitdefender

#1 Post by stuart_c »

Hello All,

I am completely new to Linux. I simply have some old x86 boxes and am assessing what I will need to install in order to carry out my online activities under Linux, (a 'Persistent Live' version for the time being).

It's only really used for surfing the web; but I don't want to delete the commercial s/w and it only has a small HDD.

A couple of people have kindly made the following suggestions, given the modest spec' of the P.C(s) I have access to, and my all round online requirements one of which is Puppy.

'Puppy' certainly appears to be the lightest. It is in fact the only one I've seen to date which runs "live" with under 512mb, therefore does not require additional HDD partitions and works on the h/w which is currently on my desk.

Do you feel that Bitdefender would offer the best security solution for a new user to carry out online banking and, if so, which version of the s/w would I need?

Many thanks if anyone has experience of BD installation in any such environment,

Stuart.

RetroTechGuy

Re: Bitdefender

#2 Post by RetroTechGuy »

stuart_c wrote:Hello All,

I am completely new to Linux. I simply have some old x86 boxes and am assessing what I will need to install in order to carry out my online activities under Linux, (a 'Persistent Live' version for the time being).

It's only really used for surfing the web; but I don't want to delete the commercial s/w and it only has a small HDD.

A couple of people have kindly made the following suggestions, given the modest spec' of the P.C(s) I have access to, and my all round online requirements one of which is Puppy.

'Puppy' certainly appears to be the lightest. It is in fact the only one I've seen to date which runs "live" with under 512mb, therefore does not require additional HDD partitions and works on the h/w which is currently on my desk.

Do you feel that Bitdefender would offer the best security solution for a new user to carry out online banking and, if so, which version of the s/w would I need?

Many thanks if anyone has experience of BD installation in any such environment,

Stuart.
I run multiple save files. I have a main file, a "secure" file, a file I use when I'm doing "dangerous things" (e.g. testing...). And I keep a few backup lupusaves as well. When you have more than 1 save file, Puppy will ask you which one to load.

After creating your first one, you can create a second by booting the CD, and when offered a prompt, enter

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
This will start a new install, and offer to create a new save file on shutdown.

With multiple save files, I reboot and bring up my "secure" save file only for banking -- never anywhere else. When done, I reboot and bring up my main save file again...

BTW, do you have a USB slot? Buy a modest flash drive, and after you live boot, plug it in. It will show up in the lower left, so you know it's name.

Then reboot, and when asked to save, save your files on the USB drive (if it's a truly old machine, it's probably USB1.1, so it will be pretty slow, but it will use no HDD space).

When you boot with the CD, it will (or should) find the files on the USB drive, and come up. I ran like this (2GB USB and boot CD) for at least 6 months before migrating any files to the HDD...

Re: Bitdefender. They make a live boot scanner disc, but I don't think that is necessary for good security.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

All you need to do is find a Puppy version you like
for banking.....supports your hardware etc.

Bookmark all the sites that you need for Internet Banking.

If you download it in Windows

Burn it with imgburn.... 32 speed tops.

My upload >> no install.. >> don't update.
ImgBurn.exe .... Size: 1.53 MB

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-fe571dfa.html

This will keep it multisession.

Boot into Puppyand copy your bookmarks into the browser

Stop browser updates..delete cookies automatically on exit etc

make the homepage...>>>ixquick>>> I use to use Scroogle

https://www.ixquick.com/

Add the Puppy firewall

Connect to the net.....just for a minute to see
that Puppy is all set to go and then reboot
and save your settings back to the cd.

The only way to fly for banking.

Always take the cd out after booting, as you don't want
to get pristine settings corrupted.

Make sure your bank sites work with Puppy.

I always use a version with Seamonkey because
one of my banks uses java....
and I can just tick it under

>> Edit >> Preferences >> Advanced....where I tick java.

I always do my banking first...and
close the browser and start it again for the next bank I log onto.

Chris.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I agree with cthisbear, running Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD is the way to go for maximum security. In any machine. :)