Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 10:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Firefox Plug-in Flash Help for Winded Old Junkers [Outdated]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 19:06    Post subject:  

yes I did wonder...my tests with firefox 4+ did show a much larger profile but ok in terms of usability on a pentium 3 machine with 512mb ram

Chrome is 4 times the size I last saw.... thats getting large at 80MB compressed.

mike
disciple

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 19:12    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
Firefox's stability, extensibility and tweakability (especially via about:config) are second to none IMHO

I'm very skeptical about the stability - from what I can tell it is the least stable of the major linux browsers.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 19:14    Post subject:  

Every browser instability I have had has been traced down to a buggy gtk2 build and changing it sorts it out...bit of a puppy feature once upon a time...seems much better now..

mike
disciple

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 19:22    Post subject:  

Yes, I was ignoring the standard Puppy seamonkey crash due to a faulty GTK. I didn't realise it affected other browsers to though.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 19:24    Post subject:  

yes unfortunately ...either gtk or glib or both with flash sometimes thrown into the equation.... I don't miss those times Smile

mike
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 20:08    Post subject:  

dupe

Last edited by RetroTechGuy on Thu 26 Dec 2013, 20:09; edited 1 time in total
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 20:08    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
mcewanw wrote:

None of my computers have more than 1 GB RAM. I never create or use a swap file or partition and I generally run Firefox. I've used various version up to and including the latest and don't experience any crashes - despite FF being bloated and watching Youtube fullscreen and also having many tabs open at the same time often.

I was going to mention essentially the same thing. On both a weak single-cored Atom netbook and a circa 2005 HP lappy - both with 1Gb RAM and no swap - various Puppies (currently Precise Retro 5.7.1) and other Linux distros run newer Firefoxes without complaint. Firefox typically uses an additional 150-200 Mb RAM when open, and additional CPU use is only a few percent unless scrolling (during which it spikes 40-100%).

Firefox IS relatively bloated compared to many other browsers, but it's a matter of "you get what you pay for". Firefox's stability, extensibility and tweakability (especially via about:config) are second to none IMHO - and these mediocre machines run it without hiccup. You just have to get used to waiting a few more seconds for it to load on opening, compared to other lighter alternatives.

Not sure why you're having such problems, RetroTechGuy. Question

I guess I should do a hardware scan. Though it doesn't seem like anything run into problem any other time (although, no other package exhibits a RAM load of a 8-900 MB -- I watch the RAM as I'm running it, and it bloats up until all RAM is loaded, and then sometimes rolls on into swap.)

Here's what my newer laptop shows (I have only FF and ROXterm running, beyond base system)

Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:      3014600      1113960      1900640            0        31932
 Swap:            0            0            0
Total:      3014600      1113960      1900640

Thus far, "top" reports that FF is "only" eating 721 MB RAM... It hasn't been running long enough to really bloat up (I've seen it hang at 1.5 GB RAM on this machine -- fortunately I have enough space that it doesn't hammer it)

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 20:19    Post subject:  

Edit: let me really "light up" Firefox. I opened about a dozen FB pages... I have 2 pieces of FF in "top". My total load is now about 1.7 GB, most of that in FF...

Of course, on my machine with 1GB RAM, this would completely flatten it...
Firefox.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   75.8 KB
 Viewed   252 Time(s)

Firefox.jpg

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 20:37    Post subject:  

Hmm expected usage for me below...add say 150MB for heavy use and newer version.

Sounds more like a memory leak since usage is normally proportional to space available and should not hit max ...what addons do you have and does it happen with other firefox versions...? Any other pattern..particular sites?

mike
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 21:16    Post subject:  

From my aforementioned netbook, since upgraded to 2Gb RAM - FF v25.0.1, 9 tabs open, large file downloading in background -

(never uploaded a pic, so I'll see if this works...)
image-2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   94.85 KB
 Viewed   296 Time(s)

image-2.jpg

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 21:29    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Hmm expected usage for me below...add say 150MB for heavy use and newer version.

Sounds more like a memory leak since usage is normally proportional to space available and should not hit max ...what addons do you have and does it happen with other firefox versions...? Any other pattern..particular sites?

mike

This is FF 26.0. It looks like a memory leak of some sort... I think that this behavior started in the last few versions...

(years ago, Netscape used to sometimes exhibit memory leaks, and crash the browser -- maybe the FF guys figured out how to incorporate that "feature")

I typically run AdBlockPlus, NoScript, DownLoadThemAll, DownloadHelper.

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 02:14    Post subject:  

I'm apparently not alone. A number of people have reported 1.7GB RAM usage...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967643?page=2

This article is interesting... A couple options that let you explore the usage:

http://lifehacker.com/find-out-which-extension-is-eating-up-your-memory-in-fi-1339291204

mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 08:03    Post subject:  

yeah was going to suggest trying 'safemode'...ie all addons disabled...

Yes I remember netscape crashing on 98.... some said it was a MS trick but who knows... but someone on a forum suggested firefox which was at 0.6 then and it worked like a charm... so a long association has ensued..

mike
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 10:44    Post subject:  

Maybe the answer is to use the Firefox ESR series instead of the latest mainstream ones? I'm posting this from Firefox 17.0.11 (in Racy ER) and even with 3 tabs open including a youtube video playing, no flash blocking or other memory saving aids, and the ESR update downloading, Gkrellm shows just 200 MB of RAM in use. I think that's pretty impressive for a browser (and distro) in 2013.
Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Slackel 7.0 Openbox, Slackware 14.2 (32-bit), VLocity 7.2 Final, FerenOS (32-bit), Devuan 1.0.0, Stella 6.8 and AntiX 17 beta 3.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 14:35    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
yeah was going to suggest trying 'safemode'...ie all addons disabled...

Yes I remember netscape crashing on 98.... some said it was a MS trick but who knows... but someone on a forum suggested firefox which was at 0.6 then and it worked like a charm... so a long association has ensued..

mike

I was running NyetScrape on Debian 1.3 at that time. That was the only program that I ever ran, which crashed the machine (it caused a reset/reboot). (I had a whopping 64MB RAM on that beast...)

I used the "lifehacker" suggestions to examine the memory. It apparently isn't any of the extensions. The main piece of FF is eating about half, and FF is apparently initiating a pile of java crap, which is eating the other half...

The good part is that the tool reports the same memory load that "top" does... Between the 2 pieces, it shows well over 1 GB (that's a problem for this desktop machine).

An interesting note... Using the FF memory usage widget, it reports that every Facebook tab uses between 20 and 25 MB... talk about being an absolute "pig"... Murga Puppy tabs are much smaller (but I thought still larger than they should be)

Oh, and I had recently "reset firefox", then uninstalled FF, and then reinstalled FF to wipe any residual crud that might be causing problems. Didn't seem to help -- the stuff being loaded is apparently default FF operation (which I suppose brings us to a question of compatibility with various bits of hardware -- maybe it needs that to compensate).

Maybe it's time to swap in that newer machine, with 2 GB RAM -- it has "XP Media Edition" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now that I think about it, I upgraded the RAM in that machine for those folks, because their normal browser was reducing the machine to its knees (that was IE, not FF) -- they were having trouble reaching their email as a result. When I put FF on their machine, it worked "OK", whereas IE barely worked at all... Rolling Eyes

Page 4 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: