How to use ZTE 3G USB dongle modem?

Booting, installing, newbie
tallboy

#31 Post by tallboy »

Philh, that was very interesting. Those distros you mention did not find my MF628. I shall try them all again, just so I don't make more of a fool of myself, than I already am! :lol: I only have old machines with USB-1 here, I wonder if that may be the reason, I guess I'll have to do some serious specs. reading... :(

tallboy

EDIT: My modem is a ZTE MF636, not a 628, sorry, brainfart!

nilsonmorales

#32 Post by nilsonmorales »

menu--setup--internet conection wizard
by dialup
choose
probe
then ttyUSB
and fill
phone number
mine is *99# depends country
username claro
apn ba.amx
password internet
check in stupid mode
and conect

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68086

davelectronic

#33 Post by davelectronic »

Hi again guys.
Just a quick update, Ive still not managed a 3G connection with Puppy Linux, i still have it on two machines be it old ones ( see start of thread ) so i will keep searching for an answer / solution.

But in the mean time Ive been trying Zorin lite, no problem with 3G there and its requirements are fairly modest, also at the moment Ive totally took the plunge and dumped my Vista business OS for Linux mint 12 Lisa using the LXDE desktop 32 bit edition, again lite on system resources, and again no problems with huawei or ZTE dongles.

So i will continue to look for solutions to 3G connectivity problems, i just don't get why such a nice distro as Puppy cant make life easier for wireless users, oh well i hope for a simple solution soon.

In the mean time Linux mint Maya looks very good and LTS for it as well.

BYE BYE to Windows, on the Linux road now, great stuff. :D

http://linuxmint.com/

davelectronic

#34 Post by davelectronic »

Oh Tallboy, i don't feel stupid at the usb 1.0 comment, or silly, just a speed observation might have been an issue, i don't know what program software Puppy uses to see 3G hardware, also nothing wrong with old machines, P 3 USB 1.0 etc, there meant for the kids to use, Compaq Ipaq light legacy machines 500 MHZ CPU 512 Ram in each one, rather than kill my duel core system.

If you cant find any distro that can see your dongle your doing something wrong, or your dongles nakered. :lol:

jontyuk

this works for mf112

#35 Post by jontyuk »

Fossil wrote:Hi Dave,
Welcome. I see you are using Lucid: more info on your computer system does help - laptop, desktop, etc. Your locality in the world might give a slightly different result depending upon local providers, but I've had success using a ZTE MF112 3G modem using this method. I'm in the UK.
Click on 'Connect'.
Internet Connection Wizard. Choose 'Internet dialup, analog or wireless modem'.
Pupdial test. The modem should be detected.

Account 1.
Phone Access number. *99# (that's, star 99 hash, no spaces )
Username. 3g
Wireless APN. 3internet
Password. 3g

Tick box Auto Reconnect.

A short USB extension lead with the modem clear of the computer and of any obstructions, preferably close to a window or higher in the house/loft, gives a stronger signal.
This is my first post on the forum. Basically I want to thank fossil for this information, as it has just worked to get my mf112 dongle working, using samba mobile (on the 3 network) in the UK.
tested so far and works with
slacko-5.5-4G.iso
Puppy_Crypt_528.iso
Dongle pluged in before boot, don't know if that makes a difference yet on a dell latitude C600, usb 1.1 (I think) 256mb ram 800mhz PIII no HD just booting from cd.
I'm also curious if I can use this dongles micro sd card as a bootable usb stick with either iso mentioned above, and still use the dongle as a modem (I don't have a micro sd to test yet) but if possible I would have a very usefull little doofer to plug in and get online on just about any system with usb boot capabilitys.
Thank you to all involved with this project, I discovered puppy a couple of months ago and I love it, once I get used to navigating the file system I will probably ditch windoze for good!
Cheers!
Jonty