Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
kommisar

Not letting me make the choice to save

#91 Post by kommisar »

I'm booting a vanilla slacko 5.33 frugal install off a usb stick. When I shut down, I'm not given the choice to save back to usb stick. Apparently it just saves without any input from me because changes do persist across a reboot. When I reboot I get an window that says x was not shut down properly and choices to ignore or go to the command line. Any ideas?

bigpup

#92 Post by bigpup »

How did you do the install to USB stick?
When I shut down, I'm not given the choice to save back to usb stick. Apparently it just saves without any input from me because changes do persist across a reboot.
That is normal operation after making the save file and rebooting.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#93 Post by bigpup »

mikkelart wrote:When shutting down or rebooting slacko 5.3.3 after first boot it hangs at "Putty linux is shutting down..." and i have to use the powerbutton to power off.

This happens both when saving and not saving to usb, or even using a liveCD. When saving to usb the saved filesystem i ruined when trying to boot again.

I've tried both the 4g and highmem iso, but no difference.

Computer specs:
Processor: IntelCore i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 8GB
Graphic: Gforce GTX 560M
Wifi: Atheros Ar9300 Driver: ath9k
USB: 2GB
Try this just to see if it has an affect.
Boot with the Slacko live CD.
Use boot option puppy acpi=off
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

Mesa driver won't install on Slacko PAE

#94 Post by kevin bowers »

Just did a full install of Slacko 533 on a brand-new i3 system with 8GB RAM, so I used the PAE kernel. Slickpet recommended the mesa driver and downloaded it but it simply won't install. Just a guess, the driver needs to be compiled in this kernel? I'm not sure my abilities are up to it. Volunteers?

01micko

Re: Mesa driver won't install on Slacko PAE

#95 Post by 01micko »

kevin bowers wrote:Just did a full install of Slacko 533 on a brand-new i3 system with 8GB RAM, so I used the PAE kernel. Slickpet recommended the mesa driver and downloaded it but it simply won't install. Just a guess, the driver needs to be compiled in this kernel? I'm not sure my abilities are up to it. Volunteers?
Mesa is not kernel dependent.

I first learned of mesa not installing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload to ibiblio for a couple of weeks, ok now though so I am re-uploading mesa. It's the same package but there must have been some corruption in the original upload. I just tested the package on a new install and it works.

Please try again soon, (wait a bit for the mirrors).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ryanvade

#96 Post by ryanvade »

just installed. rebooted and puppy manager won't start.

kevin bowers

Re: Mesa driver won't install on Slacko PAE

#97 Post by kevin bowers »

01micko wrote:
kevin bowers wrote:Just did a full install of Slacko 533 on a brand-new i3 system with 8GB RAM, so I used the PAE kernel. Slickpet recommended the mesa driver and downloaded it but it simply won't install. Just a guess, the driver needs to be compiled in this kernel? I'm not sure my abilities are up to it. Volunteers?
Mesa is not kernel dependent.

I first learned of mesa not installing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload to ibiblio for a couple of weeks, ok now though so I am re-uploading mesa. It's the same package but there must have been some corruption in the original upload. I just tested the package on a new install and it works.

Please try again soon, (wait a bit for the mirrors).
Downloaded & installed without problems. Thanks!

don570

puppy clock

#98 Post by don570 »

Puppy clock in slacko
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73168

I tested new version of puppy clock in slacko and
it works well

kevin bowers

WinTV card working in Slacko

#99 Post by kevin bowers »

With a lot of help I've gotten GMPlayer to play live TV under Slacko. You need:
--supported TV tuner card (mine is Hauppauge WinTV1850)
--dotpet from http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/Mp ... -1.1.1.pet
--Wouldn't hurt to read Paulski's post where I got most of this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36672
Install the .pet, then go to /root/my-applications and read the readmes. Open a terminal there, and depending on where you are and what hardware you have, scan your channels. In the US:

Code: Select all

scan us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB | tee channels.conf
. This will create channels.conf in the same directory; copy that to /root/.mplayer (note: this does not exist until GMPlayer has been run and shut down once). At this point (and after installing the .pet) I rebooted; don't know if it was necessary, but it didn't hurt anything. Open GMPlayer (desktop "play" icon), click file>TV>open digital TV. The >| and |< buttons change channels, or view>playlist and double-click the channel you want. Happy couch-potato-ing!
Edit: After hooking up to a good antenna and re-scanning, GMPlayer started crashing. I had too many channels! Opened channels.conf as text and pruned several lines (channels I didn't want), that fixed it. Does GMPlayer have a limit on size of playlist, around 35 or 40 items?

bigpup

Re: Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback

#100 Post by bigpup »

ryanvade wrote:just installed. rebooted and puppy manager won't start.
I assume you are talking about Puppy Package Manager?
Install this bug fix.
Slacko 5.3.3 PPM bug fix
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#626479
YaPI(any iso installer)

ryanvade

#101 Post by ryanvade »

Yeah... it's fixed sorry all.

Eldon

#102 Post by Eldon »

I like this new 5.3.3 but...

I had a hard time in 5.3.1 getting my bluetooth keyboard to work but I managed it.

Trying the same thing in 5.3.3, I can't do it- because when I type modprobe rfcomm it says:

"fatal: module rfcomm not found"

Same with l2cap.

I tried copying them from 5.3.1 to the appropriate folder, but then it tells me it's an invalid module format.

Do you have to recompile the kernel with those modules, or can you perhaps make a pet so we can install them?

Did you mean to leave them out, or was that by mistake?

Blueman tells me that bluez daemon isn't running, and while I have it installed, I don't know how to get it going. Typing hcidump gives me an "address family not supported by protocol" message.

I love slacko, but I'd really like to see better bt support.
I REALLY want to use my mini bt keyboard with this!

r_j_h

USB Storage read-only

#103 Post by r_j_h »

Having used puppy as my live-cd/rescue-cd of choice for several years, I have just done my first frugal install of slacko on an old netbook.

Mostly things work fine - but I have just noticed that I am unable to mount any usb storage as read-write; whether through the desktop icons or through command-line all usb drives mount as read-only.

I have searched as far as time and bandwidth will allow, but I cannot find this mentioned anywhere else in the forums. Is this a common problem - have I made a stupid mistake somewhere?

Thanks, Richard.

kevin bowers

Re: USB Storage read-only

#104 Post by kevin bowers »

r_j_h wrote:Having used puppy as my live-cd/rescue-cd of choice for several years, I have just done my first frugal install of slacko on an old netbook.

Mostly things work fine - but I have just noticed that I am unable to mount any usb storage as read-write; whether through the desktop icons or through command-line all usb drives mount as read-only.

I have searched as far as time and bandwidth will allow, but I cannot find this mentioned anywhere else in the forums. Is this a common problem - have I made a stupid mistake somewhere?

Thanks, Richard.
More details, please? Just how old a netbook and what kind? I recall something in Barry's blog about kernel support for USB1.0 going away, is it that old? What filesystem(s) are on the drives? And is this peculiar to Slacko or will LuPu or some other Puppy do the same thing? Anytime Puppy thinks there might be something wacky with a drive (or interface to it ) it will only mount it read-only. If it is a FAT filesystem you can try:

mount /dev/xxx -t vfat -rw /mnt/xxx
Or ntfs if that's what it is. Good luck!

Eldon

#105 Post by Eldon »

r_j_h wrote: I have searched as far as time and bandwidth will allow, but I cannot find this mentioned anywhere else in the forums.
Thanks, Richard.
As far as searching goes, this helps:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Sylvander

#106 Post by Sylvander »

1. Problem with WINE-1.5.2 explained in this post.

2. Problem with WINE-1.1.39 explained in this post further down the same thread.

r_j_h

#107 Post by r_j_h »

kevin bowers wrote: More details, please? Just how old a netbook and what kind? ...
A Compaq 110-1010 vintage 2009-ish, I'll be amazed if it's only USB 1, but thanks for the tip.
kevin bowers wrote: What filesystem(s) are on the drives? And is this peculiar to Slacko or will LuPu or some other Puppy do the same thing?...
I have no facility to download lupu at the moment - but I'll try that over the weekend.
kevin bowers wrote: If it is a FAT filesystem you can try:

mount /dev/xxx -t vfat -rw /mnt/xxx
They are all NTFS and I have already tried that, but thanks again.

Are there any log files other than dmesg which would provide some useful information? dmesg is not telling me much...

Thanks again, R.

Baldronicus

#108 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi.

First off, thanks to all in involved in Puppy, in all it's flavours.
Although I am reporting what appears to be a very minor bug in the
Slacko 5.3.3 series, the efforts related to Slacko are very much
appreciated. It is, indeed, very good.
Hopefully I am not wasting your time by reporting something that is already known. I have tried to check, but may not have been very horough.

The problem:
A right-click on a clear area of the desktop (under the default configuration) brings up the menu, as expected. After this is cleared (by a left-click), subsequent right-clicks on the desktop icons (including the drive icons) result in the desktop menu appearing, as if they were right-clicks on a clear area of the desktop (or as if the icons were not there, or simply not identified).
A subsequent left-click (or in some/many cases two spaced left-clicks) on one of the icons results in it working as expected. Following this, right-clicking on the icons also works as expected (as if the "problem trigger" had been reset).
Another right-click on a clear area of the desktop recreates the problem, and subsequent left-clicking on an icon clears it again.

Wary 5.3 and Racy 5.3 do not seem to display the same behaviour on the same hardware (Intel 845 and 945 graphics - although I would suspect it might be to do with ROX in some way).

As noted above, it is very minor. I only noticed it when trying to nut out an
intermittent loss of a drive icon when right-clicking it. I think that might
have been user error- trying to be too quick, and accidently double-clicking
(perhaps catching the "remove item" menu option).
I think it's only a minor usage issue, and I am only reporting it because it
was found (and on the unlikely off chance it might be a pointer to something that might be troubling others).

Thanks again.

ETP

Minor right-click (default config) bug

#109 Post by ETP »

Baldronicus:
Bug confirmed. (Also exists in 5.3.3.2.) It would seem that we have all been living with it!
Minor as you say, but very confusing for anyone new to Slacko.
Thanks for your report.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Jasper

#110 Post by Jasper »

It is the same with Slacko 5.3.1 which is lightning fast, totally stable and ideally fits my needs.