Can Puppy Linux work on that old machine ?

Booting, installing, newbie
sfhk K

Can Puppy Linux work on that old machine ?

#1 Post by sfhk K »

I have a very old notebook with specifications as follows:

128 M RAM
20 G Hard Disk
P3 CPU

Newly addition: an usb wifi (EDUP EP-N8508)

I am looking for any lightweight linux to revive that old machine. My main use of the revived machine is for wifi web browsing and checking emails with security. Can you guys suggest which version of puppy linux or any other lightweight linux for that use ?

Thanks a lot.

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

The most likely candidates would be either Wary or Lucid Puppy.

You might also want to try Classic Pup 2.14x.
It has lower RAM requirements.

Either way, with 128MB RAM, you will need to make a 384MB swap partition.

sfhk K

#3 Post by sfhk K »

Is the RacyPuppy 5.3 a version of Wary Puppy and can work on that old machine with 384 SWAP partition ?

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Racy is Wary with a newer kernel and Xorg (video wizard).
From what I understand, everything else is the same.
Racy is built for newer machines; Wary is for older ones.

sfeeley

#5 Post by sfeeley »

If I remember, Racy is a "relative" of Wary, but might not have all the old drivers etc that Wary has.

I'd second the suggestions for Classic 2.14x (which I run on an old lappy), and perhaps suggest Akita (which I've not used, but is aimed to be low on resources)

The trick with any but especially older machines is to find a version that works on your hardware. This will probably take some experimentation. to start off, I'd suggest frugal installs, since you can stick several on at once with little hassle.

Later, if you pick one, you may want to try a full install, since thats a bit better for low ram machines, but whatever improvement you see may not be enough to outweigh the advantages of a frugal install (mutiple versions, easy backups, transfer between machines, etc)

sfhk K

#6 Post by sfhk K »

Where can I download the Classic Pup 2.14x as I cannot find it in the Puppy Official website ?
For wifi web surfing, is Classic Pup 2.14x is safe ? Does it have firewall and anti-virus ?

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

sfeeley wrote:
If I remember, Racy is a "relative" of Wary, but might not have all the old drivers etc that Wary has.
I would assume that BarryK couldn't include some of the dial-up modem drivers in Racy, since they can't be compiled with newer kernels.

Classic Pup 2.14x thread is here.
Download info. is always at top of page 1.

It has a firewall; most Puppies do.
Viruses are generally not an issue with Linux.
(I don't know the answer to the wi-fi questions.)
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 05 May 2012, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

sfhk K

#8 Post by sfhk K »

But Classic Pup 2.14x seems is an quite old operating system since the link you posted dated in that site is May 2009.

Do you know whether Akita supports wifi or not ? Do you know the downloaded link ?

Dewbie

#9 Post by Dewbie »

But Classic Pup 2.14x seems is an quite old operating system since the link you posted dated in that site is May 2009.
Scroll to the end of the first post:
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 09:22; edited 93 times in total
Every time he updates the 2.14x version link, ttuuxxx edits the first post.
Otherwise we would have to comb through a 300-plus-page thread to find it.
Do you know whether Akita supports wifi or not?
Do you know the downloaded link?
http://scottjarvis.com/page112.htm
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 05 May 2012, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

jobo

#10 Post by jobo »

ive just installed on exaxtly the same spec machine

for me wery was really slow, but very nice to look at

classic was lovely, packed with features but wouldnt locate my router so ive no idea how fast it might be
and now ive goy luppy retro which is quite good and getting faster the longer i use it

but give all a try till you find one you like, its only a hassle to do a frugal install, the first time, after that you can have them on and running in no time

sfhk K

#11 Post by sfhk K »

Have you guys tried BrowerLinux ?
It is said that it is a lightweight version of Puppy Linux.

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

Ahhh...here's some info. on Classic Pup 2.14x and wi-fi.

jobo

#13 Post by jobo »

no,

as a general rule, the nicer it is to look at and the easier it is to set up, add features, the more of you precious ram it uses and the slower you internet is

if you just ant a very fast internet browser, then a v2 will do you fine, if you want add toys then you need to go late and sacrifice a lillte speed

nb, when trying them, you have to start them, then reboot before you get a proper idea of the speed

of coiurse if you can add more ram, you have more options

sfhk K

#14 Post by sfhk K »

v2 means Classic Pup 2.14x ?

jobo

#15 Post by jobo »

i couldnt get that to connect, so cant say, but just an old version two, that doesnt have all the features of that one was lightning fast on my machine

the the retro pup i have now isnt far behind, unless its a heavily coulored web page or worse photographs

give classic i try and see

sfeeley

#16 Post by sfeeley »

I think jobo was talking about version 2.16. This is actually an old version unlike the others mentioned which have old guts but are updated frequently. The problem with 2.16 or other real old versions is that they are harder to update software. In a few cases when other options fail it might be worth trying. But try our other suggestions first.
Wary
2.14x classic
Akita
Lucid retro.
All of these are aimed to run well on old machines but offer modern software

Puppyt

#17 Post by Puppyt »

Without recent software updates, puppyluvr's "Buddapup-Dingo" might be an option too for that sort of hardware - provided you don't use animated backgrounds in E-17...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 507#221507
+1 for Akita though :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

sfhk K

#18 Post by sfhk K »

sfeeley,

Is the preferred trial order is from Top-down ? That is from Wary to Lucid retro.
Also, can you post the download link for the most updated version of Lucid retro ?

Thanks

sfhk K

#19 Post by sfhk K »

Hi all,

Could you guys post the download link for the most updated version of "Buddapup-Dingo" ?

Thanks

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

Sfhk K- this is what I feel most Puppians would suggest, myself included.
Here's 5.3 hosted in the Netherlands, one of the alternate dwnld sites..
Is the preferred trial order is from Top-down ? That is from Wary to Lucid retro?