ABIWORD cannot open XP files; transfer problem(solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Sit Heel Speak

#46 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

OK see you tomorrow night. The above instructions should get you up and running with either Open Office or KDE. I'm sending this from the Konqueror browser in KDE. 8) Meanwhile I'll try to get KRecipes going.

MU

#47 Post by MU »

Sit Heel Speak

#48 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

MU: bitte sehen Sie meine Antwort-Post unter Additional Software. Ich eine kleine probleme haben mit dem Bildschirm. (Please see my reply-post under Additional Software. I have a small problem with the display.)

pelokwin: hold off on installing everything; I'm having a problem with the display on KRecipes. Maybe it's my fault for trying to run KRecipes not over KDE but rather over the Enlightenment window manager. Or maybe we need a different video library than OpenGL.

Sit Heel Speak

#49 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Mark has discovered that, if you run the Enlightenment window manager in MegaPuppy, then you must first run KDEpanel from the MegaPup002-launcher in order to run KRecipes. You must also in Settings / Configure KRecipes tell it to re-run the wizard every bootup, which is a pain. Also, it makes the database file /root/.kde/share/apps/krecipes/krecipes.krecdb grow and grow and grow.

However, if you start KDE from the MegaPup002-launcher, and then start KRecipes from within KDE, KRecipes works OK. I recommend you run KRecipes this way.

To start KRecipes from KDE, click Start - dotpups - megapup002-launcher, click the KDE button. Puppy will restart the window manager and it will be KDE. After KDE comes up, click the tiny Puppy icon at the top of the screen, then Dotpups--run-KRecipes.

You can also create a desktop shortcut by right-clicking on the KDE desktop. The executable file is

/usr/bin/krecipes

KRecipes looks like a useful program...

p.s. Not only KRecipes but also Open Office 2 Writer and Calc look better when they are started from KDE. In jwm and Enlightenment I had a problem with the default label font size. This was "semi-fixable" by going into Control Panel - Set default font size, and raising the size to 90 or 108, but this was an imperfect fix. When KDE is the window manager, Writer and Calc look OK without any special tweaking.

pelokwin

#50 Post by pelokwin »

hey,
I have downloaded (but not burnt) libsqlite3.so.0.8.6.pup...kreceipes-0.9.1.1.pup....megapup002.pup...xorg_opengl-6.8.1.tar...KDE-3.4.1a....and OpenGL.pup and as of 9:06 nj time I am still :? waiting for usr_more.sfs to finish. So I will come back with a "I'm back" when it is done then we can go from thier
I'm just a passing thought in this world

MU

#51 Post by MU »

pelokwin, please do not install the KDE 341 when you use megapup!
KDE 341 is an older version, that would break the KDE 351 in megapup.

Mark

Sit Heel Speak

#52 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

OK, I'll be looking in. How fast is your connection?

Sit Heel Speak

#53 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

MU wrote:pelokwin, please do not install the KDE 341 when you use megapup! KDE 341 is an older version, that would break the KDE 351 in megapup.
Mark is right, you don't need KDE 3.4.1. I asked you to start downloading that when I was having trouble installing MegaPuppy 2/KDE 3.5.1. It turned out that Puppy needed OpenGL.pup in order for the newer KDE 3.5.1 in MegaPuppy 2 to start.

So, you needn't bother to burn KDE 3.4.1 to the CD.

I did install 3.4.1, before getting MegaPuppy/KDE 3.5.1 to run. I wonder if that is why I was having trouble running KRecipes over Enlightenment using just the KDEpanel...

Anyway, don't burn KDE 3.4.1 to CD. Sorry for making you waste your time downloading it :oops: :wink: :?

pelokwin

#54 Post by pelokwin »

well I am really not sure but I am on dial up and the download is about 5kb per second. It would not be so bad if I could leave my computer on over night but Net zero disconects after a while so while I am downloading I have to refresh (MY KINGDOM FOR DSL) for the most part I dont mind dial up unless I am downloading I think this has opened my eyes. Mabey I should spend the extra $5.00 bucks

pelokwin

#55 Post by pelokwin »

hey don't worry about it That file was zipped and took about 5 min. I'm at about 83% on the usr_more file looking at the download counter put the Jepordy theme song in my head

Sit Heel Speak

#56 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

O thou patient saint.

pelokwin

#57 Post by pelokwin »

so I am at 90% ............91%
anyway I went back into windows and got rid of a few more things and my new free space is 751 MB I have a question I have a "D" drive with 885MB free is there anything I can use it for?

Sit Heel Speak

#58 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

pelokwin wrote:I have a "D" drive with 885MB free is there anything I can use it for?
Two hard disks in that ThinkPad 385? Or, it is one single disk, partitioned in two? Or, is it an external drive?

Certainly you could use it. You could format all or part of it as a Linux swap partition or as storage space.

What does Start - Utilities - PMount show after you tell it to mount any unmounted drives?--in other words, what is the 2nd drive mounted as -- /mnt/hda2, or /mnt/hdb1, or something else?

pelokwin

#59 Post by pelokwin »

well the window reads like this
Disk/dev/hda: 3080 mb, IBM-DLGA-23080
/dev/hda5
885M msdos

mounted on /dev/hda1
/mnt/home 2047M msdos

pelokwin

#60 Post by pelokwin »

I went into "drives" and I would say it is unmounted(there is a button that reads "mount" were as the hd1 reads "rox" /mt/home

Sit Heel Speak

#61 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

On the computer I'm sending this from, which is not my ThinkPad, I have 2 hard disks. The first is a 20GB partitioned into two equal 10GB partitions. The second is an old 1.28GB Western Digital Caviar.

My PMount shows:

Disk /dev/hda: 20.5GB, (model number)
Mounted on /dev/hda5
/mnt/hda5 9805M vfat

Mounted on /dev/hda1
/mnt/home 9813M vfat

Disk /dev/hdc: 1281 MB, (model number)
Mounted on /dev/hdc1
/mnt/hdc1 1222M vfat

So it appears that you have a single 3GB disk, partitioned into one 2GB and one 1GB partition, with roughly 78MB of wasted space as unallocated cylinders or FAT tables.

You can tell Puppy to mount that second partition at bootup.

1. Start - Utilities - RoxFiler

2. Navigate to /root/.etc/rc.d/

3. Right-click on rc.local and Edit As Text

4. Add the lines at the bottom (but just before the swapon line you added before):

mkdir /mnt/hda5
mount -t msdos /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5

Now every time you start Puppy, that 2nd partition is available.

If you start - run - rxvt and issue the above two lines, it'll be available now.

Or, of course, you can click on its icon in PMount and PMount will mount it.

You can use RoxFiler or uXplor to browse it. After you get MegaPuppy 2 installed, try the XFE file manager to browse directories, it's great. Almost as great as 2xExplorer.exe in Win 98.

Sit Heel Speak

#62 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

...er...that line "mount" should read msdos, not vfat. The drive is formatted FAT16, not FAT32 (a.k.a. vfat). (Corrected in the above message)

pelokwin

#63 Post by pelokwin »

OK it is done (after 3 long days) I am about to burn the files which ones to I need?
wait I need all but the kde right?

Sit Heel Speak

#64 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Yes, correct. All except KDE 3.4.1 which you don't need.

Copy them all into C:\ in Windows

Boot Puppy and use two instances of RoxFiler, with Ctrl-drag'n'drop, to move them all from /mnt/home to /root except keep usr_more.sfs in /mnt/home

In RoxFiler, extract xorg_opengl.tar first, as directions above.

Then reboot. Puppy will auto-load usr_more.sfs.

Click megapup002.

Click libsqlite3.so.0.8.6.pup, then krecipes-0.9.1.1.pup

...and you should be good to go. Reboot for good luck, then

Start - dotpups - megapup002-launcher

Click KDE

This should restart the window manager as KDE

And I'll have to restart KDE myself to tell you how to launch KRecipes from inside KDE! :oops: :lol:

When next you message me, I'll be online via my ThinkPad and be looking at the KDE screen.

Sit Heel Speak

#65 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Keep me posted of progress, or if you want to call it a night I can come back tomorrow night.