miwm

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
`f00

miwm

#1 Post by `f00 »

"Microscopic Window Manager"

Here's a binary made on p431 - some errors (xprop, xkill) but it's mostly functional. Use wbar or something in ~/Startup since ~/.miwmrc may not give a l-click shell command menu for the basics :| (ctrl+alt+backspace to Prompt if there's nada - a rox pinboard seems ok if you like that sort of thing, but it pulls six times the mem that miwm does ;) )

webpage and basic instruction, highly recommended

bigger screenie @155k + a small embed Image

___addenda 120708___
A bit more functionality (at least for me) was when I finally quit fooling with trying to get ~/.miwmrc to give a "shell command menu" (like it details on the documentation page). Nope, the deal that works is to make your own ~/.miwm/miwm.usermenu (okay, I cheated by looking at the sample). No bigtime skills required, the syntax is blessedly simple and it's a fun experience in "do I need an & or not?" for n00Bs like me :) , here's my fancy usermenu

Code: Select all

aemenu = aemenu
fbrun = fbrun
htop = urxvt +sb -tr -sh 70 -fg tan -e htop &
rox = rox /
xfe = xfe
xterm = xterm -sbt 5
urxvt = urxvt -sbt 5 -tr -sh 80 -tint wheat &
zedit-usermenu = zedit /root/.miwm/miwm.usermenu
plogout = plogout

, it helps to put whatever you use most at the top since if it's selected when you release from the l-click whatever's at the top loads (or starts to if it's a big fat slow dog like some browsers ;) ). Now if I could just get it to ignore transients (or add a delay for autoraise) - if I'm not real quick, dialogues get lost under the parent window :roll:

Either I'm getting better at typing in the dark or the wheel of fate rolls on teflon buckyballs - did a reboot from miwm and it zipped past with a stab at the enter/return key ( :lol: multisession without visual aids like a dialog!), wary 514 gets lively now. Had to slow down with mcwm to get the visual and not save after that gust. Like screenies? Here's a Paris alternative @258k, you might need to rename with CAPS a la changingWSMIWM.gif for it to work in the add-on…
Attachments
miwm-binless.tar.gz
add-on? a few extras here for your dancing after dining (small local help page included)
(20.74 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

harii4

#2 Post by harii4 »

Here's a binary made on p431 - some errors (xprop, xkill) but it's mostly functional. Use wbar or something in ~/Startup since ~/.miwmrc may not give a l-click shell command menu for the basics (ctrl+alt+backspace to Prompt if there's nada - a rox pinboard seems ok if you like that sort of thing, but it pulls six times the mem that miwm does )
Many of the minimalist window managers use xprop and xkill.

xkill:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... c97#398686

xprop:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8d6#291461

Keep them Window Managers coming - Great Stuff 8)
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

for the links :), little things like that help. I should learn more about compiling (like how to strip and so on) but then again someone might find the original to be preferable if they dig into what the author intended

My :oops: was in being lax - the downloaded doc package that I took the 'short' page from was not as up-to-date as the website info .. maybe it was the bugman nightly ;)

______addenda 120930______
Been trying out xcompmgr for a delay via fadein/out with mixed results in precise 5395 (specifically in regard to transients going 'under' the parent window with autoraise enabled) - almost all windows affected but some transients may 'double', response to input can be a bit odd and so on. Easy enough to simply hide the parent with a r-click but still a bit annoying if you're not fast enough to catch the transient. C'est la vie ;)

sample "xcompmgr -I 0.02 -O 0.01 -D 1.5 -f" seems do-able atm for me..

`f00

lwm

#4 Post by `f00 »

Here's lwm, a similar wm to miwm. It lacks much of the sophistication of miwm but is a decent light window manager by itself.

webpage with source if you want to compile your own. This was compiled in racy 5.3 but should be suitable for other pups.

As usual with some light wms, you may want to have some add-ons (yeahlaunch/aemenu combo is a good choice to keep it fairly lean). In my experience it has some issues with launching aemenu directly from a mouseclick on the rootwindow :|, but a terminal does well for that bind.

Like the description says on the manpage, "It provides enough features to allow the user to manage their windows, and no more." In other words, it's pretty darn simple (for example, no multiple virtual desktops) but still useful :)

not intended as a 'bump' - simply to separate the country cousin a bit without starting a new topic (hope that's okay, Flash?)
Attachments
lwm.png
lolz, the cap is bigger than the pkg..
(24.7 KiB) Downloaded 992 times
lwm-1.2.2.tar.gz
Lightweight Window Manager (aka lwm)
(23.82 KiB) Downloaded 472 times