Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lassie

Re: Broadcom driver management code updated to experiment 6

#361 Post by lassie »

lassie wrote:
rerwin wrote:I have added minor mods to the set of packages to automate the selection of the appropriate Broadcom wifi driver, "experiment-5-6delta" above:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 889#630889
I will try this with my BCM4311, great that you try to automate the setup :-)

Now I will try your package!
I tried with the pet but no success...

Then I restarted from RAM (no save file) and suddenly the BCM4311 card was visible with lspci... Now I do a backup of the whole file system, maybe helpful next time when troubleshooting this hell of a chip... After next reboot I swear it won't be visible again!

What's the easiest way to take a snapshot of the computer as is now? (I mean when the wireless is up and the other functions also seems to work.)

rerwin

Re: Broadcom driver management code updated to experiment 6

#362 Post by rerwin »

lassie wrote: I tried with the pet but no success...

Then I restarted from RAM (no save file) and suddenly the BCM4311 card was visible with lspci... Now I do a backup of the whole file system, maybe helpful next time when troubleshooting this hell of a chip... After next reboot I swear it won't be visible again!

What's the easiest way to take a snapshot of the computer as is now? (I mean when the wireless is up and the other functions also seems to work.)
The way to obtain the info needed to troubleshoot your wifi device and my experiments is by running the pmodemdiag script. It was originally for working with analog and wireless modems, but has been expanded to get some networking info in a addition.

If your wifi device is still not working, please boot with pfix=ram, install the experiment package, reboot and make a pupsave file, then (if wifi not detected or not working) run pmodemdiag and send me the tar.gz file it produces.

BTW, be sure to install experiment-4, then 5delta, then 5-6delta, to get the full experiment 6 configuration.

I am working on a simplified version of the experiment. So, any info you provide could be useful to me. Or might justify moving on to the new version.
Richard

rerwin

Broadcom 43xx candidate for woof - please test

#363 Post by rerwin »

Attached is what I hope to be my final implementation for the various Broadcom 43xx wifi cards. It is much simpler than the previous experiments and replaces all of the experiment packages on the previous page (24). The main difference is that, instead of having all open-source drivers wait for the proprietary driver to run, now the proprietary driver waits for the open-source drivers to do whatever they do and then reloads them as necessary.

This "experiment-7" omits the logic to switch between versions of the proprietary wl driver (5.100 vs. 5.60), because peebee's multi-kernel driver packages support only one of them (whichever the user chooses to install). It simplifies the selection between proprietary and open-source drivers for the case where wl produces an error message, by utilizing an earlier message that identifies the problematic devices, thus avoiding the need to wait for wl to run to see the error message.

I have separated the two parts of the previous experiments to create a "universal" part intended for all puppies (including lucid pup) and a package containing the brcm drivers for precise puppy 5.3.3.3. The "universal" package can be installed after installing peebee's broadcom_sta_v5.100.82.112_patched_x86_32-multi.pet package (or the 5.60 equivalent) for testing. Once "experiment-7" is verified by those of you with the Broadcom wifi devices, I hope that peebee will adopt this version for his packages. My goal is to repackage this experiment as a submission for incorporation into woof, for all new puppies (unless it makes more sense to keep it with the proprietary-driver packages).

To have this package install correctly, be sure to add it to an existing pupsave environment. This is because it includes file removals, which are not preserved in the initial creation of a pupsave file. (Lupuplus ISOs contain a fix for this, but it has not yet been accepted for newer woof-based puppies.) For precise pup 5.2.60, a "small fixes" package containing the fix is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#633525
Richard
Attachments
precise_broadcom_experiment-7.pet
Intended for any puppy.
Contains only new modprobe config files.
Ensures that residue from previous experiments is removed.
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

rerwin

#364 Post by rerwin »

I have now corrected the bug I found and have re-uploaded the experiment package. Testing with the previous upload should still be valid except that b43 would be loaded along with wl. Peebee told me some time ago that the presence of b43 does not impact his test results. But the advice is to avoid having them both run, to avoid possible interference, so that's my design. Likewise for wl and brcmsmac.

Sorry for inconveniencing the 3 of you who downloaded the original.
Richard

peebee

Re: Broadcom 43xx candidate for woof - please test

#365 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Attached is what I hope to be my final implementation for the various Broadcom 43xx wifi cards.
Hi Richard

Testing reports on my HP550 laptop....

Booted a pristine version of precise 5.3.3.3 - rebooted with savefile creation - loaded Experiment 7 V2 pet - rebooted - used Frisbee to connect WPA wifi - checked wl was in use - blacklisted wl - rebooted - wifi reconnected automatically - checked b43 was in use.

All as expected with my b43 version.

Then booted a pristine version of slacko 5.3.3 - installed my wl driver pet - rebooted with savefile creation - loaded Experiment 7 V2 pet - rebooted - used Frisbee to connect WPA wifi - checked wl was in use - blacklisted wl - rebooted - wifi reconnected automatically - checked b43 was in use.

Again - all as expected.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

wsamh

#366 Post by wsamh »

I have two problems when I install vlc and playonlinux. When I run vlc on the terminal, It says that I cannot run vlc as root. Also when I run playonlinux, It says that I need to install python. I already did and It still says that. I install python version 2.7.2. Does anyone know how I can fix these two?

oldyeller

#367 Post by oldyeller »

Hello everyone,

I have done woof2 build of Precise 5.2.60 here.

I don't think it is close to what pemasu has done, but I took on the challenge to continue this Puppy

Cheers

gcmartin

Precisely, which Precise

#368 Post by gcmartin »

Precise History - Puppy version
There was Barry's 1st version, then this, then Barry's 2nd version, then other(s).

Quesitons
  • Is this PUP still in active development?
  • Will this Precise distro, and kernel upgrades continue?
Thanks in advance

oldyeller

Re: Precisely, which Precise

#369 Post by oldyeller »

gcmartin wrote:Precise History - Puppy version
There was Barry's 1st version, then this, then Barry's 2nd version, then other(s).

Quesitons
  • Is this PUP still in active development?
  • Will this Precise distro, and kernel upgrades continue?
Thanks in advance
Hi gcmartin

that is my plan to continue this puppy as far as the kernel I would need help to compile when the need arises for one.

Pelo

precise 5.2.60

#370 Post by Pelo »

save only to USB : strange ! whatever i write at shutdown for first save , I only can save to my usb, not else where.
Your distro works fine on other hand. Merci pour votre travail. Pelo
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

bruno

network connection always failing at startup

#371 Post by bruno »

When i startup Upup 5333, then it makes connection by DHCP immediately, showing an IP, and then resets it immediately, and then gives message "internet connection failed".
All I have to do then is reset it manually with frisbee, but why it always disconnects?
Maybe i have to change something with the settings?
The other puppy's that I run on this machine don't have that problem.

Pelo

Abiword 2.9.2 no color

#372 Post by Pelo »

font color : broken ?
No colors at all, apparently. Big bug !
Attachments
font.jpg
Black, black and white. It's just to advise you. But it seems to be a lot of bugs..
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

Pelo

planner

#373 Post by Pelo »

How can we change a task to make it a sub-task of another one ?
I want to put task 3 as a sub-task of task one.

Planner will be very useful when controled. Nice idea to include a planner in a distro.
Attachments
planner.png
This version has been tested ? Works well, i hope.
(82.08 KiB) Downloaded 469 times