Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 16:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 15 of 25 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
jim3630

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:40    Post_subject:  

pemasu

just read your post after posting mine. sorry to hear about your bosses, work, injury, family, that gets in the way of puppy. that was a joke. Smile

family and health are priorities just not so sure about work...probable work as well is needed to provide for family and health. i spent my career as a private contractor so it was easy to walk away from one particular job.

take care take your rest and take care of business.
jim3630

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:44    Post_subject:  

peebee wrote:
jim3630 wrote:

pemasu in those previous kernels my wifi would show on wlan0. in precise it comes up on eth1. my system has not changed so think it is something on your end.

Hi jim3630

This is probably an indication that you are using the proprietary Broadcom wl driver which pemasu built-in to precise 5.3.3.2

You can confirm this by running lsmod in a terminal - if wl is there but not b43 then you are using the wl driver which creates eth1.

I've just posted a modified pet that changes the eth% device to wlan% to be consistent (we don't know why Broadcom chose to be different but it is quite an easy patch to change).

Cheers
peebee

hey peebee,

yes to both wl but not b43. pemasu used to in clude those new bcm.... drivers and i had wlan0.

if your interested i could apply your mod pet?
jim
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:51    Post_subject:  

Thanks Peebee. I will update the broadcom wl module to the woof and I will upload it to the pet_packages-upup repo also.

I have started to create pet_packages-upup database file....
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 14:00    Post_subject:  

About compiling latest evince...sure it is possible...I did test it and it compiled fine...but it needed a lot stuff...gtk-3 and framework for it and a lot other stuff. And the lookout of evince is ugly no working gtk outlook.

And when I installed all the needed stuff....I broke working puppy. The desktop drive icons dont work anymore...and what else is broken.

Mean while...I noticed that python2.6 is not in database anymore...there is python2.7 only now. So...I updated the distro pkgs specs accordingly.

Heh...not sure should I create new build with this wrecked Upup anymore...
I have updated the Precise Pangolin database files now....I suppose they should be updated again...because the packages seems to change still.....
mrokosz

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 14:35    Post_subject:  

Hi Pemasu,
Thanks,
for all Your work, you created very good distro, everything I need works. I hope You get well and after recovery will get back with distro You created, but same was with Barry Kauler, he created very popular Lucid puppy and somebody else took over and he starts to do some other interesting distros puppy derivatives. So don't worry, I am sure somebody will take over Your job and continue, all distros have theirs funs. You did a great job, I hope somebody will follow ubuntu and update Upup Precise. By the way I like Ubuntu 12.04 very much and on capable computer I will be using it. But Ubuntu has lots of developers and distro like Yours relay only on one person.
Thanks again for the job You done.

mrokosz

PS. This is my entry for the Grub 2 file, unfortunately with frugal instalation I have to add it every time Grub 2 gets updated

menuentry 'Upup Precise 5.3.3.2 frugal with Linux 3.3.2' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 354d91a3-139a-47b6-943f-80f9c8c3807d
linux /precise5.3.3.2frugal/vmlinuz root=UUID=354d91a3-139a-47b6-943f-80f9c8c3807d pmedia=atahd
initrd /precise5.3.3.2frugal/initrd.gz
}
Minnesota

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 14:35    Post_subject: Sounds like a very busy summer  

Pemasu

Sounds like a very busy summer!

For what it is worth. You might give a shot at dictation software to help with your writing and reports.

I am impressed with the commercial package. Here in the states you can pick up the small package for around $39.00. Not convinced you need the expensive fancy packages.

Or... I now have a smartphone, and it has quite accurate dictation as well.

Thanks for all your hard work. I know it will be hard to completely stay away from Puppy... addictive.

Smile.

Have great summer, enjoy the graduation and do not work so hard it hurts! Get some vacation along the way. Life is to short. One or two or three bosses... well.... Still smell the roses. Been there, done that.... Family worth more!
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 15:33    Post_subject:  

Thanks for heads up !

About dictation software and digital dictation machine. I have used dictation machines about 20 years. About first thing which I had to learn when I started clinic work. Lol. I use dictation machine all the time. But mostly I write my texts my self. I write every day tens of pages text. But when I do inspections to the companies...I have dictation machine with me...which I do listen and write to report.

I could also dictate at work...we have server which stores the dictatations and there are dedicated people in company....secretaries which type them...but....I am fast writer...havent used that service ever.

What I would like to have is...speech recognition and automatic typing software...but finnish language has proven to be hard for them and our specialized language with greek and latin words included makes it difficult for speech recognition software and hardware. I have followed the progress of them also...

About gsettings schemas problem....
When you install app from the precise repo, the launching might fail with error message:
Code:
(evince:28405): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.Evince.Default' is not installed

With debian and ubuntu there is somekind postinstallation recognition mechanism which launches script to enable the installed schemas. I found one working example:
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
set -e

if [ "$1" = triggered ]; then
for trigger in $2; do
if ! [ -d $trigger ]; then
continue
fi
case $trigger in
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas)
# This is triggered everytime an application installs a
# GSettings schema
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas || true
;;

/usr/lib/gio/modules)
# This is triggered everytime an application installs a GIO
# module into /usr/lib/gio/modules
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
;;
esac
done
exit 0
fi

#DEBHELPER#

# Also handle the initial installation
if [ -d /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas ]; then
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas || true
fi
if [ -d /usr/lib/gio/modules ]; then
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
fi

Basically what you need is to run this command:
Code:
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

And the pet or deb included and installed schema...which usually is installed to the /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas....will be enabled and the app launches.

So...if the /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh would include the command to launch the external script with another or better schemas enabling command or script content....then the schemas problem would be resolved.

I tested it. I added the schemas-installer row to the end of installpkg.sh script and placed the above code to the /usr/bin as script and voila....evince launched.

Here is the pet which has that modified installpkg.sh and schemas-installer included. You can test it.
Of course Barry Kauler or other qualified coder should make this better. But you get the idea.
schemas-installer-fix-0.0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  schemas-installer-fix-0.0.1.pet 
Filesize  7.61 KB 
Downloaded  127 Time(s) 
vtpup

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 16:20    Post_subject:  

Good luck, Pemasu!

Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 16:23    Post_subject:  

Hi pemasu,

Sorry to hear about your work and health problems. Great news about your daughter’s graduation. We will greatly miss you and your super contributions for the next few months.

Get your rest and tend to your priorities. Hopefully, we will see you back well and rested this fall.

Thanks again for sharing the results of your hard work with us.

Cheers,
Jim
vtpup

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 17:49    Post_subject:  

As I recall, there wasn't any solution to the GLX problem, so Upup Precise isn't going to be usable for me. Hate to say it because it had potential, but guess i'll delete it off the hard drive and focus on Racy. Unless Lupu in some form can run on this machine and access the sound chips. 528 v5 can't so far.

Of all Puppies in the last 6 years, only Racy now works with functioning sound, wireless and graphics on this new, inexpensive, relatively unremarkable (and fairly typical) low cost Acer/Intel laptop. Seems unfortunate for Puppy.

pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 17:54    Post_subject:  

I do have acer/intel laptop also and intel driver works for me...gxlgears rolls..

You could check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log if there is anything spesific of your glx loading.

One possible solution might come from recognition or failure of it and automatically created xorg.conf could be crippled. But you got some response. So probably glx is enabled in your xorg.conf.
vtpup

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2012, 18:04    Post_subject:  

Hey, you're not supposed to be doing this!

(yes it is enabled in xorg.conf, and no obvious errors in the var log. But it's okay, Time to take it easy.)

cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 05:12    Post_subject:  

" My boss wasnt pleased of my operation and he told me I should be back to work after 6 weeks period.

The operator told me I will need vacation 10 weeks...so lets see.... "

""""""""""

Don't stuff it up old friend.

All depends on the individual.
I use to love Orthopaedics.

Also some people use a hyperbaric chamber to speed up the healing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCrnNQVCUik

http://www.eclicktick.com/healwounds.info/

:::::::::

Also Chia seed is beneficial for repairing bone.

http://thealkalinediet.org/blog/chia-seeds

http://energy.big-health.com/HFS_Raw_Chia_Seed-Calcium.html

""""

Look after yourself Mr P.
You have excelled...................Chris.
jakfish

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 08:23    Post_subject:  

Hi, pemasu,

I'm sorry to hear of this sudden, and mostly bad, news.

Your need for a puppy break makes perfect sense. I hope the surgery goes well, that your various bosses become more understanding, and that the community sees you back here when the smoke clears and life simplifies.

All best,
Jake
pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:05    Post_subject:  

jakfish. About what build runs coolest. I really dont know. I havent measured it...or compared...and I havent got much feedback also.
I think that only testing will reveal. Sorry.

I suppose that lack of feedback is good sign. When Snow Puppy or Ice Puppy with some kernel seemed to rise too much cpu temp...I got a lot feedback. I think it was partly the kernel version number spesific and only slightly how I had configured the kernel.

I also think that those bugs have been fixed in all 3.X kernels.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 15 of 25 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum