Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oui

#106 Post by oui »

resquashing is no problem

but I don t find the traditional directory Desktop of the old Puppy s

Jim1911

#107 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. I checked the firmware.dep file and it seems I have missed the dependency for iwlwifi.ko module.

Here is the updated firmware.dep file. Just install the pet. And maybe reboot....or just try once again with rmmod iwlwifi and modprobe iwlwifi.

Also...brcmsmac.ko support has been nowadays linked to broadcom spesific amba. If I would enable it...the broadcom ssb dependent modules will be dropped out. Oh well....there isnt justice in this world. I am thinking to revert back to 3.2.14 kernel. Mavrothal would be happy with this decision....lol..
New firmware worked. Now online using it. Upup Precise is already looking good. I hope that you will stick with the newer kernel.

However, I am not able to connect to my wifi network printer.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
dmesg_report.gz
dmesg ran after failure to connect to network printer
(14.46 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

You need to copy for example from slacko snmp file to cups backend folder:
/usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp

I am not sure if that is enough to get network printing working.

Great to hear that the firmware worked. I suppose you mean firmware file...not the firmware.dep file with iwlwifi.ko definition. Or when I read above again you meant the updated firmware.dep....time to get sleep...lol.

I will include that firmware.dep and also the updated iwlwifi firmwares to the build.

Older Transmission works fine with libssl-0.9.8.

I will include it still with older libssl + newer libssl to the next version until I learn to compile transmission in upup precise.

I suppose I will upload the next version tomorrow. It does not contain yet anything dramatic. I have fixed the devx sfs stuff by test compiling some apps.

oui

#109 Post by oui »

sorry

no way to print actually!

sszindian

Video & Precise

#110 Post by sszindian »

In a previous test I posted in this thread, I was commenting about how good that videos played with Precise... let me clarify that a little...

'IF' you use one of the chrome-type browsers that will be TRUE! (I happen to be using 'Iron-18-Lucid.pet' that can be obtained from the lucid ibiblio repository.) It works very nice and no dependencies are required for install.

'IF' you use Seamonky (the default browser that currently comes with Precise)some of the places you visit for videos will really give you a very un-happy experience and you'll probable blame Precise!

So... before jumping to conclusions about a particular distro... Remember...Browsers make a world of difference!!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

nz_john

#111 Post by nz_john »

Works well. Eth0 connected instantly.
What really suprised me was that my wireless card (Tenda w322) Rt2860 was detected correctly by Frisbee. I just had to enter the password and it connected.
This is the first puppy i found to work with this card without using ndiswrapper.
Cups also worked with my printer Hp F4400 after downloading hplip from the forum.
Still exploring but looks great.

Regards

musher0

#112 Post by musher0 »

Hm... An observation, that has nothing to do with quality of Upup-Precise.

Exit options in jwm menu do nothing on Intel 1.8Mhz machine but work fine on AMD Sempron 3.1 machine. (Running entirely from DVD).

Someone has a logical explanation? Would this have to do with deep-down calls to innerds of machine, which are different on each mother-chip? (Just thinking out loud, here.)

Thanks in advance for any light on the subject.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#113 Post by musher0 »

In the same line of thought, would a complete "kill" utility (not the busybox one), solve this type of problem? If so, where to find one? I roamed the Internet in vain in search of one that is independent of any package...

Thanks in advance.

PS. Maybe this message would be better classified in a general thread about shutdown problems. Let me know. Thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

vtpup

#114 Post by vtpup »

Tonight:

Wireless:

5.3.3.1 loaded -- could not connect to home wireless network via simple network wizard --- finally had to drop back to the older one, which does work.

Not sure why the difference, but maybe it is that the simple version assumes WPA2, and this network is WPA. There is only one checkbox for WPA, and I think any auto feature is not working correctly.

Keybindings:

Thank you @Musher0 for that very good explanation of the layering of key bindings.

And thank you pemasu for your work so far.

Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out why key bindings don't work.The keys I have been concentrating on are the Fn + arrow keys, and the "Windows" key. The fn + arrows keys are supposed to control speaker volume (Up Dn) and screen brightneess (Rt Lft) when used with Fn.

I do not see that any of these keys are used in the JWM configuration. I don't know if they are used by Rox Filer, but I suspect not. So I'm not sure how these higher level key bindings would affect these specific keys.

As a test, I will now give the Windows key as an example to provide steps to reproduce:

Opening xbindkeys-config I select the Windows key and decide to change it.

On my computer doing the key test yields:

Mod4 + Super_L | m:0x40 + c:115

I change the action from the default of aterm to urxvt.

I push the action button and verify that it does indeed create an instance of URXVT.

I Apply.

I Save Apply and Exit.

I test the Windows key. No response.

I stop and re-start the X server.

Still no change.

I open xbindkeys-config, and verify that the new settings are present, and they are.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

pemasu

#115 Post by pemasu »

musher0. If you type in console: wmexit
how does that behave in that non exiting comp

I have had sometimes succes with using strace command. It tracks the system calls. Of course you get 99 % of problem unrelevant messages to console...but I once fixed really obscure slow gtk app lauching problem with strace finding.
Download strace with PPM and launch: strace wmexit
in that problematic app. Sometimes you get not found message with it.
Okay....mostly I dont get any useful information with strace.

mrokosz

Upup Precise 5.3.3.1

#116 Post by mrokosz »

Dear Pemasu,
I just installed Upup Precise (frugal installation) it works, but yesterday I tried full installation several times with no success. The problem is fail to setup layered file system, then the installation proceed correctly, but when it's finish system freeze. Another thing, most people use now GRUB2 and GRUB entry in text file after frugal installation is probably adequate to GRUB but not to GRUB2, I have change that to proper entry for GRUB2. I just did frugal installation and I like very much what I see. I will test it and write my impressions. I will try to install some puppy software and I hope most it done for puppy 525 will work, but I hope to see packages made for Your puppy version. Tanks for the great software, I hope to use it.
Michael Rokosz

pemasu

#117 Post by pemasu »

Could you post your menu.lst or equivalent menu entry. The thing is...there shouldnt be that layering file system error, it comes from init script....from inside initrd.gz...In full install there shouldnt be initrd.gz in use. I wonder why you get it. It has been problem with Dpup also. There got to be problem somewhere.
How did you create full install. Using Puppy Universal Installer.

That problem needs profound inspection.

The exact prochedure would be helpful.

About grub2. I know nothing about it...and I wont easily start to use it. But knowledgeable people can surely post tips of using it. There is already threads in murga-forum.

James C

#118 Post by James C »

Grub 2 is total garbage...... the first thing I do with any new install that uses Grub 2 is revert back to good old reliable Legacy Grub. That said http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 004#589004 is a pretty informative thread about booting Puppy with Grub 2.
HTH.

James C

#119 Post by James C »

Let me burn a cd and I'll try a test full install of Precise 5.3.3.1 on the old P3 test box....just happen to have an empty partition. :)

James C

#120 Post by James C »

Just finished a full install on my old P3 test box...... did get the "failed" on initial boot into the full install but everything appears to be working normally.Just downloaded Flash so nothing is frozen up.

Actually seems pretty quick on this old 733 Mhz/256Mb ram box.

Anyway,no problems yet. :)

James C

#121 Post by James C »

Purely for testing purposes........full install of Precise Puppy 5.3.3.1.

Code: Select all

PUPMODE=2
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
ATAOPTICALDRIVES='sr0 '
PUP_HOME='/'
PDEV1='sda9'
DEV1FS='ext3'
# report-video
Upup Precise, version 5.3.3.1 on Tue 24 Apr 2012

Chip description:
1.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel810(TM) Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: # vesa

X.Org version: 1.11.4
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Actually using the Intel driver.

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 253MB (107MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 24 Apr 2012 03:05:30 AM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.3.2-upup (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Wed Apr 18 20:00:55 EEST 2012
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc25443
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime : 18 minutes
Load Average : 1.37, 0.94, 0.56

No problems yet but it's after 3 am so I need sleep. :lol:

EDIT:

Rebooted and ps/2 mouse frozen......... keyboard still functional.Changing to usb mouse results in no change.

mrokosz

Upup Precise 5.3.3.1

#122 Post by mrokosz »

Hey, James C.
Who are You to write that Grub 2 is a crap, what is Your education level, keep such opinions to Yourself. You probably don't know much what You writing.
But I have to be more precise, when I wrote os frozen, I ment USB mouse. I will also try to install to more modern comp like HP mini 210, but for now what I notice frugall installation does not save wireless setting. Every time I boot, I have to setup the wireless network again, it is restricted network using WPA encription.

If it tells me during boot up setting layered file system failed that definitely is something wrong, otherwise it will tell pass, however from the first look it seems everything is working OK.
I will be checking frugal installation cause that one works so far.
Michael Rokosz

pemasu

#123 Post by pemasu »

Frozen usb mouse in full install has been fixed in next test version. Barry Kauler posted 2 days ago the fix for it. I have downloaded the relevant code change.

symlink in /dev for mouse has been missing in full installs. Fixed now and it should work in next release.

But why it announces that layering file system setup failure. It should not happen. Oh well...I need to to do full install to some comp and check myself what creates that announcing. There shouldnt be initrd.gz to launch that message

Terryphi

Re: Upup Precise 5.3.3.1

#124 Post by Terryphi »

mrokosz wrote:Hey, James C.
Who are You to write that Grub 2 is a crap, what is Your education level, keep such opinions to Yourself. You probably don't know much what You writing.
mrokosz: I can see that it is not in your nature but please try to be polite or you will not receive any help in this forum.

On the question of Grub 2, I agree with JamesC. Grub 2 is crap.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

01micko

#125 Post by 01micko »

pemasu... thread capsize here sorry.. (sincerely.. I'll get to some serious upup feedback soon as penance :wink: )

Terry... see Billy's rant ..

[ :lol: ]
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access