Is a 2.4GHz dual-core CPU faster than a 1.3GHz single-core??

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scooby

Is a 2.4GHz dual-core CPU faster than a 1.3GHz single-core??

#1 Post by Scooby »

Would you notice a difference if upgrading laptop from single processor 1.3ghz to dual core 2,4 ghz

When running slacko from USB

Maybe its faster with Dpup Exprimo?

Any difference or should I not care to upgrade

I had a problem playing mkv file on my old laptop,
audio lagging behind video

firak

#2 Post by firak »

You can test other puppy version, befoare decide to upgrade.
Is a little triky, but i possible to install in the same pc, divverent version of puppy in diffetent fodelrs, and manually edit 2 boot files (syslinux.cnf & menu.txt).
In this way you can test different puppy versions.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76624
There is no way to upgrade form puppy different versions, but the new install does not take much time.

The Dp pup report better speed on video, I do not use HD video, so I cannot report differeces.

Yust I think , I woul prefere to use mostly a version o puppy that has mateniance.

Some version of puppy are Ufficial, and some are unufficial, the unufficial have less garanttee of meteniance, like Dp, but have some jewels, like dp.

That wy I would suggest to you to keep in your pc 1 ufficial puppy + some unufficial to test.

Are you shure that the delay of the udio is a CPU problem? Di you try to install an other video player? or codecs? ( I'm not an expert of that)

arcanis

#3 Post by arcanis »

At a difference of almost 1Ghz and another core, I would say you would notice a difference. I know I would, but I am very sensitive when it comes to responsiveness, which is why I run Puppy in the first place.

Having two cores to carry the stream should mean smoother videos, in most cases. The only other issue in playing video is the GPU, the graphics processing unit, but I believe the processor would be a worthwhile upgrade.

While Pemasu's derivatives are very good and responsive, Slacko should work faster and smoother with the new dual-core as well. I always try any derivative or project I think I can run, but I am in love with Slacko now.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

Playing video is always processor intensive, so you will see an improvement by upgrading like for like CPUs, especially with such a big upgrade.

What type of CPU are you going from and to? Some of the lower clock CPUs have an onboard GPU for decoding video, which may make the higher numbered CPU actually perform worse than the lower, if that is the case.