Lexmark 4076 Execjet IIc not working

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
a_lopriore

#1 Post by a_lopriore »

I tried to connect it either with a parallel cable o or with a parallel to USB converter n my Thinkpad T41 using the latest gutenprint version on Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.
The printer is properly recognized from CUPS wizard but when I try to print using the CUPS + Gutenprint Lexmark 4076 Driver the result is a set of strange characters and I have to turn off the printer and cancel the print to stop it.
Any Idea ?
Tried also to use the HP deskjet 500C drivers but the result is the same.
Thanks a lot in advance

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Lexmark lists two 4076 printers - II and IIc. But they don't have Linux drivers.

Openprinting.org lists a 4076 and calls it a black-and-white model. They recommend either the Gutenprint 4076 or Deskjet 500. They both appear to be for the BW model.

You said that you tried the Deskjet 500c. Was that the Gutenprint version?

My only other suggestion would be to get HPLIP and try its 500c. Read How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy (at the top of this thread) for details.

But I suspect that there is no Linux driver for the colour model.

Some Googling found me a report of the identical problem with the IIc.

a_lopriore

#3 Post by a_lopriore »

I don't care about color. I have B&W cartridge only and I'll be happy to print B&W documents only. I guess I have gutenprint 5.2.7 pet package installed.
If I connect the printer to my mac as well I have the same situation I have on my puppy thinkpad.

a_lopriore

#4 Post by a_lopriore »

I'm actually using CUPS 1.4.3 and HP Deskjet 500c hpijs, 3.10.4.16 or Lexmark 4076 CUPS+Gutenprint 5.2.5
There is no difference with the 2 drivers. All that I see printed is a set of strange characters. I used the CUPS print wizard to add and configure the printer. Is there anything I should do manually ?

Thanks a lot in advance

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is my only other suggestion.

1. Install the attached PET
2. Run CUPS and delete your current printer
3. Add it again
4. Select the manufacturer as HP
5. Select the model as Deskjet 500C Foomatic/pcl3
Attachments
HP_Deskjet_500C_pcl3_PPD-1.0.pet
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 389 times

a_lopriore

#6 Post by a_lopriore »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but
I tried to install this driver and the result is exactly the same when I try to print a test page from CUPS I have only a sequence of uncorrelated characters.
There should be something wrong don't know what else to do. On a windows XP the printer perfectly works.
Any idea is welcome