How to install my HP f4580 "All in One" printer?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mike2000

How to install my HP f4580 "All in One" printer?

#1 Post by mike2000 »

Hi everyone.

I' m new. Have recently installed Puppy on my laptop, using a flash drive. It seems to run ok. My only serious problem is I don't know how to install my HP f4580 "All in One" printer.

It came with an installation disk which worked fine with Windows XP, but there is nothing for Linux. How do I install it?
All suggestions welcome.

Mike

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go here and get the hplip_print-3.12.2.pet. It supports your HP Deskjet F4580.

What Puppy version are you using? Somewhere on its desktop, you should find a control panel that has a printer setup wizard.

Your printer should be auto-detected by the wizard.

mike2000

#3 Post by mike2000 »

Thanks for the link, found the "hplip" files and installed them. Am running
"Lucid 5.28". There is a "CUPS printer wizard" in "Setup" but it does not seem to do anything automatically. Not sure how the "hplip" files are involved.

Mike.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Administration tab > Add Printer

mike2000

#5 Post by mike2000 »

In SETUP" found a CUPS Printer Wizard. In this app was a folder full of printer drivers. In this folder was an HP F4500 series driver which I
added to the installed printers. It prints the testpage fine. Thanks.

I still have two printing problems remaining. Firstly to print the test page I
had to use a cable connection to the printer, can't make it work by wifi.
My other problem is am unable to get it to scan.

Mike.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

mike2000 wrote: can't make it work by wifi.
Connect your printer by wifi. Run the CUPS wizard and select Find New Printers. You may need to do this several times before CUPS detects your printer. Then use the same install procedure.

If CUPS can't find the printer, type this command using the printer's IP address.

Code: Select all

ping aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
Does it get a reply from the printer?
My other problem is am unable to get it to scan.
Did you install the hplip_scan-3.12.2.pet? What procedure are you using to scan? As a first step, you should connect by USB.

Are you trying to scan by pressing buttons on the scanner's control panel? That doesn't work in Linux. You need to run scanner software. Look in the Graphic menu.

mike2000

#7 Post by mike2000 »

Followed the advice. Went into CUPS wizard, clicked on "Administration" then on "Find New Printer" many times, without success. The printer was
on and set for wifi.

Then tried to Ping the IP address, but could not work out where to enter
the Ping command.

Mike.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Then tried to Ping the IP address, but could not work out where to enter the Ping command.
Your desktop should have an icon labeled "Console".

Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on? This will block access to networked printers.

mike2000

#9 Post by mike2000 »

I used Console to Ping printer. Got a reply "56 bytes".

I think the "Firewalls" are switched off but there are two apps
listed as firewalls and possibly others.

Mike.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is an icon for the Puppy Firewall in the lower right corner of the screen. If it's OFF, there should be an exclamation point on the icon.

mike2000

#11 Post by mike2000 »

Ran the app that puts the firewall icon in the tray. Set it to off.
Ran the Cups wizard "find new printers" many times again.
Eventually it found it. Am now able to print wifi. Thanks.

My only remaining problem with the printer is I am unable to
get it to scan.

Mike.

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

My only remaining problem with the printer is I am unable to get it to scan.
First, have you installed the hplip_scan PET from here?

You will also need Peasyscan from here.

As a first step, connect the unit directly by USB and get scanning working.

Then we can look at the additional instructions for using a networked HP scanner with Peasyscan.

mike2000

#13 Post by mike2000 »

Have got the scanner function working using a USB cable. It will work using both Peasyscan and Xsane, but it will not scan using a wireless connection, even with the firewall swiched off.

Mike.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you built a configuration file as described in the How-to? If so, please post it here.

mike2000

#15 Post by mike2000 »

I built a Configuration file using the "Config-sample" file in the Peasyscan folder as a model.
Peasyscan found it and puts up a menu, but when "Start" was clicked,
I got an error "invalid argument" and the program halted, but have now got the printer scanning wifi.
Did not understand the program wanted the name I myself had given the
printer/scanner, rather than its model type.

Thanks for the advice. Am certain I would not have managed it on my
own, at least not the wifi bit. This is of course the great problem with
Linux. Lack of support. When I installed it on "Windows" I just had to
run an installation disk and it was all done in 10 minutes.

Mike.
Last edited by mike2000 on Thu 17 May 2012, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

mike2000

#16 Post by mike2000 »

This post has been deleted, the message integrated it with the previous one.

newpup333

#17 Post by newpup333 »

I'm trying to install this printer, it's giving me problems. I'm a first time linux user so please go easy on me :)

I'm running slacko 5.4, downloaded the hplip_print-3.13.4.pet from the other thread, went to localhost:631 in firefox, it detected the printer as a hp F4500 (not a typo, the printer is a f4580 but the computer detects a different type :? ), I tried to install it as a local printer and browsing to the downloaded pet file, it said it's been installed but it doesn't print a test page. Tried the same thing as a network printer, my firewall is off, same message that it has been installed successfully and it also refuses to print the test page.

Not sure if it's a network printer or not; it's connected with usb to the computer running puppy where I'm trying to install it on, it's connected on wifi with some other windows laptops in the house and it works on those.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

newpup333 wrote:I'm running slacko 5.4, downloaded the hplip_print-3.13.4.pet from the other thread
Have you actually installed the PET correctly or did you just download the file? Look in Menu > Setup> Puppy Package Manager to see if it is listed.

1. Download the PET to a temporary location in your computer.
2. Click on the file to install it.
it detected the printer as a hp F4500 (not a typo, the printer is a f4580 but the computer detects a different type :? ),
This is not a problem. Your printer is a member of the F4500 family.
I tried to install it as a local printer and browsing to the downloaded pet file,
???? If you had installed the PET correctly as above, your F4580 would have appeared at the top of the list of HP printers. There would be no need to browse to find a file. And you certainly wouldn't give it the PET file.
Not sure if it's a network printer or not; it's connected with usb to the computer running puppy where I'm trying to install it on, it's connected on wifi with some other windows laptops in the house and it works on those.
If the printer is connected to your computer by USB, it's a local printer and CUPS detects it as such.

If you unplug the USB, CUPS should still detect it, but as a networked printer.

Go back into CUPS. Open the Printers tab. Delete your printer. Then let CUPS detect it again.

newpup333

#19 Post by newpup333 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
newpup333 wrote:I'm running slacko 5.4, downloaded the hplip_print-3.13.4.pet from the other thread
Have you actually installed the PET correctly or did you just download the file? Look in Menu > Setup> Puppy Package Manager to see if it is listed.

1. Download the PET to a temporary location in your computer.
2. Click on the file to install it.
it detected the printer as a hp F4500 (not a typo, the printer is a f4580 but the computer detects a different type :? ),
This is not a problem. Your printer is a member of the F4500 family.
I tried to install it as a local printer and browsing to the downloaded pet file,
???? If you had installed the PET correctly as above, your F4580 would have appeared at the top of the list of HP printers. There would be no need to browse to find a file. And you certainly wouldn't give it the PET file.
I tried, I located the file and tried to open it but it didn't give me a program to open it with but asked me to browse for the program. Having no idea what program I would need I figured the configuration would do it. After downloading again with firefox I noticed firefox gave me the option to save it or to run it. When choosing run I got a popup saying it was installed, when adding the printer it was the top one of the list :D Thx!
If the printer is connected to your computer by USB, it's a local printer and CUPS detects it as such.

If you unplug the USB, CUPS should still detect it, but as a networked printer.
I doubt that, the computer is 10 years old and doesn't have wifi :wink:

But problem solved, works great now!

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

newpup333 wrote:I doubt that, the computer is 10 years old and doesn't have wifi
Your computer doesn't need wifi to detect a wifi-enabled printer. It doesn't talk directly to the printer through the air - it finds it through your network connection.

I suspect that your original download was corrupted. Or maybe you clicked the wrong "Download" button on the datafilehost..com page.