Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 08:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
TOP 10 Packages
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012, 18:46    Post subject:  TOP 10 Packages
Subject description: TOP 10 Packages

Following are among top packages by someone at DistroWatch.com
  • LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org
  • VLC multimedia player
  • Filezilla
  • K3b
  • GIMP
  • Ubuntu Software Centre.
  • Rhythmbox
  • The KGpg front end for security keys
All in a single distro. But, they didn't mention the one (reading between the lines)

FYI

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012, 21:55    Post subject:  

Top 10 packages by what measure, number of times downloaded? Rating by users? Independent rating agency? Laughing
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2012, 00:57    Post subject:  

Might be interesting to try to encourage users to post a list of 'must have' packages that they always install on any new Puppy. Would help to give devs an idea of what to include by default.
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2012, 02:16    Post subject:  

Other than the relevant devx, you mean? Very Happy

(Seriously, though, has anyone ever created a derivative with the devx already included/integrated? Just curious.)

Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2012, 15:58    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
Other than the relevant devx, you mean? Very Happy

(Seriously, though, has anyone ever created a derivative with the devx already included/integrated? Just curious.)

I think jafadmin has generated such a beastie here - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=641800#641800 - but as it's Not For Numpties, I can't be sure Wink

Ray MK

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2012, 01:56    Post subject:  

Hi

No: 1 - must have for me is gatotray.

It provides cpu and temp info - in the tray.

Very useful.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2012, 02:32    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Might be interesting to try to encourage users to post a list of 'must have' packages that they always install on any new Puppy. Would help to give devs an idea of what to include by default.

Probably the only thing I have to install is
lastpass
https://lastpass.com/

I may soon after installing need

transmission
xaralx
devx
VLC
openshot
Libreoffice

I may need them, I may not . . .

darkcity

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2012, 06:12    Post subject:  

packages are both useful and not useful.
stu90

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:44    Post subject:  

I don't install to many .pets

Openbox - window manager
Tint2 - panel
Rox Icon - change rox-fller toolbar icons

Other than the above i just have a directory of various scripts and configs i copy from pup to pup.
L18L

Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:53    Post subject:  

No need to install the same to each puppy I am using
My top 5: (no pets Laughing )

# ls /mnt/home/opt
Adobe firefox jdk1.7.0_03 lampp libreoffice3.5
#
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2012, 16:26    Post subject: My TOPs is based upon an enriched, complete, Puppy packaging  

One member requests that we share packages that we add when we set up a Puppy.

I am a proponent of Puppy for every user I assist who is willing to step out of the Windows framework into a Linux Framework. To make their lives as easiest as possible, I stay with the out-of-the-box (OOTB) distros which matches Microsoft and has most/all of their needs for use.

For a personal preference, I install LightHouse64 Mariner OOTB, FATSlacko OOTB, and PUPPY Libre-Full distro where I add SAMBA.

I alway add DPUP5520's AngryIP, and Flash tools for LAN searches, management, and understanding, as well as internet multimedia needs.

I don't do this because I have any fondness for the distros, as I am addressing a Windows replacement OOTB experience where the people who use the distro, can use the Puppy forum thread as a place for support and assistance should they need.

Here to help

Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:04; edited 1 time in total
Monsie

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul 2012, 06:33    Post subject: Top 10 Packages  

Some so called "must have" packages are important not because of their popularity, but because they are needed dependencies. My experience at times is that some of these are hard to find... for example: when I had to find all of the packages for putting together Namebench. While I do appreciate that some members kindly host sites for additional software, there have been times when I've had to spend considerable time searching the Forum to find exactly what I needed.

This begs the question (for me) about the need to update the existing repos and/or the need to create a community repository.... a kind of centralized "one-stop shopping experience" that will ease the burden of searching, searching, searching...

Monsie

Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2012, 11:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
This begs the question (for me) about the need to update the existing repos and/or the need to create a community repository.... a kind of centralized "one-stop shopping experience" that will ease the burden of searching, searching, searching...

+1, +1, +1

like it!

Aitch Smile
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 22:12    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
Quote:

+1, +1, +1

like it!

Aitch Smile

Wishful thinking. Casting +1000 votes won't make it happen. We can't even resolve this: Server Space for BarryK.

I'll say something that everyone knows but unwilling to admit: It takes $$$ to make this happen. While I'm grateful for all personal contributions so far (John Murga especially), we have to realise that unless one is extremely rich and philanthropist enough to contribute to the cause, this won't ever happen. We have to pool our resources, but apparently the Do-ocracy doesn't work when (spending) money is involved. Twisted Evil Question: Who is willing to cast the first coin?

It takes $$$ to run an App Store (or a proper package repository), even if all the apps are free.

Monsie

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2012, 16:01    Post subject: TOP 10 Packages  

jamesbond wrote:
Wishful thinking. Casting +1000 votes won't make it happen. We can't even resolve this: Server Space for BarryK.

I'll say something that everyone knows but unwilling to admit: It takes $$$ to make this happen. While I'm grateful for all personal contributions so far (John Murga especially), we have to realise that unless one is extremely rich and philanthropist enough to contribute to the cause, this won't ever happen. We have to pool our resources, but apparently the Do-ocracy doesn't work when (spending) money is involved. Twisted Evil Question: Who is willing to cast the first coin?

It takes $$$ to run an App Store (or a proper package repository), even if all the apps are free.

So, about how much money would it take to make this happen? I have no clue, really, as I'm sure that the costs would vary greatly depending on the level of service provided.

I made a quick search for software repositories, and this site came up first on the list. There is a cost involved, but I couldn't find specific information on this, and I suspect one would have to make further inquiries. Not only that, but I'm not sure if we would qualify... Is Puppy Linux an institution Question We do have Puppy School thanks to Lobster. Cool

Seriously, if we could determine some basic costs, then we might be able to work out some kind of funding formula. Off the top of my head, for example, one could charge each user a basic subscription fee to use such Community Repository, or, provide this service through the sales of a custom made CD/DVD. Each custom disk could include a selection of "must have" software to compliment the installation files for the particular breed of Puppy. These "must have" packages would be those developed by the Community, and therefore would be extra or in addition to what is available through Puppy Package Manager.

Down the road... the volume of brisk sales re: custom Puppy Linux media generates enough revenue to provide members free access to the Community Repository... Very Happy

Just some food for thought,
Monsie

Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: