Wary and Racy 5.3 final

Please post any bugs you have found
kommisar

unrar?

#61 Post by kommisar »

I can't seem to unrar some archive using the "zip" icon on the desktop. The application apparently doesn't work with rar files. Is there any easy way to add this functionality to Racy 5.3?

puppy_apprentice

#62 Post by puppy_apprentice »

u can try to find a tool called unrar or try to convert your rar file to eg. zip or tar and later use tools installed in Puppy:

http://www.online-convert.com/

Billtoo

Wary and Racy 5.3 final

#63 Post by Billtoo »

Edit: removed

Pence

#64 Post by Pence »

Racy 5.3 seems to work fine with Intel core i3-2120 and Asus P8 H67-M PRO with 4gb ram. Only video setting is 1024x768 60.0* but that is the one I would have selected. Edit: Now I have that problem of no shutdown or reboot and then xorg problem after manual shutdown.
Last edited by Pence on Tue 01 May 2012, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

momanager

#65 Post by L18L »

Edited my solution for translating menu items, see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=57

vtpup

#66 Post by vtpup »

Racy 5.3 ...ditto on gmplayer not working in any resolution but original file resolution -- ie "half size, double size, full screen, etc all simply show the video in original resolution with a big yellow frame around it to match the request.

Also ditto on real dislike of the Racy 53 electric blue wallpaper theme and icons -- I'm not a bling fanatic, I usually just use the stock Puppy theme, but this time I had to change everything, the desktop was so jarring and uncomfortable to look at. If I was a new user, I'd wonder whether I'd want to use Racy.

I realize that's personal, but unusual for me to have such a strong reaction. I imported icons from earlier puppies, since didn't particularly like what was available (Puppy 431 was blue, too, but very easy to work with and accept. Seemed friendlier.)

Sorry, no desire to offend anyone, just a personal reaction in case user reactions are useful.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

666philb

#67 Post by 666philb »

gnome-mplayer may need you graphic drivers installed to change the screen size
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

vtpup

#68 Post by vtpup »

666philb wrote:gnome-mplayer may need you graphic drivers installed to change the screen size
Thanks 666philb, but which drivers do you mean? (my graphics hardware is reported as: Intel 2nd generation core processor family integrated graphics controller )

btw VLC has no problem with graphics screen sizing on this same computer. Why would Mplayer require specialized video drivers?

B.K. Johnson

Revol incomplete

#69 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Retrovol in wary-5.3 seems to provide for output only. I cannot record from line input. See attachment.
Attachments
retrovol.png
(8.84 KiB) Downloaded 1533 times

OscarTalks

#70 Post by OscarTalks »

Is there nothing more further down in that Retrovol window? It seems cut off in the screenshot.

These things depend on your hardware. The input / record / capture controls may show up as a different device.

You could try alsamixer (type it in to the terminal). It shows all the soundcards using the F6 key and switches between them. The F4 key will isolate and show all the capture controls.
Oscar in England

voronv

Wireless setup is not getting saved to save file in Racy

#71 Post by voronv »

Is this a bug or my illiteracy?
I boot my Dell Mini 9 with Racy 5.3 from flash drive and set up a wireless connection, over Broadcom B4312 card.
It works until reboot.
It takes entire minute or 2 to "save" my settings at shut down, but when it reboots - it never auto connects to my router. It alwaqys shows some 192.168.33.0 IP address (where only it comes from?).

Sucks. Please advise.

firak

#72 Post by firak »

Racy - is the ounly puppy that support properly my sound card, and I can use the mike -also.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 799#622799

B.K. Johnson

Retrovol incomplete

#73 Post by B.K. Johnson »

OscarTalks

There is nothing below; what u see is what I got.

The snapshot I posted came from my laptop running wary-5.3. I get the same with racy-5.2.2. But on my desktop the GUI is OK for both. So as you said it must be hardware related.

[EDIT]
I had just added saluki and wary-5.3 to my flashdrive kennel. Saluki performance on my desktop was poor because of insufficient memory (512MB) so I switched the testing to my laptop (3 GB). When done I rebooted to test the new wary-5.3. Being accustomed to puppies having mic input as the default setting whereas my needs are for line input I routinely launched mhWaveEdit and checked the mixer. Hence my alarm. But I am now thinking that the graphic reflects the fact that my laptop does not have a line input from which to record. Later, on checking saluki, I saw that there is only Playback.

So I conclude i have raised a false alarm :oops: .

BK

Argolance

#74 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Why could I make my wacom tablet graphire3 working with Wary/Racy 5.2 and not with the latest release 5.3? Tried all what I could (following posts and tutorials found in this Forum) but without success... :?

Cordialement.

666philb

#75 Post by 666philb »

vtpup wrote:
666philb wrote:gnome-mplayer may need you graphic drivers installed to change the screen size
Thanks 666philb, but which drivers do you mean? (my graphics hardware is reported as: Intel 2nd generation core processor family integrated graphics controller )

btw VLC has no problem with graphics screen sizing on this same computer. Why would Mplayer require specialized video drivers?
i just found that gnome-mplayer requires your video drivers to change screen size (vlc doesn't though).... don't know why.... but on a fresh install i have the same problem as you until i either install nvidia /ati / or xorg high drivers.
video drivers is one of the first things i install on a fresh install
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#76 Post by 666philb »

i'm trying to compile linphone on racy and i'm getting this error

Code: Select all

checking X11/Xlib.h usability... yes
checking X11/Xlib.h presence... yes
checking for X11/Xlib.h... yes
checking X11/extensions/Xv.h usability... yes
checking X11/extensions/Xv.h presence... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xv.h... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xvlib.h... yes
checking for XvCreateImage in -lXv... no
configure: error: No X video output API found. Please install X11+Xv headers.
configure: error: ./configure failed for mediastreamer2
i've tried install the .dev files for libx11 and libxv but still get this error..... what am i missing?

pemasu

#77 Post by pemasu »

# find /root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c -name "Xv*"
/root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/Xvlib.h

/root/my-documents/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-5-w5c/usr/X11R7/include/X11/extensions/Xv.h

http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/mi ... -5-w5c.pet

DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS:
yes|x_xorg76_mega_pkg|x_xorg76_mega_pkg|exe,dev,doc,nls| #RACY Xorg 7.6 mega-pkg

firak

#78 Post by firak »

Racy work better then others on my neetbok - atom based.
On my asus 1215p - the micropone is finally sopported and working.
Heavy browsing (10 tabs)+ falsh videos, seems folwing better then 528Puppyes, for this atom cpu.
Wireless cofig perstency - happend ounly after 4th time I store the IP adress.

I think that is a great distro , whit the new kernel,and a full repository of programs!

vtpup

#79 Post by vtpup »

666philb wrote:
vtpup wrote:

i just found that gnome-mplayer requires your video drivers to change screen size (vlc doesn't though).... don't know why.... but on a fresh install i have the same problem as you until i either install nvidia /ati / or xorg high drivers.
video drivers is one of the first things i install on a fresh install
Thanks for the explanation 666philb. Which xorg high driver for Racy?

I tried one earlier in the week and it crashed X. I didn't know how to boot into Racy after that to remove the pet so I had to start with a completely fresh personal savefile. Had to hard reset, and the lcd driver was sounding like damage was imminent. Tried a pfix=clean from the CD, but that didn't solve it. Had to hard reset again. Didn't do the filesystem any good to hard shut either, and it messed up some files outside of puppy, despite pfix=fsck in grub start line..

Been reluctant to try one again unless I know exactly what to load. I've noticed that several items in the "official repository" have fatal problems -- a first in my experience in 4 years of using main line puppies.

Is Racy just hitting on Wary repositories for.pets and sfs that are in fact untested and inappropriate for it?

Anyway, I'd be glad to try xorg high (for many reasons) if it didn't crash X, or if there was a way to remove it once installed if it did crash X.again.

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

vtpup

"Xorg High" is essentially "mesa", which Racy has built in so there is no more you can do as far as intel is concerned apart from recompiling Xorg and adding features which Barry has left out. I don't know what they would be exactly but I do know he made a concerted effort to remove xcb.

Perhaps there are options you can enable in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for your particular video card. That is an exercise which will require plenty of searching. Arch wiki is always a good place to start.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access