Doesn't Linux need antivirus and firewall?

For discussions about security.
izezi

#16 Post by izezi »

2byte wrote:

# Disable javascript and flashplayer in the browser. Only enable it as needed.
#5 Run your browser and email client as a limited user. Not spot.
Beyond practicing basic computer security steps such as not clicking on email attachments and such, I think the smartest thing a person can do is not let JavaScript run by default on any site you visit. NoScript for Firefox is a great extension.

BSD doesn't run as root by default so it limits to some extent what damage can be done.

Other than a few passwords to throwaway email boxes I never keep anything important on my machines.
Last edited by izezi on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

izezi wrote:
2byte wrote:

# Disable javascript and flashplayer in the browser. Only enable it as needed.
#5 Run your browser and email client as a limited user. Not spot.
Beyond practicing basic computer security steps such as not clicking on email attachments and such, I think the smartest thing a person can do is not let JavaScript run by default on any site you visit. NoScript for Firefox is a great extension.

BSD doesn't run as root by default so it limits to some extent what damage can be done.

Other than a few paswords to throwaway email boxes I never keep anything important on my machines.
Along the lines of making easy work of disabling browser features, I recommend a Firefox entension PrefBar 6.01

I'm attaching a partial pic of the toolbar it makes. One can check and uncheck features with ease.

~
Attachments
prefbar.jpg
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 2111 times

8-bit

#18 Post by 8-bit »

In my case, I do not keep any personal information on my PC that could be considered a security risk.
What I have on my PC that is important to me is backed up to CD or DVD and not just once.
I recommend making two so one has a copy just in case.
I once had the luck of dropping a windows install CD and it hit in such a way that it had a major scratch that ruined it.
So a backup is a good thing.
If you want anything from my PC, just ask and I will save you the trouble of hacking in and just send it to you!
That is the way I feel about the stuff on my PC.
My Puppy installs have the Pupsave file backed up on a regular basis to external media so a restore of Puppy is simple.
If Win Vista goes, oh well.
Other than a few games, I do not use it at all.
And I did make the factory restore DVDs, about 5 DVDs if you can believe that! Or was that for windows 7 64 bit?
It makes one appreciate Puppy all the more.

I run the firewall that comes with Puppy and have avast on demand antivirus that I update once in a while to do a check of my system.

But if you think about antivirus programs that are free or even those you pay for, I think the first thing a cracker would do in designing malware is to design it to get past a virus checker or a firewall.

How does one know that their PC is not being used remotely as a BOT?

If I worried enough about all the evils ones computer can be exposed to, I would be using pencil and paper.

Be like Alfred E. Newman (Mad Magazine) "What? Me Worry!"

Bruce B

#19 Post by Bruce B »

8-bit wrote: How does one know that their PC is not being used remotely as a BOT?
There could be a number of ways. My preferred way is disconnect the computer for the internet and connect it to a local proxy server. A proxy server which keeps detailed logs.

By not having any direct access to the Internet, any activity has to go through the proxy server. The log files will tell the story.

~~~

An easier setup is using netstat. The way I do this is using the continuous option >> to a file.

The problem is the file becomes huge and the disk is continuously in fairly heavy use.

I discourage the big file size somewhat effectively by filtering for only the information I'm looking for by use of grep

Then I defeat the disk writes by writing to a mounted /dev/shm directory. This way the writes are to an accessible file in RAM.

~~~

Sorry I don't have an existing script, and I only do this monitoring when seriously concerned.

I guess I would recommend starting by searching the Internet for Linux netstat examples.

With modest study of the netstat man page you might not even need to see an example.

~

Bligh

#20 Post by Bligh »

Would an app like conky provide that info?
Cheers

postfs1

Re: Doesn't Linux need antivirus and firewall?

#21 Post by postfs1 »

carmelosawyer wrote:Hi there. Are there any antivirus apps for Linux, like there are for Windows? Or maybe Linux doesn't need any such apps? I just got puppy linux, but I am afraid to connect to the net without any security apps running. It does have a firewall of its own, though. Anything I need to download and run along with it?
wrote: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 209#587209
Image Theme: Security/Privacy Image
wrote: Image
Last edited by postfs1 on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 03:31, edited 17 times in total.

Sky Aisling

Doesn't Linux need antivirus and firewall?

#22 Post by Sky Aisling »

I agree Bruce B, Considerations of Attitude.
Also, I have to question what is "irreplaceable" data?
If data is that important then store it on an external medium.
Periodically, I simply wipe everything off my machine.
I start fresh. This feels so good. Try it some time.
A pundit once said, "Nothing is ultimate". Think about it.

Ibidem

#23 Post by Ibidem »

Bruce B wrote:
8-bit wrote: How does one know that their PC is not being used remotely as a BOT?
An easier setup is using netstat. The way I do this is using the continuous option >> to a file.

The problem is the file becomes huge and the disk is continuously in fairly heavy use.

I discourage the big file size somewhat effectively by filtering for only the information I'm looking for by use of grep

Then I defeat the disk writes by writing to a mounted /dev/shm directory. This way the writes are to an accessible file in RAM.
I just use

Code: Select all

nethogs ath0
It has a UI similar to top, and lets you watch usage (kb/mb of in/out network traffic) by process name.

Eldon

#24 Post by Eldon »

You can also install xfprot in the puppy application manager and use Growl to(among other things) run your browser as a 'super user" while still being logged in as root.
Last edited by Eldon on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

Our Swedish version of PCWorld Mag told us that
Apple computers that are supposed to be so secure
is not that secure.

Now suppose Ms has 90 % of the market and
Apple have 9% and Linux has 1%

would the criminals care about Linux instead of going for
the 90 or 9 and not make much effort to get into one lousy percent?

We don't know do we. So maybe one need to be cautious.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#26 Post by Lobster »

I don't want to be fearful. Frankly, I want to enjoy my computing.

Exactly so. 8)
I wrote GROWL.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 216#335216
Do I use it? Of course not. My router has a firewall and so does Puppy and I will run as root and use Flash and Javascript. I will visit dodgy sites. I will download any pet I choose. I will take risks and feel safe enough to browse where I will . . . 8)

I could be more careful . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CategorySecurity

Paws up those who compute in a security cage whilst wearing a tin hat?
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 04 Aug 2012, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dave_G

#27 Post by Dave_G »

Lobster wrote:
Paws up those who compute in a security cage whilst wearing a tin hat?
Isn't that what Windows is for? :wink: