USB failure after working some time

Using applications, configuring, problems
simoc

USB failure after working some time

#1 Post by simoc »

Hello!

I earlier asked about a connection issue in a thread named: "Nokia HSDPA dropping connection in Lucid Puppy". Thanks for the replies on that.

But, after trying connection also with PGPRS, encountering the same behavior and seeing errors related to serial interface, I figured out that it's actually the USB port which is failing when the connection is dropped (my phone-as-a-modem is connected via USB).

When it happens, no USB memory stick or any other USB device either, works anymore, until the computer is rebooted.

Might there be some way to restart a confused USB driver, or something like that, without rebooting? Or better yet, to prevent such thing from happening?

Thanks in advance.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a tool for you to try. It works with my USB wifi adapter, but your situation sounds more serious.

1. Install the PET below.

2. There is no menu entry. Locate the program "usbreset" in /root/my-applications/bin and drag it to the desktop.

3. There is a matching icon graphic in /root/my-documents/clipart.

4. Run System > Pupscan and identify the Vendor ID and Product ID codes for your device.

5. When the device hangs up, click on the usbreset icon. Select your device by its VendorID:ProductID.

6. Click OK.
Attachments
usbreset-1.0.pet
(5 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

simoc

#3 Post by simoc »

Thank you, I'll try that.

Just for curiosity, how does my situation seem more serious? Just to know what to fear ;-)

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Just as a side node :

I compiled udevd-070 on puppy-4.3.1 and installed it upon the included version-124 .

All drivers loaded at boot, but the usb mouse did only work some seconds and the usb keyboards randomly disconnected and reconnected .