kocg

opera is not starting, suddenly

#1 Post by kocg »

why?
version is 5.3.0.

and how to fix that.

Terryphi

#2 Post by Terryphi »

kocg, give us more information and we will try to help you.

Which version of Opera are you using and how did you install it? I assume "version 5.3.0" refers to Puppy rather than Opera which is now at version 11.62. Which Puppy are you using?

Have you tried running Opera from the terminal? If so, are there any error messages?
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

kocg

#3 Post by kocg »

here is some of details:

my 5.2.5 puppy totally crashed in that size that i couldn't install it again at all, and - i installed puppy 5.3.0. from xp with windows installer to have dualbooting, and installed opera 11.62 automatically from .pet directory.

and it worked nice couple of hours, till i installed wine_puppy_lupu_something.pet that i had previously in the computer. nothing else i did in meantime. i thought maybe wine is problem, and deintstalled it, but nothing happened.

i tried to run from console typing "opera" but nothing happened.
in pfinder i typed opera and clicked on every god damned result file from list, and again nothing happened.

i can't install and deinstall opera every two days cause it has lots of settings, neither os every two weeks, and lose hours and hours

i just want solid solution, both for os and browser, just to install and don't think about it for years, nevermind if it's some older version of simple free os, or browser.

and how i realised, this puppy versions are beta, very unstable, and not for ultimate solution. and you are going in public with a dozens and dozens of unstable beta versions per year, instead of 2 or 3 perfect versions per decade and in time to add patches to fix bugs, threating users as free beta-testers of your non-finished numerous versions with forum as feedback platform.

don't understand that logic. or do i.

and now for basic question - do you suggest to remove this opera version i installed, and put that opera .sfs what you have in signature?

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hello, kocg

You wrote:
> i can't install and deinstall opera every two days cause it has lots of settings, neither os every two weeks, and lose hours and hours

I'll let Terryphi answer the main question since he got here first, but as to the settings: make a back up copy, like so (or something very similar):

A) create a folder named "opera-back-up" on your main drive or a thumb drive; and open it with ROX-Filer. Keep this directory open

B) in your /root directory look for a directory named ".opera" (that's "period opera") and open it with another ROX-Filer.

C) transfer all files with an ending of
*.ini
*.adr
*.dat
and also the "skin" folder
from B) (.opera) to A) (opera-back-up)

Now if you have to reinstall your opera for some reason, you simply copy in reverse (from the back-up to the ".opera" folder) and you will have all your settings back next time you start opera. This will save you a lot of time.

I hope this helps for part of your problem.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

not sure that puppy is totally to blame. i have opera on a separate partition because although it is wonderful it is also very naughty. it corrupts files and is subject to what i believe to be virus attacks from websites while browsing which can cause problems.
solutions are to clear the cache or delete private data often (from the menu in opera). also run fsck -f /dev/sdb1 in a terminal which will find and fix corruptions but only use this on unmounted partitions.also clearing the flashplayer cookies helps too. sometimes i have to manually go into the opera/profile folder and delete whole folders of stuff like icons and cache and vps etc. it all gets replaced automatically.
i can reinstall a new puppy and opera in well under 10 minutes. as musher says keep a backup of the profile folder from opera and a backup of you pupsave file somewhere offline.

kocg

#6 Post by kocg »

@musher0, are you explaining back up of opera? that's usefull information, tnx, i'll use it when i'll have enough knowlige for that.

aarf wrote:i can reinstall a new puppy and opera in well under 10 minutes.
well, if you have experience. i have every two days crashes and freezings on computer couple of years old, and as addition, things about i don't know about linux appear every two days.

in these about 4 months i use linux, i reinstalled it about 30 times i think. what is that, is it official or beta?
i don't say puppy is the worst, not, for my needs, my knowlidge of linux, and knowlidge of installing is the best, but it's not solid. please programmers, make a version that will have only few funtcions but will be without any bug, work perfectly, and it would last a year.

aarf wrote:keep a backup of you pupsave file somewhere offline.
yout think on the .2fs file? ey, i'm interested in that, please explaine me how you do that? and how you open that folder with extension .2fs?
sometimes i have to manually go into the opera/profile folder and delete whole folders of stuff
that's a good tip. i'll erase opera folders and files after deinstalation, and instal that .sfs version that sugested terryphi in his sign-place.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, kocg.

Yes, I did explain how to back up important config files of opera in my previous post.

With all due respect, if this problem has gone on for as long as you say, you should have posted here sooner. Puppy has a very large community, and our common trait is that we like to help each other out.

What you say about the behaviour of opera is quite surprising, since I've never had major problems with it, and I've been a fan of opera since its version 3 (10-12 years ago!). Perhaps some other program is interfering with it. Also, can you check if you are using a stable version and not a bêta version? Prior to an official release, opera will put out a bêta version, and those will be unstable.

What you say about Puppy is only partly true. We are "Puppies", therefore we collectively have a young character, we are fidgety and we like to try out new things.

That said, I had first the Muppy 0.8.3 variant which I kept for a year and a half, then the my-wolfe 0.8 variant for a couple of years and in last December I changed to lucid puppy 5.25 RETRO.

What I am trying to say here, is that you DO NOT have to follow each and every change that the major developers of Puppy put out. You may want to follow what's going on in Puppy if you're the curious type, but not to is ok too. You can choose a Puppy distro that suits you and stick with it for a long time. Heck, some forum members here advertise in their signature that they are still using Puppy 3.0.1, which is over four years old! :)

About the packages, I think your criticism is a bit harsh. it is true that some packages that are posted in the forum are experimental. And that's ok: someone has an idea about a package, and asks for help in testing. That's how you improve a package, by testing it.

Now if you go to http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/, that's where the thoroughly tested packages end up, that's where the solid ones are stored. And thanks to the tremendous work of Bruce B., there is a complete index of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/ibiblio_puppylinux.html

Have some patience with us and perhaps yourself, stick with Puppy for awhile, ask as many questions in this forum as you have problems, and you might just find that Puppy, underneath the fidgety appearance, is quite solid. IMHO, it's the best distro around because of its adaptability and other reasons -- and I've tried a lot of distros.

Can Puppy still count you as a friend? :D

woof!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

aarf

#8 Post by aarf »

kocg wrote:

aarf wrote:i can reinstall a new puppy and opera in well under 10 minutes.
well, if you have experience. i have every two days crashes and freezings on computer couple of years old, and as addition, things about i don't know about linux appear every two days.

in these about 4 months i use linux, i reinstalled it about 30 times i think. what is that, is it official or beta?
i don't say puppy is the worst, not, for my needs, my knowlidge of linux, and knowlidge of installing is the best, but it's not solid. please programmers, make a version that will have only few funtcions but will be without any bug, work perfectly, and it would last a year.

aarf wrote:keep a backup of you pupsave file somewhere offline.
yout think on the .2fs file? ey, i'm interested in that, please explaine me how you do that? and how you open that folder with extension .2fs?
this image is the pupsave = lupusave in lupu528.005 (which i recommend as a stable puppy) . just copy the lupusave as you would copy any other file. drag and drop it somewhere and then answer copy to the pop-up dialog. no need to look inside it. the lupusave is only created in frugal installs after you create it via the shutdown dialog when running a new install. i recommend frugal stalls over full installs. never done a full install of any puppy.
Attachments
image-1.png
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

kocg

#9 Post by kocg »

@musher0, i transferd on 5.2.5. and everything is ok now.
i'm glad you admit about puppies what i said above, you don't need to bark at the end.

@aarf, yes, that' it, nice tip. i learned from this thread too much. that is absolutly necessary, install all possible programs, set up everything, and then copy that .2fs file on some cd or flash. and when you have crash or anything, just reinstall and add that file in that puppy folder. simple and briliant.

sorry for my english,

and thanks.