[SOLVED] What does the 'Lock screen' desktop icon do?

Booting, installing, newbie
sgull

[SOLVED] What does the 'Lock screen' desktop icon do?

#1 Post by sgull »

By default after recent installation of Lucid Puppy 528 there is an icon on the desktop which looks like this (from screenshot) http://imagebin.org/206376

On mouse-over of the icon, it says Lock the Screen. I assume this means when it says this that that screen is unlocked, and that if I were to click on it the screen would become locked.

What exactly does it mean when the screen is locked, or unlocked? If it's locked does that mean anything attempted to click on will not open or otherwise be activated? Or is there much more to it than that? What would be typical scenario(s) for wanting the screen to either just remain unlocked or sometimes be put into the locked mode?
Last edited by sgull on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

This is a simple screen locker. You may want to lock your screen so others cannot see or use your computer when you are away.
The first time you click on Xlock, you will be asked to make a password, that you will use to unlock the screen.

There is a good help file that can answer some of the basic questions you ask.
Go to menu->Help->Puppy Help 101
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sgull

#3 Post by sgull »

thanks bigpup. And I'll definitely read over the puppy 101 basic directions, thanks for the advice. I really need to take the time to read over more of the stickies in the beginners help forum here too. Just got a little over-anxious to get all set up and get my new puppy going, and have reached that point now, thanks to plenty of generous help given from more experienced users like yourself.