Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 16:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Blinking Icon Not Sure Waht It Is or How to Stop It
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
discombolixt

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 16:23    Post subject:  Blinking Icon Not Sure Waht It Is or How to Stop It
Subject description: Blinking Icon

I quit Puppy Linux about 1 1/2 years ago just decided to give it another try and most certainly will start over at the beginners section but there is something has to be fixed first.

Lower RH corner near the clock is a blinking red and black Icon which I think might be something to do with down loading. Anyway I don't know what it is or how to stop the damn thing. :-) Also a red flag comes up says "the personal memory is getting full - do something".

I did try to download the newest release for Iron. Can't find that file and think it's stuck in download mode. Maybe. Just a guess. During the download I tried to close the window thinking the download was complete. It wasn't so I continued on but that might have caused a problem. Anyway that's the only clue I can give you.

I rebooted to Puppy, back to Windows, Back to Puppy and it is still blinking.

What should I do?
RSH

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 16:43    Post subject: Re: Blinking Icon Not Sure Waht It Is or How to Stop It
Subject description: Blinking Icon

discombolixt wrote:
I quit Puppy Linux about 1 1/2 years ago just decided to give it another try and most certainly will start over at the beginners section but there is something has to be fixed first.

Lower RH corner near the clock is a blinking red and black Icon which I think might be something to do with down loading. Anyway I don't know what it is or how to stop the damn thing. Smile Also a red flag comes up says "the personal memory is getting full - do something".

I did try to download the newest release for Iron. Can't find that file and think it's stuck in download mode. Maybe. Just a guess. During the download I tried to close the window thinking the download was complete. It wasn't so I continued on but that might have caused a problem. Anyway that's the only clue I can give you.

I rebooted to Puppy, back to Windows, Back to Puppy and it is still blinking.

What should I do?

The blinking icon means your personal storage file is full / needs to be resized.

You can do this somewhere in the utility menu --> Resize personal storage file.

You can also remove files from your personal storage file but i would recommend to resize it.

musher0

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 16:52    Post subject:  

Hello !

Sorry to hear that Puppy is giving you a hard time... This simple solution will probably help.

Your flshing red lignt means one of two things: That you either

1) haven't created a pupsave file or

2) that it is almost full.

Case 1)
Close your Puppy normally by clinking the shutdown or the reboot entry in your menu.

After a few seconds, you will be asked if you want to save your parameters and the work you did during your first session. Answer yes.

Then you are presented with some choices :
save to CD|DVD or
save to file

Choose your pick and follow the prompts

Your working file will be saved and your computer will reboot | shutdown.

Case 2)
Open Puppy Menu -> Configuration -> Make pupsave bigger (can't remember the exact wording just now)
A panel appears telling you how many Mg's your Pupsave file currently has and the amount of Meg's to add, in multiples of 32Mb, more or less.

I'd suggest adding 512 Mb. Since you're interested in big programs such as Iron, this will give you enough space to install Iron on your system, and then some.

Then reboot or shutdown, immediately. (You've got an emergency light flashing, remember?) Smile

With either of the above solutions, when your Puppy restarts, your blinking red light should be a stable green light instead, meaning: "all is ok".

Tell me how it went?

BFN.

discombolixt

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 17:43    Post subject:  

OK Thanx.

I increased the storage a couple times and slit that blinkers throat at least for a while.

Sun don’t rise and set on Iron.

So with that under my belt I’m off to the rookies section - see if I can relearn what little I did know and hopefully go on from there.

DBLXT
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012, 00:10    Post subject:  

Hi.

Good to see you
Quote:
slit that blinker's throat for awhile.
Cool

If you're satisfied with the solution, could you kindly put a "(Solved)" in the title of the thread? Since you initiated the thread, you're the only one who can do it. Thanks.

Have a great stay in Puppyland!

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: