VNC server issues?

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Hmm thats all a web search brought up and it seemed to be more of a problem with windows clients but the problem does seem to be related...ie incorrect key interpretation.

A bit out of ideas on this one

mike

toronado

#17 Post by toronado »

Oddly, one uppercase character does work... holding down shift when pressing the comma key does produce the expected "<" character.

toronado

#18 Post by toronado »

I found the solution right under my nose. It was discussed toward the end of the thread where the x11vnc pet packages are.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=15

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Ah ha.... well x11vnc is the mickey mouse version of vnc so I suppose the answers will be found in puppy land somewhere :D

Well another solution for the wiki..... sorry well minded search

by the way does x11vnc work if X is not running on the server?

mike

toronado

#20 Post by toronado »

mikeb wrote:by the way does x11vnc work if X is not running on the server?
I haven't tried that. I'd need to learn how to prevent x from running in the first place before I could test it, but I don't really have a need for that at the moment.

toronado

#21 Post by toronado »

mikeb wrote:by the way does x11vnc work if X is not running on the server?
OK, I exited X (by choosing menu > exit to prompt) and the vnc connection dropped. So no, it doesn't work without X running. Restarting X and reconnecting works, so appears x11vnc only works while X is running.

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

Ok cheers I thought it did but it was years ago I played with it...I remember the mouse fights.
A true vnc starts its own session like ssh so is independent but because of that it requires a suitable xinitrc and puppie's is such a mess its a nightmare to get it working....cloning the existing desktop as x11vnc does happens to suit this situation.

have remote fun

mike