Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
gcmartin

#601 Post by gcmartin »

pemasu wrote: ... Now it seems to behave....and I get HDMI video outputted to my lcd TV and also....HDMI audio using ATI inbuild audio system !!! First time in my Puppy history I get HDMI audio...
Not bad....well...it means great.

Now I need to remaster this...which I usually dont do at all...so that I have this great HDMI friendly setup made permanent. I have already umplayer, smplayer, vlc, qt-4.8.2 installed.
Very promising. ... .
I would like to experiment with this "remaster" ISO you create as well.

What will be the chance of extending the kernel in the future for more than the customary 4GB. It would give greater room for system operation and data use.

I sure you are aware, though.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

rodin.s

full install shutdown in 5.3.91

#602 Post by rodin.s »

It was reported in Russian Puppy forum that Precise 5.3.91 (and Slacko-5.3.3) won't shutdown in full install, just goes to command prompt and it shuts down after entering command:

Code: Select all

busybox poweroff 
So the person who reported this just added this line in /usr/bin/wmpoweroff:

poweroff
busybox poweroff
It was report about my remastered Russian version but I didn't change anything in "poweroff part".

pemasu

#603 Post by pemasu »

I would like to experiment with this "remaster" ISO you create as well.
This remaster has that ATI driver preinstalled and configured. I am not gonna create generic version of it. It worked oob with first remastering. Just needed checking through /root and /etc so that remaster has all the needed configuration files and folders included. Worked fine. Of course I can upload my remaster if someone wants ATI driver preincluded version. I am going to include more nice stuff though like rox right clicks, laptop tools, acpitool, xbindkeys, vattery-acpitool...when I have time....and remaster it with them also.
But this is already great.

I have now tested desura also and I am installing several free games for my youngest son...to play in lcd tv. 500 Mb to almost 1 Gb the biggest games I am downloading. Heh.

Sage

Old NICs and wlans

#604 Post by Sage »

p.39
Me:
Any chance some kind soul could add Netgear FA311revD2 NIC to the list, please?
pemasu
That NIC uses natsemi.ko module.
Ah yes, tried the natsemi for my DP83816AVNG and the other National DP83820 with the results you predicted. Not sure whether BK would feel inclined to fix it?!

Notwithstanding, at the bottom of a rather large heap, discovered my old Inventel wlan box from an earlier incarnation with Wanadoo - and it WORKS if you can find the correct USB connector. The little silver box signs on either as a Globspan Virata Cohiba 3887 rev0 or Wiston Neweb UR054g according to whether SNS or Dougal's utility is used.

Maybe this will help another horder?

Now here's a request of interest to Smart TV users. None of my USB NICs function with my Samsung machine. They want 42quid for one of theirs against 10quid for an OEM. Is someone in the trade prepared to divulge how they've wired their dongle to detect it as one of theirs. I don't have the genuine article so can't offer to slice it in half to discover their subterfuge. Or maybe it hard encoded?

technosaurus

#605 Post by technosaurus »

I previously posted support for btrfs in guess_fstype:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 646#651646

In order to support btrfs as a (compressible) save file format that can upgrade from ext*, the kernel would need support and the following scripts patched:
  • /bin/compile_et
    /bin/mk_cmds
    /bin/mount
    /sbin/init
    /usr/sbin/bootflash
    /usr/sbin/bootmanager
    /usr/sbin/e2ore3.sh
    /usr/sbin/filemnt
    /usr/sbin/grubconfig
    /usr/sbin/Pudd
    /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller
    /usr/sbin/remasterpup2
    /usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh
    /usr/sbin/savesession-dvd
    /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig
    /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
These are mostly just adding btrfs (or whatever extension we decide on) to the scripts where you fine 2fs or 3fs (some may/may not have 4fs) Btrfs can do a lot of stuff on the fly, but the tools (an technology) are still fairly new, but some distros are already using it by default
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

runtt21

#606 Post by runtt21 »

I have found an issue that causes shutdown problems with usb frugal installs. I have set up a fresh install of precise 5.2.60 to compile an new version of e17 for macpup. I have 5 other usb installs of precise that all work fine. They all use a save file. This time I chose to save to the whole partition so it uses the complete usb . The problem is this new install won't shutdown , it will go back to a prompt or loop back to the jwm. The only difference is that it doesn't have a save file. I have had a report of this happening in macpup 529 ( based on precise) same kind of set up. usb with no save file.

01micko

Re: Old NICs and wlans

#607 Post by 01micko »

Sage wrote: Now here's a request of interest to Smart TV users. None of my USB NICs function with my Samsung machine. They want 42quid for one of theirs against 10quid for an OEM. Is someone in the trade prepared to divulge how they've wired their dongle to detect it as one of theirs. I don't have the genuine article so can't offer to slice it in half to discover their subterfuge. Or maybe it hard encoded?
Not in the trade, but I reckon they are learning some lessons from the forbidden fruit, and getting in strife doing so. Likely proprietary firmware and only their module only in the kernel.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peterw

Sage's request for data on Samsung products

#608 Post by peterw »

Sage, if you want information on Samsung TVs then try the web site http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Main_Page. You might find an answer there. I have briefly searched in the past for items such as keyboards for my SMART TV but it is not clear whether even Samsung ones would work in plugged in a TV usb port. Apologies to anyone who thinks this is a bit of the beta 6 comments.

LoboGrande

Finally up and running on the P4/socket 478 machine!

#609 Post by LoboGrande »

Well it seems that Puppy Precise Beta 6 doesn't like the MSI VO56, V-3 PCI-E(Nvidia 7300 LE chipset) card that was on my Asus P4V800DX mobo. I swapped an old Nvidia 6200 AGP 8x and it loaded up fine. SeaMonkey behaves better in this distro than I've ever seen it in other Puppy distro. No washed out panels on Facebook. You Tube videos also load pretty fast. It'll keep this 6 year old computer going for a while yet. Lucid Puppy 5-28 and 5-29 also run well. Can't wait till we get some proper PET packages in the PPM!

P3/478/800fsb with 4gb of PC3200 RAM
80gb SeaGate SATA HDD
Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP 8x

stu91

#610 Post by stu91 »

Only just got round to testing these latest release of Precise Puppy - is there a bug with xorgwizard? as i am unable to manually select radeon driver, however probe/auto does select the radeon driver. This is a same problem in Pemasus Wheezy build as well.
B43 wireless is working.

cheers.

Sage

#611 Post by Sage »

Thanks, peterw . Samsung giving away IPR?!

As for Precise B6, it's a cracking piece of work. For the record, (and predictably!) FlashPlayer is giving its usual grief. Different browsers, and more importantly browser versions seem to need different FPs with no guidance as to which to use (sometimes worse: misguidance from the Adobe site!). For the default SM browser safest to load FP v.10.3, as recommended previously (by ???). These matters are of utmost interest to UK/BBCiPlayer users until Auntie throws off the cloak of M$ junk, Blair legacy of IT ignorance and finally gets their systems onto rational distros + HTML5.

scabz

#612 Post by scabz »

libcdio has changed and broke some apps i compiled so back to see if i can get them to compile with this version.last time i tried to compile against this version of cdio it is the same as ov precise. i couldnt get vcdimager to compile and xine-lib 1.2.2, xine-ui 0.99.7. so i have to see what all is broken now. i know the ver. in beta 5 is old from 2009 i think but to me it works better.

So back to compiling and if that doesnt work, i will just keep using beta 5.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#613 Post by BarryK »

technosaurus wrote:attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
... so if this works I got it from xfsprogs/libdisk/fstype.{c,h} and there were some more available (gfs was one)
Good stuff! This will now be in all future pups:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02992

I have also compiled it for ARM (using uClibc instead of dietlibc) and that will be in next Woof commit.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#614 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:
technosaurus wrote:attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
... so if this works I got it from xfsprogs/libdisk/fstype.{c,h} and there were some more available (gfs was one)
Good stuff! This will now be in all future pups:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02992

I have also compiled it for ARM (using uClibc instead of dietlibc) and that will be in next Woof commit.
Works too!

# mkdir /mnt/test
# guess_fstype /dev/sdf1
btrfs
# mount -t btrfs /dev/sdf1 /mnt/test
# cd /mnt/test
# ls
# ls
usr
# cd -
/root
# umount /mnt/test
That was a usb drive, transferred some files to my slackware box and they arrived in one piece.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#615 Post by BarryK »

majorfoo wrote:Found my problem with above post.
Missing library = LibXxf86misc.so.1.1.0

Now works
Ubuntu does not have that library.

So, it would seem that you tried to run xscreensaver from elsewhere, not an Ubuntu program, then reported it here as a bug when it wouldn't work.

...hmmm.

Ubuntu does have a 'xscreensaver' deb, installable from the ppm.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: bold or normal

#616 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:
tiangeng wrote:<MenuStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans-12:bold:oblique</Font>
</MenuStyle>

I added "BOLD",I deleted "bold",it's ok.
You also need to remove the dash(-) from 'Sans-12' so that the titlebar (of the windows) can show Chinese characters.
<Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>
Wrong. This misinformation has been around for a very long time.

JWM recognises the Xft format as shown here:
http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/fonts.shtml

Jwm does not recognise <Font>DejaVu Sans 12</Font>, and instead falls back to using the default GTK font -- which, most likely, is DejaVu Sans, or whatever else has been set as the font in the gtkrc file.

I other words, you can put any gibberish into those tags, ex <font>yabby doo dah 12</font> and it will give the same effect.

That's my understanding anyway.

Correction:
Um, no, I don't think that JWM will fall back to using the default GTK font if it can't understand the <font> tag -- probably it will use the default Xft font.
Last edited by BarryK on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#617 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Barry

Did you find that seamonkey wouldn't compile against system cairo? Perhaps vpx too if yours isn't recent enough. Can you post the mozconfig please? It certainly has grown a few megabytes in the past couple of years and this version as against 2.11 grew over 1 M. (When I compiled in Slacko, the official mozilla version was smaller once I removed the modern theme).
Here it is:

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-sm-release
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=suite
ac_add_options --enable-application=suite
ac_add_options --enable-system-hunspell
ac_add_options --localstatedir=/var
ac_add_options --sysconfdir=/etc
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
ac_add_options --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --with-system-bz2
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-places
ac_add_options --disable-gnomevfs
ac_add_options --disable-gnomeui
ac_add_options --disable-system-sqlite
ac_add_options --disable-system-cairo
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
ac_add_options --enable-libxul
ac_add_options --enable-storage
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/seamonkey
ac_add_options --enable-jsd
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-libnotify
ac_add_options --with-system-libvpx
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --enable-chrome-format=omni

However, I will be including libnspr and libnss in the next release of precise Puppy, so next time that I compile SM, for Ubuntu (and Debian) cases anyway, I will use "--with-system-nspr" and "--with-system-nss".

Note, I prefere "--enable-chrome-format=jar", unfortunately that is broken at installation. Another case of inadequate testing -- omni is "flavour of the month" and that is all the developers have bothered to test.
[/code]

bigpup

#618 Post by bigpup »

Any work being done on fixing the graphics issues, several people have had, with first boot?
In general older Nvidia graphics cards do not like Nouveau driver.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Karl Godt

#619 Post by Karl Godt »

About BOLD fonts :
bash-3.00# xlsfonts | grep '[0-9]b.*'
6x13b
7x13b
7x14b
8x13b
9x15b
9x18b

xlsfonts | grep '\-b.*'
shows a bunch of fonts ie
-misc-dejavu sans-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
but

xlsfonts | grep '\-b.*' | grep 12
shows no *dejavu sans-bold* s .

* NOT in any Ubuntu based Puppy atm though *

gcmartin

Precise has a minor logic flow at system startup

#620 Post by gcmartin »

@Barry. Again, I just tested the most recent Beta6.

FirstRUN has the same problem. As it turns out, it is NOT SHOWING the LAN tailoring section even though the PC has adapter on the motherboard. It appears that FirstRUN is "keying" on an active wire in the adapter versus merely looking for the adapter ONLY.

FirstRUN really should present LAN tailoring no matter if a wire in present in eth0 or NOT. This reduces any need to revisit LAN tailoring steps when a wire is connected or if WiFi is started.

Hopefully BK is following this.

Here to help