Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 41 of 59 [875 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 57, 58, 59 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 16:26    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
... Now it seems to behave....and I get HDMI video outputted to my lcd TV and also....HDMI audio using ATI inbuild audio system !!! First time in my Puppy history I get HDMI audio...
Not bad....well...it means great.

Now I need to remaster this...which I usually dont do at all...so that I have this great HDMI friendly setup made permanent. I have already umplayer, smplayer, vlc, qt-4.8.2 installed.
Very promising. ... .
I would like to experiment with this "remaster" ISO you create as well.

What will be the chance of extending the kernel in the future for more than the customary 4GB. It would give greater room for system operation and data use.

I sure you are aware, though.

Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 16:41; edited 2 times in total
rodin.s

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 16:30    Post subject: full install shutdown in 5.3.91  

It was reported in Russian Puppy forum that Precise 5.3.91 (and Slacko-5.3.3) won't shutdown in full install, just goes to command prompt and it shuts down after entering command:
Code:
busybox poweroff

So the person who reported this just added this line in /usr/bin/wmpoweroff:
Code:
poweroff
busybox poweroff

It was report about my remastered Russian version but I didn't change anything in "poweroff part".
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2012, 17:55    Post subject:  

Quote:
I would like to experiment with this "remaster" ISO you create as well.

This remaster has that ATI driver preinstalled and configured. I am not gonna create generic version of it. It worked oob with first remastering. Just needed checking through /root and /etc so that remaster has all the needed configuration files and folders included. Worked fine. Of course I can upload my remaster if someone wants ATI driver preincluded version. I am going to include more nice stuff though like rox right clicks, laptop tools, acpitool, xbindkeys, vattery-acpitool...when I have time....and remaster it with them also.
But this is already great.

I have now tested desura also and I am installing several free games for my youngest son...to play in lcd tv. 500 Mb to almost 1 Gb the biggest games I am downloading. Heh.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 13:50    Post subject: Old NICs and wlans
Subject description: Bad news - good news

Quote:
p.39
Me:
Any chance some kind soul could add Netgear FA311revD2 NIC to the list, please?
pemasu
That NIC uses natsemi.ko module.

Ah yes, tried the natsemi for my DP83816AVNG and the other National DP83820 with the results you predicted. Not sure whether BK would feel inclined to fix it?!

Notwithstanding, at the bottom of a rather large heap, discovered my old Inventel wlan box from an earlier incarnation with Wanadoo - and it WORKS if you can find the correct USB connector. The little silver box signs on either as a Globspan Virata Cohiba 3887 rev0 or Wiston Neweb UR054g according to whether SNS or Dougal's utility is used.

Maybe this will help another horder?

Now here's a request of interest to Smart TV users. None of my USB NICs function with my Samsung machine. They want 42quid for one of theirs against 10quid for an OEM. Is someone in the trade prepared to divulge how they've wired their dongle to detect it as one of theirs. I don't have the genuine article so can't offer to slice it in half to discover their subterfuge. Or maybe it hard encoded?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 14:50    Post subject:  

I previously posted support for btrfs in guess_fstype:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=651646#651646

In order to support btrfs as a (compressible) save file format that can upgrade from ext*, the kernel would need support and the following scripts patched:
    /bin/compile_et
    /bin/mk_cmds
    /bin/mount
    /sbin/init
    /usr/sbin/bootflash
    /usr/sbin/bootmanager
    /usr/sbin/e2ore3.sh
    /usr/sbin/filemnt
    /usr/sbin/grubconfig
    /usr/sbin/Pudd
    /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller
    /usr/sbin/remasterpup2
    /usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh
    /usr/sbin/savesession-dvd
    /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig
    /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy

These are mostly just adding btrfs (or whatever extension we decide on) to the scripts where you fine 2fs or 3fs (some may/may not have 4fs) Btrfs can do a lot of stuff on the fly, but the tools (an technology) are still fairly new, but some distros are already using it by default

runtt21

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 17:43    Post subject:  

I have found an issue that causes shutdown problems with usb frugal installs. I have set up a fresh install of precise 5.2.60 to compile an new version of e17 for macpup. I have 5 other usb installs of precise that all work fine. They all use a save file. This time I chose to save to the whole partition so it uses the complete usb . The problem is this new install won't shutdown , it will go back to a prompt or loop back to the jwm. The only difference is that it doesn't have a save file. I have had a report of this happening in macpup 529 ( based on precise) same kind of set up. usb with no save file.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 17:55    Post subject: Re: Old NICs and wlans
Subject description: Bad news - good news

Sage wrote:

Now here's a request of interest to Smart TV users. None of my USB NICs function with my Samsung machine. They want 42quid for one of theirs against 10quid for an OEM. Is someone in the trade prepared to divulge how they've wired their dongle to detect it as one of theirs. I don't have the genuine article so can't offer to slice it in half to discover their subterfuge. Or maybe it hard encoded?

Not in the trade, but I reckon they are learning some lessons from the forbidden fruit, and getting in strife doing so. Likely proprietary firmware and only their module only in the kernel.

peterw

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2012, 03:46    Post subject: Sage's request for data on Samsung products
Subject description: Pointer to Samygo

Sage, if you want information on Samsung TVs then try the web site http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Main_Page. You might find an answer there. I have briefly searched in the past for items such as keyboards for my SMART TV but it is not clear whether even Samsung ones would work in plugged in a TV usb port. Apologies to anyone who thinks this is a bit of the beta 6 comments.
LoboGrande

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2012, 04:14    Post subject: Finally up and running on the P4/socket 478 machine!
Subject description: Hardware glitch/incompatibility.

Well it seems that Puppy Precise Beta 6 doesn't like the MSI VO56, V-3 PCI-E(Nvidia 7300 LE chipset) card that was on my Asus P4V800DX mobo. I swapped an old Nvidia 6200 AGP 8x and it loaded up fine. SeaMonkey behaves better in this distro than I've ever seen it in other Puppy distro. No washed out panels on Facebook. You Tube videos also load pretty fast. It'll keep this 6 year old computer going for a while yet. Lucid Puppy 5-28 and 5-29 also run well. Can't wait till we get some proper PET packages in the PPM!

P3/478/800fsb with 4gb of PC3200 RAM
80gb SeaGate SATA HDD
Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP 8x
stu91

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2012, 07:28    Post subject:  

Only just got round to testing these latest release of Precise Puppy - is there a bug with xorgwizard? as i am unable to manually select radeon driver, however probe/auto does select the radeon driver. This is a same problem in Pemasus Wheezy build as well.
B43 wireless is working.

cheers.
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2012, 07:33    Post subject:  

Thanks, peterw . Samsung giving away IPR?!

As for Precise B6, it's a cracking piece of work. For the record, (and predictably!) FlashPlayer is giving its usual grief. Different browsers, and more importantly browser versions seem to need different FPs with no guidance as to which to use (sometimes worse: misguidance from the Adobe site!). For the default SM browser safest to load FP v.10.3, as recommended previously (by ???). These matters are of utmost interest to UK/BBCiPlayer users until Auntie throws off the cloak of M$ junk, Blair legacy of IT ignorance and finally gets their systems onto rational distros + HTML5.
scabz

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2012, 12:24    Post subject:  

libcdio has changed and broke some apps i compiled so back to see if i can get them to compile with this version.last time i tried to compile against this version of cdio it is the same as ov precise. i couldnt get vcdimager to compile and xine-lib 1.2.2, xine-ui 0.99.7. so i have to see what all is broken now. i know the ver. in beta 5 is old from 2009 i think but to me it works better.

So back to compiling and if that doesnt work, i will just keep using beta 5.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2012, 20:52    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
... so if this works I got it from xfsprogs/libdisk/fstype.{c,h} and there were some more available (gfs was one)

Good stuff! This will now be in all future pups:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02992

I have also compiled it for ARM (using uClibc instead of dietlibc) and that will be in next Woof commit.

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2012, 21:47    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
technosaurus wrote:
attempt to blindly add btrfs to guess_fstype (no btrfs drives here to test on)... also reduced binary size from 18k to 11k by replacing printf with write (its still faster than blkid) ... also fixed? some bad errors in the adfs code
... so if this works I got it from xfsprogs/libdisk/fstype.{c,h} and there were some more available (gfs was one)

Good stuff! This will now be in all future pups:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02992

I have also compiled it for ARM (using uClibc instead of dietlibc) and that will be in next Woof commit.

Works too!
Code:
# mkdir /mnt/test
# guess_fstype /dev/sdf1
btrfs
# mount -t btrfs /dev/sdf1 /mnt/test
# cd /mnt/test
# ls
# ls
usr
# cd -
/root
# umount /mnt/test

That was a usb drive, transferred some files to my slackware box and they arrived in one piece.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2012, 23:02    Post subject:  

majorfoo wrote:
Found my problem with above post.
Missing library = LibXxf86misc.so.1.1.0

Now works

Ubuntu does not have that library.

So, it would seem that you tried to run xscreensaver from elsewhere, not an Ubuntu program, then reported it here as a bug when it wouldn't work.

...hmmm.

Ubuntu does have a 'xscreensaver' deb, installable from the ppm.

Page 41 of 59 [875 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 57, 58, 59 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: