Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
feelsub

#466 Post by feelsub »

Billtoo wrote:
I compiled vlc-2.0.3 and qt-4.8.2 in precise puppy.

vlc is about a 12mb download and qt-4.8.2 is about 45mb.

The download link for qt is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-97ac889a.html

The download link for vlc is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-bc2923b8.html

Nice, but I won't host these on ibiblio nor can they be added to PPM, as they need to be split into EXE, DEV, DOC and NLS pets.
gimp-2.8.2-1-precise.sfs is available.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/precise/
Based on the gimp
how do you know if one doesn't follow the forum???

General and easier for all puppies:
the ability to search & install applications. Why not centralize search on applications' name, its version and finally possible sources & install mode.

A CSV file can do that; for instance:
GIMP;2.8.2;pet; i686;URL1;URL2;URL3; ....
GIMP;2.6.12;sfs; i386;URL1;URL2;URL3; ....
[/code]

tiangeng

HP5200 network printer still unable to work

#467 Post by tiangeng »

HP5200 network printer still unable to work.
Slacko530 use CUPS1.4.8,it work fine.

rcrsn51

Re: HP5200 network printer still unable to work

#468 Post by rcrsn51 »

tiangeng wrote:HP5200 network printer still unable to work.
1. What is the full model name of your printer?

2. What driver are you using when you install the printer in CUPS? The built-in Gutenprint driver? An HPLIP package?

3. What is the exact nature of the problem? Does CUPS not detect the printer? Does it print garbage? From a CUPS test page? From an application?

4. Does it work when connected directly by USB?

mikeslr

Finding applications

#469 Post by mikeslr »

@ feelsub,

Devs, having spent long hours developing applications and discussing them on active Puplet threads, are too exhausted to note their existence on the "Additional Applications" sub-forum, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63. Fortunately, the Puppy Forum is a do-acracy. A users, who finds something useful not cataloged on the Additional Applications Sub-Forum can, him-or-herself, write a short, descriptive post with a link to the post(s) containing the application's discussion and download link. If the user thinks about it. Or he or she can do what the rest of us do: complain about the lack of organization and fall back to a well-minded, http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html, search to find something.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Finding applications --Deleted >Double Poost

#470 Post by mikeslr »

Deleted>Double post

scabz

#471 Post by scabz »

BarryK can you remove transmisson or include the last of the gtk2 series transmission-2.60-i686-percise.pet, This pet has libevent-2.0.20-stable-i686.pet included. this transmission-2.60-i686.pet dose not include libevent-2.0.20-stable-i686.pet.DEV,DOC and NLS for transmission and libevent are all in my repo http://www.mediafire.com/?mpv88jj3bp0m3.

the reason i ask is because i like to creates one big sfs with all the apps i want in it.sfs's that have the same app as the main sfs will not use the app from the custom sfs and will use the one in the main sfs, so it is like it is not present in my custom sfs.

tiangeng

Re: HP5200 network printer still unable to work

#472 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote:
tiangeng wrote:HP5200 network printer still unable to work.
1. What is the full model name of your printer?

2. What driver are you using when you install the printer in CUPS? The built-in Gutenprint driver? An HPLIP package?

3. What is the exact nature of the problem? Does CUPS not detect the printer? Does it print garbage? From a CUPS test page? From an application?

4. Does it work when connected directly by USB?

1. HP Laserjet 5200n

2. no driver.

3. CUPS detected the printer,but it print garbage from a CUPS test page and an application.

4.appSocket/HP JetDirect, RAW.

rcrsn51

#473 Post by rcrsn51 »

tiangeng wrote: 2. no driver.

3. CUPS detected the printer,but it print garbage from a CUPS test page and an application.

You should NOT have installed your 5200 as a RAW printer. That's why you are getting garbage.

Under Make, select HP. Under Model, select Laserjet 5200.

I notice that you have the printer working in Slacko. Did you install it the same way? It may work there because this printer is Postscript-capable. But I don't know why Precise would behave differently.

In any case, RAW printing is intended for situations where the target printer is connected to another computer that will be responsible for formatting the print job. Your situation requires a driver or at least a PPD file.

tiangeng

#474 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote:
tiangeng wrote: 2. no driver.

You should NOT have installed your 5200 as a RAW printer. That's why you are getting garbage.

I notice that you have the printer working in Slacko. Did you install it the same way? That may be because this printer is Postscript-capable. I don't know why Precise would behave differently.

In any case, RAW printing is intended for situations where the target printer is connected to another computer that will be responsible for formatting the print job. Your situation requires a driver or at least a PPD file.
I installed the HP5200n driver,but not selected it.
In Slacko,I install it the same way,both wary530 and racy530.
thanks, I will test it again.

rcrsn51

#475 Post by rcrsn51 »

tiangeng wrote:I installed the HP5200n driver,but not selected it..
???
Precise already has a Gutenprint driver for the 5200 built-in. Are you installing some other package?

tiangeng

#476 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote:
tiangeng wrote:I installed the HP5200n driver,but not selected it..
???
Precise already has a Gutenprint driver for the 5200 built-in. Are you installing some other package?
sorry, it is slip of tongue.

The HP5200 print is successful. :D
This is the msg:
  • Description: HP5200
    Driver: HP LaserJet 5200L - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
    Connection: socket://10.170.8.67
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
[/list]

but, why RAW not work fine?

tiangeng

#477 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote: You should NOT have installed your 5200 as a RAW printer. That's why you are getting garbage.

I notice that you have the printer working in Slacko. Did you install it the same way? It may work there because this printer is Postscript-capable. But I don't know why Precise would behave differently.

Slacko use CUPS1.4.8, appSocket/HP JetDirect, RAW. it work fine.
why?

rcrsn51

#478 Post by rcrsn51 »

tiangeng wrote:The HP5200 print is successful.
Excellent.
but, why RAW not work fine?
I don't know. Like I said, this is not the standard way to use RAW.

If you want to set up your 5200n as an "official" HP Postscript printer, use the PET below. Delete your current printer and let CUPS discover it again.
Attachments
HP_5200_PS_PPD-3.12.4.pet
(42.69 KiB) Downloaded 379 times

tiangeng

#479 Post by tiangeng »

[quote="rcrsn51"
I don't know. Like I said, this is not the standard way to use RAW.

If you want to set up your 5200n as an "official" HP Postscript printer, use the PET below. Delete your current printer and let CUPS discover it again.[/quote]

Thanks.
What is the standard way to use RAW?

rcrsn51

#480 Post by rcrsn51 »

As I understand it, you should use RAW in situations where another computer is responsible for formatting the print job to be compatible with the target printer. For example:

You are sending a print job from a Linux client to another Linux machine running a Samba server. The client will set up its printer as RAW because the server machine will do the formatting.

tiangeng

#481 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote:
As I understand it, you should use RAW in situations where another computer is responsible for formatting the print job to be compatible with the target printer. For example:

You are sending a print job from a Linux client to another Linux machine running a Samba server. The client will set up its printer as RAW because the server machine will do the formatting.
I see, thanks.

rcrsn51

#482 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you tested the "official" PPD? When I looked inside, it says "for Macintosh only". So I would like to know if it works for you.

If it doesn't, I have another one from openprinting.org that I would like to test.

tiangeng

#483 Post by tiangeng »

rcrsn51 wrote:Have you tested the "official" PPD? When I looked inside, it says "for Macintosh only". So I would like to know if it works for you.

If it doesn't, I have another one from openprinting.org that I would like to test.
Yeah,I tested it,
it work fine. :D

rerwin

hsfmodem driver for kernels 2.6.31 and higher

#484 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I have revised the hsfmodem support components and updated source code to bring HSF modem functionality to puppies based on kernels 2.6.31 and newer, using instructions from an ubuntu forum. (I expect to add details soon.)

The driver itself is in its kernel-designated package. The puppy infrastructure and code-release related parts are in a package intended for inclusion in woof (at some point). I hope to automate the building of the driver itself, to simplify creation for the various kernels. That is, unless you feel that is not necessary because you already have your own way to do that.

Attached are the two dotpets and the updated hybrid-coded source tarball. Users can add HSF modem capability by installing the two dotpets.
Richard

Update: Re-uploaded the source package, with build residue removed, after download #5.
Update: Re-uploaded both pet packages (after download #6), to remove an extraneous file and simplify setup.

UPDATE 9/10/12: Removed the 'sync' commands that appear to have caused unreliable detection. Uploaded corrected package after download #12. Also, please uninstall the previously-suggested "delta-3c" fix, which turns out to be an incorrect solution.

UPDATE 9/11/12: Corrected generation of conflicting-module blacklist, uploaded after download #1. This should be the last of the updates, until someone reports a problem with this. Thanks for your patience.
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 22:13, edited 6 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#485 Post by BarryK »

Precise Puppy "beta5" released:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02983

Looking good!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]