Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 05:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 59 [875 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 57, 58, 59 Next
oldyeller

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:48    Post subject:  

I do not think so.

We are all just waiting for the next step by BarryK.

Patience is hard when this looks so promising.

Who knows maybe pemasu will still take it over.

Until the next one

Cheers
Terryphi

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:57    Post subject:  

This recent blog post by Barry may be of interest to those expecting further development of Precise Puppy (by Barry.)

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02886

rameshiyer

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2012, 01:20    Post subject: Precise Puppy
Subject description: Final version

I want Precise Puppy final version at the earliest.
cowonjolt

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul 2012, 00:33    Post subject:    

Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul 2012, 02:17    Post subject:  

cowonjolt wrote:
Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.

What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2012, 18:15    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.

Would you care to provide an example or two?
The part that wouldn't be fount in x86 ("normal") machines but are still applicable to them is very interested conceptually. Could you elaborate?

linuxcbon

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2012, 20:57    Post subject:  

Some bugs found on both : xz support for DEBs, f.s. check at bootup, busybox diff, ext4 support, etc. (see Barry's blog). These bugs are easier found on raspb, because all programs have to be compiled again, many scripts modified, and tested again.
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2012, 21:47    Post subject:  

linuxcbon wrote:
cowonjolt wrote:

Well.. linuxcbon is right there, but the idea of Woof is so that Barry doesn't have to maintain Puppy. Read this post on Barry's blog.
I have my hands full with Slacko and other real life commitments, but if anyone wants to further develop Precise Puppy they are welcome. It's all open source after all.

ahoppin

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2012, 19:35    Post subject:  

I hope nobody will be offended if I post a comment here as a user.

I've gotten truly outstanding service from Lucid 525 over the past year. I have full installations on several (mostly older) boxes and laptops and I've installed it for a couple of friends to replace virus-trashed Windows installations. This is one capable OS. The fact that it's tight and compact is the proverbial icing on the cake.

One of the features I love is the binary compatibility with Ubuntu packages. Yeah, I know, real Linux users compile from source, and I've done that a few times. But if you're building a house you might not have time to also assemble your power saw, and being able to download a program and go with minimal hassle makes all the difference when your computers are not just ends in themselves but also tools to get stuff done.

Regardless of what anyone may think of Ubuntu, it's still very popular (#2 on distrowatch as I type this). Almost every software developer makes Ubuntu binary packages. The Ubuntu official repository is huge and well maintained. So Lucid Puppy has a huge, stable extended repository too. Almost any program written for Ubuntu can be made to work on LuPu with a little patience.

But, but, but. Lucid Lynx is getting to be something of an aging OS, and Lucid Puppy is also turning into an older dog. That makes the idea of a new Ubuntu-derived Puppy using LTS Precise *really* appealing.

I've hung in there with Lucid 525, not even moving to 528, because I have a huge amount of effort and time in customizing 525. But I have to say, I'd switch to Precise Puppy in a blink, if a stable official release were to land here.

I wish I could take it on myself, but not a chance. I just don't have the Linux chops. But I really hope somebody does, because I'd wager there's a whole houseful of us out here who'd adopt this puppy in a second.

So if you're thinking about it .... nudge, nudge ... please?

Thanks.
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2012, 07:43    Post subject:  

requested by runtt21

i packaged up a version of gtk-youtube-viewer for precise http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835

roadkill13

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2012, 21:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
i packaged up a version of gtk-youtube-viewer for precise http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835

Thank you for this.
splot

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:11    Post subject:  

Shinobar posted a SFS of Gimp 2.8 here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=633013&search_id=31565127#633013
and nobody has acknowledged it.

This is just to advise that it works perfectly in Barry's Precise, and also in UPup Precise.

Much appreciated, Shinobar.
runtt21

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2012, 16:49    Post subject:  

I have been using Shinobar's Gimp.sfs for a while now , works great !!!
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 13:37    Post subject:    

Not to belabour a point but I whole-heartedly agree with nearly every word that "ahoppin" posted above. I wrote "nearly" only because I've clung tooth-and-nail to Lucid-Pup-5.28 and 3-Headed-Dog ( which is based upon Lucid-Pup-5.28-005 by the way ) for all this time until Jejy asked me whether or not this Precise happened to work on my ancient computer and its hardware - for a possible porting test of his new Mate/LXDE desktops.

It was a very sad day for me when Puppy endorsed Slacko and Slackware. I haven't a clue why ( and believe me I've wracked my brain and beat up this computer trying to figure out WHY!? ) but my ancient machine refuses to work on Slacko/Slackware no ifs, ands, or buts! - yet it has this definite love affair with anything Debian/Ubuntu! I find this very odd myself as Slackware is known for being lite-weight whereas the two latter load on the dependencies galore.

Be that as it may my 10 year old system screams lightning-fast under Lucid and I figured I would be using this until my computer's motherboard blew a gasket and ended up in the recycle bin outside my window.

That was until a few days ago and when I loaded BarryK's Precise Puppy here only to discover newer software and an OS which is just as fast as my beloved Lucid upon which Playdayz and crew worked so many hours, and placed so much love and care, into producing for us!

So I too agree with ahoppin here! I so desperately hope that someone out there with the calibre of Micko, PlayDayz, WhoDo, Tux, et al, will step forth and grab the horns of Precise to give us yet another LTS Puppy build. I'd be tempted to take this one on myself if it weren't for the fact that my own time for being here was perhaps now limited to months.

Please? Anyone?

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

ilanrab

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 17:49    Post subject:  

ahoppin wrote:

I've gotten truly outstanding service from Lucid 525 over the past year...

One of the features I love is the binary compatibility with Ubuntu...
... The Ubuntu official repository is huge and well maintained...
... That makes the idea of a new Ubuntu-derived Puppy using LTS Precise *really* appealing.

I've hung in there with Lucid 525, not even moving to 528,...

So if you're thinking about it .... nudge, nudge ... please?

I am reluctant to switch away from 525.
Lucid 525 is an outstanding release. I discovered unpleasant issues with 528, and reverted back to 525.

The Ubuntu repository's success is important in many ways. It's not simply the "number" of packages. There's much more to it.

Indeed, it would be a pleasant surprise to see the Puppy Linux development continue in that successful direction, in spite of the tremendous reluctance by some of the puppy developers.

cheers,

Page 19 of 59 [875 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 57, 58, 59 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: