Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

News, happenings
oligin10

thanks

#61 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks guys. Must be something wrong with my burn, but it did install properly. Not sure why it doesn't work on mine, but no problems. Ext2 works fine. Just wondered, as TeenPup Mini worked fine with ext3 partitions. What type of hard drives were you guys using? And my reference to home partition was due to previously having pclinuxos on the laptop.
Thanks, Rob

James C

#62 Post by James C »

I've got Legacy OS Mini installed on a regular, old-school ide hdd.Just haven't gotten around to testing on sata yet.

Did verify that there was no problem a bit earlier, moved a number of files between an ext 3 partition and ntfs.... both ways. Worked fine.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#63 Post by Lobster »

LegacyOS will be featured for a short time on the wikki home page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Don't get jealous you other pupleteers . . . :wink:

John's LegacyOS is number 70 on distrowatch.
Is it a fork?
Is it a spoon?
Is it ideal for you?
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

number 70
No.7 on the 7-day hits.
However, if John cannot get the assistance he's requested from the heavy-weights to make it boot properly, that could sink to 700 very soon. You only get one bite of the cherry with neophytes. One no-boot and things could go Pear -shape...

umair

#65 Post by umair »

Hello Every One:
Legacy OS 4 is not playing video flv files, tried all installed players but no luck.
Any suggestions?
UMAIR

john biles

#66 Post by john biles »

Hello umair,
ffplay should play your flv file. In Rox file manager right mouse click on .flv file, select "Set Run Action" and a box will appear. Open another Rox Window and navigate to /usr/bin and find ffplay. Drag and Drop ffplay in to the box with the message "Drop a suitable application here". Box will close. Now when you click on a .flv file, ffplay should play it.

Hello Sage, I will keep searching for a fix to the Ram issue.
You only get one bite of the cherry with neophytes.
True! , but I'll say this "I've been testing a number of so call popular Linux Distros to see what's happening generally with Linux. I won't mention names, all I'll say is Legacy OS and Puppy are far from being the worst Distros out there. Some of the releases I've tried left me very disappointed. I would be ashamed to release such stuff. All the while Linux users are excepting this stuff? I just don't get it?

Ext3 partition problems? unusual?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#67 Post by john biles »

Hello Lobster,
LegacyOS will be featured for a short time on the wikki
Thank you, that's great news. :D

umair

#68 Post by umair »

john biles wrote:Hello umair,
ffplay should play your flv file. In Rox file manager right mouse click on .flv file, select "Set Run Action" and a box will appear. Open another Rox Window and navigate to /usr/bin and find ffplay. Drag and Drop ffplay in to the box with the message "Drop a suitable application here". Box will close. Now when you click on a .flv file, ffplay should play it.
Thank You John,
Works like a Charm :). Now Can play flv files very smoothly on old P-III ;)
UMAIR

Sage

#69 Post by Sage »

John: you have every reason to be proud of your creation resulting from meticulous dedication and polish well beyond the norm.
It just surprises me that there are contributors to this Forum who probably know the answer to the booting paradox. Not sure why they haven't responded yet? You certainly know who they are! Why not send them a PM?

john biles

#70 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
I've posted for Help / Advice in this post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 277#615277 If I get a reply, I'll update the iso and upload. If I don't get any replies, I'll keep looking myself. :mrgreen:

James C

#71 Post by James C »

To be honest, the init script gives me a headache but it appears the area of interest starts about line #988.

Code: Select all

#v405 decide whether to copy sfs's to ram...
COPY2RAM=""
COPYMSG='copying to ram' #purple
#v4.00 lowered rom 230000 to 220000... v403 added PUPSFSDEVMNTPT test... v404 explicit PCOPY needed...
[ $PUPMODE -eq 5 ] && PCOPY="yes" #well, override on first boot.
[ $PUPMODE -eq 77 ] && PCOPY="yes" #v406 multisession dvd.
#v404 absolutely must copy to ram, otherwise layerfs conflict...
[ $PUPMODE -eq 6 -o $PUPMODE -eq 7 ] && COPY2RAM="yes"
[ "$COPY2RAM" = "yes" ] && COPYMSG='forced copying to ram' #purple
[ $RAMSIZE -gt 220000 -a "$PCOPY" = "yes" ] && COPY2RAM="yes" #256MB system. note, only checking physical ram.

Indy452

OS4 wireless

#72 Post by Indy452 »

I can run and connect to WEP wireless encryption all day with no problems but I can't connect using WPA or WPA2 Why not?

Keef

#73 Post by Keef »

Indy452

I use the old Network Wizard and it always tells me it cannot make a WPA connection. Try ignoring the warning, and press Auto DHCP - it then works for me.

oligin10

Fantastic!

#74 Post by oligin10 »

Hi John, just had time to check out Legacy OS 4 Mini. Fantastic! If you recall, I had problems with sound on TeenPup Mini 2010. None here, works great and is persistent. No problems with wifi, although I would like to have more drivers available. Realtek 8187b still won't work. Sometimes the .pet for Realtek 8187b works, sometimes not. Just added Ttuuxxx's Frostwire pet for Classic Pup. Works great! Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to Legacy OS! Congrats, Rob :P
P.S. Did a full install to Sony Vaio laptop, running an old celeron 2.4ghz processor with 768 megs of ram, and 40 gig hard drive.

celeronM

#75 Post by celeronM »

Hi im new to the forum, and im been using puppy in my machine a laptop who has the CPU CeleronM, I did a manual hard drive partition and installed Legacy 4 in this machine, but I have some questions regarding RAM, as you can see i have firefox running and my ram spikes to high and never come down to a low level again, if i open more programs more RAM is beign used slowing the machine to the point of crash, CPU temp goes to high 52-55 C, how can i make the ram goes back to a level low without crashing o reboothing or shutting down the machine.

umair

#76 Post by umair »

celeronM wrote:Hi im new to the forum, and im been using puppy in my machine a laptop who has the CPU CeleronM, I did a manual hard drive partition and installed Legacy 4 in this machine, but I have some questions regarding RAM, as you can see i have firefox running and my ram spikes to high and never come down to a low level again, if i open more programs more RAM is beign used slowing the machine to the point of crash, CPU temp goes to high 52-55 C, how can i make the ram goes back to a level low without crashing o reboothing or shutting down the machine.
Hi CeleronM
You did not mentioned Ur PC Specifications in detail, anyhow fire Fox is usually resource hunger on old PCs. U may try some of lighter web browsers like QT Web.
link is : http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/2.14X/S ... f-i386.pet
Hope this will helps:
UMAIR

Indy452

#77 Post by Indy452 »

Can someone tell me how to keep my toolbar on top all the times and also how to keep the karamba thing too the far right...its like not in the middle of the screen but to the right but not far enough...I want it on the right edge at all times.....how do you do it? I can't figure it out.

One more thing....how can I replace Opera with FF in Karamba? Opera is out of date and I'm not sure how to update it.

Thanks...

john biles

#78 Post by john biles »

Hello Indy452,
To change the position of the Karamba sidebar, right mouse click over the sidebar and select "Edit Configuration" the editor will open.
Now here's the fun bit Legacy OS 4 is setup with the default screen resolution of 1024x768 now lets say yours was 1388x768 you would need to subtracted 180 from the 1388 figure which would equal 1208.
I have attached a screenshot to highlight the line to change to 1208 in this example. Remember to click save! Now right mouse click over the Karamba sidebar and select "Reload Configuration" and the sidebar should now be in the right position.

Now to change Firefox while you have the editor open scroll down to the lines shown in the Firefox screenshot and chance Opera to Firefox as shown in the example and Save
Again right mouse click over the Karamba sidebar and select "Reload Configuration". You should now have a Firefox icon and Firefox should start.

I hope this helps
Attachments
Firefox.jpg
(59.31 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
Karamba Position.jpg
(23.66 KiB) Downloaded 1380 times

Indy452

#79 Post by Indy452 »

Sweet! Thanks John B....It worked fine...good directions, I really appreciate that.

Now, the toolbar? How to secure it on top at all times? Its freeley moveable but I'd rather just have it on top at all times.....I can't seem to configure it....any ideas?

Thanks..*

john biles

#80 Post by john biles »

Hello Indy452
add ontop=true to the top line like this.

karamba x=844 y=0 w=180 h=768 locked=true interval=1000 ontop=true

save and reload.

While all functions for SuperKaramba won't work with Karamba, here's a guide to get you started.
Attachments
SuperKaramba-pdf.tar.gz
(125.34 KiB) Downloaded 567 times