Unzip and copy to /usr/share/icewm/themes
Attachments
XP.tar.gz
(80.21 KiB) Downloaded 974 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#107 Post by john biles »

Hello oligin10,
Try this; During development I experienced the same problem you have.
I discovered that if I waited long enough (maybe 10 minutes) the theme would load and karamba would also come back.

I'm about to go to work and are doing a 12 hour shift so may not be able to reply for till tomorrow...

Lastly with the large amount of different Hardware out there it is impossible for all configurations to work as expected. Most of us using Linux would have discovered even Ubuntu, Fedora etc with their team of programmers can't get their distro working with ever setup.
One advantage Microsoft has is the Hardware Manufacturer work hand in hand with Microsoft during development which is something Linux doesn't have at the moment.

oligin10

no problem

#108 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks John. No hurry. If you can help with this, that would be great. If not, I will try to find a workaround. I already used petbegone and removed your icewm, and reinstalled exact same version. That works, but it removes your settings. I will keep working on this also, and if I find a solution I will post it. This is not specific to my hardware though, as I tried two different computers, nothing in common except Intel. Not sure what umair tested with though. Thanks again for this great distro. I left it for a while, but after testing ndiswrapper, I have found this to meet and exceed all my needs except for itunes. Thanks again, Rob

oligin10

Found a Fix

#109 Post by oligin10 »

OK, here is a fix I found that will correct problem. First, download petbegone v0.4, "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035"
second, download 0pkgs_db-4.21
third, copy icewm from usr/share/icewm to a temp storage area
fourth, reboot into jwm
fifth, run petbegone and remove icewm
sixth, restartx
seventh, reinstall icewm from legacyos package manager
eighth, restartx
ninth, restart icewm from shutdown menu
tenth, delete usr/share/icewm
eleventh, copy your saved icewm and put it back in usr/share

This worked for me, hope it helps someone else. Thanks, Rob

slenkar

#110 Post by slenkar »

john biles wrote:Hello slenkar,
I tried legacyos 4 with my Intel graphics card, whenever I play a youtube video flash crashes when I do something else fairly intensive like loading another webpage, this doenst happen with legacyos 2 or other puppies so 'its a mystery'.
hi thanks for answering,

I was using Opera,
I tried Firefox just now and it behaves very well thanks

when I unzip the iso file for legacyos 2 or 4 and boot the kernel from grub4dos legacyos 2 or 4 cant see the saved sfs files so its like a new install every time I start it up. Also gparted and the universal installer cant see my partitions but pdrive can. So Ill have to wait til I get some blank cd's to install it.

umair

Re: Found a Fix

#111 Post by umair »

oligin10 wrote:OK, here is a fix I found that will correct problem. First, download petbegone v0.4, "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035"
second, download 0pkgs_db-4.21
third, copy icewm from usr/share/icewm to a temp storage area
fourth, reboot into jwm
fifth, run petbegone and remove icewm
sixth, restartx
seventh, reinstall icewm from legacyos package manager
eighth, restartx
ninth, restart icewm from shutdown menu
tenth, delete usr/share/icewm
eleventh, copy your saved icewm and put it back in usr/share
This worked for me, hope it helps someone else. Thanks, Rob
Its nice to know tht the problem has been solved. refer to ur previous post, I also checked Legacy OS-4 on 02 different PCs one was Pentium 4, 3 GB Dell Optiplex620 and the other was Intel Dual Core with 1 GB RAM but got the same error as you. Will check ur solution n post the result ;)
slenkar wrote: hi thanks for answering,
I was using Opera,
I tried Firefox just now and it behaves very well thanks
when I unzip the iso file for legacyos 2 or 4 and boot the kernel from grub4dos legacyos 2 or 4 cant see the saved sfs files so its like a new install every time I start it up. Also gparted and the universal installer cant see my partitions but pdrive can. So Ill have to wait til I get some blank cd's to install it.
Hi slenkar:
I am using FRUGAL install of Teen Pup mini and Legacy OS-4 with GROB4DOS without having any problems. Not checked the Legacy OS-2 yet.
here is my menu entry for Legacy os-4:
title Legacy os-4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /legacyos4/vmlinuz psubdir=legacyos4 pkeys=us
initrd /legacyos4/initrd.gz

Regards
UMAIR

slenkar

#112 Post by slenkar »

legacyos 4 can now load my sfs file thanks,

the universal installer cant see any partitions but thats not a big problem

oligin10

Waiting for results

#113 Post by oligin10 »

Hi umair, thanks for posting that you had checked on 2 computers with same results as mine. I'll be waiting to see how my fix works for you. I am working on a remastered version without Karamba or Opera. I was going to keep Opera, but since the flash player was broken, I am trying to find another browser with working flash player. Thanks, Rob

slenkar

#114 Post by slenkar »

hi in legacyos 4 Im using a text editor that was made with the fltk gui library, when I use it for a few seconds it crashes X, and in the crash log it says
Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x77) [0x80bfd57]
1: [0xffffe400]
2: X [0x80efcb8]
3: X [0x80efdd9]
4: X(xf86RecolorCursor+0x107) [0x80f5137]
5: X [0x8159f5b]
6: X(ProcRecolorCursor+0xdf) [0x808d28f]
7: X [0x8146aa7]
8: X(Dispatch+0x1ab) [0x8087ddb]
9: X(main+0x4a4) [0x8070234]
10: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x12e) [0xb7dac20e]
11: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e1) [0x806f591]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting
the text editor is for programming and its quite useful, it was compiled with a different version of linux,

danneauxs

USB Wireless wg111v3

#115 Post by danneauxs »

Ok, been an 80 hour work week so I'm a bit punchy so work with me.

Booted to a live cd on an old athalon 1.8 with 1G of ram.

Seems really nice but no internet.
Manually loaded the rtl8185 and no connection found.
Downloaded the windows driver and loaded the through the wrapper thing and found a connection.
Sorry can't recall the names of the programs since I'm not running it right now but I clicked on the wireless sybol in the upper right and it brought up that scanner program, found my router entered my password and it said I was connected but had a weird IP. Usually I'm in the 192.168.0.* but it has some strange 168.254.172.231 connection. I even turned off security on the router for a bit and it still just connected to the 168.254.172.231 IP.

Damn thing is the first time I did the above I got an internet connection. Downloaded thunderbird from pet repository. I walked away for a few hours after starting the download. When I came back it was finished but no internet connection. I don't think TB had anything to do with it BTW just that I hadn't used the system for a while.

I tried connection but no success. Rebooted but still didn't work. Rebooted to RAM with no saved file did what I did last time but didn't work this time. Best I could do was connect to the 168.254.172.231 IP address and it took several attempts then.

I guess I could buy a new wireless adapter but that's silly just to try out a puplet. I'd might consider it if there was a high linux compatible one out there for very cheap. I bought 4 of these netgear wg111v3 adapters for $20 all together.

Wow, I'm not sure if I made sense but I'm having trouble concentrating and no day off for 2 more weeks so ... anyone needs any info tell me what you need and I'll provide it.

TIA
Danneauxs

john biles

#116 Post by john biles »

Hello danneauxs,
Some users have had better luck with wireless after installing Pwireless2 give that a try. You can download from here.

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... spository/

User = puppy / Password = linux

As Legacy OS 4 Mini is based on Puppy 4.2.1 any WiFi drivers found on the forum created for that version of Puppy should work.
In the main Menu look under Internet / Network for link to a folder containing extra WiFi Drivers.

Keef

#117 Post by Keef »

danneauxs

If you are using WPA, pwireless won't work, as it is WEP only.
Try the NetWork Setup (old version), under menu > setup, I think.

danneauxs

#118 Post by danneauxs »

####Some users have had better luck with wireless after installing Pwireless2 give that a try. You can download from here.

John,
Just got a message that it couldn't find the server.

Keef,
Thanks, I did that. It was the only way I could even get the router SSID to show up. I'd run through the setup like I've done with other puppies (I popped in Lucid Pup 5.* and it worked fine) but it wouldn't connect. I was using WPA/WPA2 which I switched to OPEN but no luck. I didn't try WEP as I assumed if OPEN didn't work then...

I might give it a try. I only have a PCI card (trendnet421PC-423PI) left to try.Just have to take it out of one PC and then install it on the Puppy PC. I don't think it will work at least it's very fussy under windows, needs it's own manager to work.

I might just break down crawl under the house and run a phone line to the PC room and move the DSLmodem/router back there, might even be able to run my extra router as an AP off that to cover the rest of the house.

Thanks again everyone.
Danneauxs

danneauxs

finally working

#119 Post by danneauxs »

OK ditched the USB and installed the PCI card I mentioned. Loaded the drivers and after some futzing got it working. Not sure how all the other devices attached to my router are going to like WEP since verything was humming along on WAP2 nicely.

john biles

#120 Post by john biles »

Hello danneauxs,
Installing Pwireless2 will allow WAP2 in Legacy OS 4 Mini. Just download it as listed earlier in this post then reboot to use.

danneauxs

#121 Post by danneauxs »

Thanks John,
Most puppies I've tried detect the PCI card so I'll give OS4mini another try since I liked it so much.

Danneauxs

Usman55

Kernel panic - Out of memory

#122 Post by Usman55 »

I tried this OS on my laptop. Apart from the sound and wifi not working, I'm in love with it. I believe it's because newer hardware is not supported.

Now coming to the point, I want to install Legacy on an old Pentium 3 800 Mhz 256MB RAM computer. I tried installing it twice after rewriting the ISO to the flash drive but with no gain. After a lot of searching, I figured out that there is a bug which makes the files copy to the RAM and due to limitations, it overrides. I have a few RAMs lying around but none of them are compatible with this motherboard.

Has the bug been fixed?

Btw, I believe this is an amazing OS but it's community hasn't developed yet. It took me quite some time to know what the problem was.

oligin10

Solution to your problem

#123 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, here is John Biles solution to your problem about installation. Hope it helps, Rob

Hello slimhunter,
On some computers this has been a long standing problem which originates from the creator of Puppy (Barry K) belief that Puppy would aways be under 256mb's in size. When Developers like me come a long and increase the size of the iso above 256mb's his script or file decides to try and load the sfs file in to ram that's not big enough anyway. In the past I've posted for advice on this which never ended with a solution except one!

If you can pull out some RAM so you only have 128mb's Legacy OS 4 Mini will run off the CD and allow a full Hard Drive install. I use this trick all the time. Once Legacy OS 4 Mini is installed, replace the RAM and away you go.

Usman55

#124 Post by Usman55 »

You see, that's the problem. I don't have a compatible RAM.

Isn't there a way to create a swap partition on the flash drive which the system uses instead of actual RAM? Now that would be great.

starhawk

#125 Post by starhawk »

Usman55, let me see if I can rephrase what oligin10 is saying. You don't need to ADD memory, but to temporarily remove some of it. Let me go over it at a sort of beginner level, since I don't know your technical skillset.

Your computer's RAM is in "sticks", each of which goes in a "slot". You have either two sticks in two slots, two sticks in four slots, or four sticks in four slots. Like this...

SLOT_1 128mb
SLOT_2 128mb

...or...

SLOT_1 128mb
SLOT_2 128mb
SLOT_3 [empty]
SLOT_4 [empty]

...or...

SLOT_1 64mb
SLOT_2 64mb
SLOT_3 64mb
SLOT_4 64mb

There are a few other possibilities, I've seen both three slot motherboards and four-slot boards that alternate. So it might also look like this:

SLOT_1 128mb
SLOT_2 128mb
SLOT_3 [empty]

...or...

SLOT_1 128mb
SLOT_2 [empty]
SLOT_3 128mb
SLOT_4 [empty]

With your computer turned off and unplugged, open the case and you will see them. Flip the latches out for the highest-numbered slot with a stick in it (for the first two possibilities, this would be Slot 2; for the third, it would be Slot 4 -- for the weird boards, it would be either Slot 2 or Slot 3) and remove that one stick.

Now close it up, plug it in, and boot and install Legacy OS 4 Mini.

After shutdown, unplug the computer, open it back up, and put the stick back in. Flip the latches out, and push the stick down in there (mind the notches on the stick -- they must match the slot) until the latches click into place. It should require a fair bit of force, but if that stick REALLY doesn't want to go in, make sure that you've got it turned right -- you probably need to flip it around so that the label is facing the other way ;)

Hope that helps.