gtk-youtube-viewer (for lots of pups)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
rokytnji

Re: Streaming MP4 while downloading from Youtube

#136 Post by rokytnji »

sindi wrote:The suggested script says it is used in conjunction with a browser.
My goal is to stream Youtube without a browser on computers not fast enough to stream with a browser. There are free sites that convert Youtube to downloadable MP4 but I think they all need javascript (graphical) browsers to work. I don't want to download and then exit the browser to play because it takes as long to download as to play.

I could not get Wary to boot on my Thinkpad 560X 233MHz with 160MB RAM. Lilo won't work and it won't boot from the spinning CD in the base station. BIOS setup (hold F1 during boot) does not mention boot order. Too old to boot from USB CD-ROM drive.

The mplayer in Pulp03 (4.1.2-based) looks like it is playing but no sound (though aplay does work). xine played an mp3 file once but never again. Another binary of mplayer (compiled for P55C - i586) works on this 560x in an older linux (basiclinux) but not in Pulp (the required libc6-based libs are not recognized by ldd).

If there is some way to stream MP4 without using a graphical browser to download I will try to get some mplayer working in some version of puppy 4. Mplayer can also use vesa or fb instead of x11 on compatible hardware. (The 560X does not do framebuffer). They use less RAM than X.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6b6a90a57d

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 41d8601ab2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... asemonkey/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... /versions/

http://userscripts.org/

http://linternamagica.org/

youtube-dl ,cclive, are terminal based youtube downloaders for low spec gear. Linterna Magica can use mplayer for playing youtube videos.

Greasemonkey and user scripts I use on a daily basis covers a lot of bases. One must do their own research for what user script will fit the function that one wants to use on the web.

Screenshot below of my youtube greasemonkey buttons.

anyhows, I am just testing gtk-youtube-viewer. I can live without it. I was
the 3.0.9 post and figured peebee went through the trouble to build it.
So what the heck. I fit the specs to test it.

I did not make my links click-able because this forum likes to erase too many click-able links posts.
Attachments
roks.jpg
(20.59 KiB) Downloaded 999 times

sindi

Youtube on Thinkpad 600E with mplayer

#137 Post by sindi »

I installed some youtube downloader from a website in Firefox 3.6.28 (which won't install addons from the mozilla site). If I start a download then exit both the browser and the downloader to save cpu time, I can then play filename.mp4.temp from my default download directory but the file does not finish downloading so I will need to run the downloader while viewing (using more cpu power). I can quit the browser at least.

I have no sound until I exit the browser - plugin wrapper conflicts so I get error messages about no available /dev/dsp. Pluginwrapper also uses a lot of CPU power so I turned it off on a computer too slow for flash video.

Mplayer is using about 98% of the cpu for a 360p file, and 1024 screen resolution. The sound gets way ahead of the picture at 400MHz.

I think I need a faster computer to watch youtube with a downloader, or a lower resolution download (240p). I get messages that 'your computer is too slow'.

Maybe the sound would not get out of sync if I downloaded the whole file first. Experiments show that it takes 1 min to download 4 min of 360p at 2.4Mbps.

DVDs also get out of sync when played at 400MHz even with --hardframedrop.

A 312MB PocketPC with WM6 plays 320x240 (240p) Youtube okay.

Very little memory is used by mplayer. I have a uclibc version with support for -vo svga fbdev and vesa but this laptop is usable ONLY in X - if I exit X (Xorg) or switch to another terminal I get a blue and pink pattern, quite unreadable. X tends to use more resources.

The cd package is no longer at the Mediafire link.

I will check out the other suggested links.

I will try streaming downloading MP4 files on a 1GHz computer, to obtain the keyboard navigation and hopefully less stalling. This has been very educational.

A puppy 4.1.2 viewer would still be nice.

mikeb

#138 Post by mikeb »

Agreed 240p for mp4... otherwise the cpu overhead is still too high for that spec even with such as mplayer.
I do find working 2d acceleration will give better results than using the framebuffer so a good driver is a must...sounds like you have that anyway. Some framedropping is expected though that should help keep sound in sync.
Flash should be using alsa so if the wrapper is demanding /dev/dsp then better off without it.

There is an ffmpeg low res option I used to use on a K6 500 machine...its only good for DVD / mpeg2 but does make them watcheable by cutting demands by 50-75%. No good for mp4 unfortunately due to loss of needed keyframes.

There is some overhead when a browser is downloading a file too which does make a difference under marginal conditions.

Its a juggling act trying to do what you want on machines of that spec. Even if gtk-youtube-viewer worked on 4.12 you would still suffer from these limitations anyway.

mike

rokytnji

#139 Post by rokytnji »

Just a shot of the user scripts I use in conjuction with greasemonkey in case it helps.
Attachments
scripts.jpg
Script names I grabbed from userscripts.org
(63.33 KiB) Downloaded 941 times

keniv

#140 Post by keniv »

I think I was a bit premature in saying all was working well. I have found that sound gets way ahead of vision for any youtube video longer than a few minutes. I have tried using a lower resolution. This is on a 2GHz 1MB machine. Any suggestions on how I can keep the sound and video in sync.

Regards,

Ken.

sindi

mplayer won't play flv; browsers use too much memory

#141 Post by sindi »

Mplayer plays a downloaded mp4 (or part of it) but not an flv - I get an error message instead. (I think it played the first one but no others). A 240p download is flv, a 360p mp4.

Firefox 3 is using about 130% of memory including pluginwrapper.
Mplayer uses ony a few percent.

Youtube with firefox even at 240p is extremely jerky but the sound is at least in sync.

I can watch youtube at 240p on a 2006 PocketPC with 312MHz cpu - so why not on here?

sindi

slow download speed of Youtube downloader

#142 Post by sindi »

The download manager shows mp4 or flv (or two at once) downloading at a total of 68kps whether or not I am also streaming the video at the same time. At this rate it will take longer to download than to play. 108MB for 46min of 240p flv file (which won't even play with mplayer).

sindi

command line video downloaders

#143 Post by sindi »

smtube requires qt - can't get the right combination of libraries
youtube-dl requires python

cclive compiled for puppy 4 (two older versions) gives me error messages CLI or with the provided GUI - won't download files. Does anyone else have it working? Latest stable version is 0.7, compiled versions are 0.2.6 and 0.5.7. I only tried at Youtube.

keniv

#144 Post by keniv »

Changed the video output to x11 and this seems to have solved the video and sound sync problem.

Ken.

mikeb

#145 Post by mikeb »

Mplayer plays a downloaded mp4 (or part of it) but not an flv
Old version of mplayer?...flv could be soreson spark or google vp6.
Firefox 3 is using about 130% of memory including pluginwrapper.
A bloated version...3.5 or 3.6 you might find better though with your spec 1.5 might make more sense...thought you disabled the pluginwrapper? opera? qtweb? links?? dillo???

cclive..I abandoned years ago ..was used for a downloader here but its dependancies got silly.
I can watch youtube at 240p on a 2006 PocketPC with 312MHz cpu - so why not on here?
that 312 is equivalent to a 1000MHz plus intel cpu....now if you could hook up the monitor to it......
Changed the video output to x11 and this seems to have solved the video and sound sync problem.
most odd..X11 is the least efficient method...bad video driver maybe?

framedropping is usually the most likely way to improve sync....sync is not mplayers strong point...+ and _ will shift sound.
The download manager shows mp4 or flv (or two at once) downloading at a total of 68kps
if you have bandwidth limits that won't be solved by player options.
why am I still here?
don't know really.... a weakness I suppose.

mike

sindi

youtube downloader for puppy 4 etc.

#146 Post by sindi »

The mplayer is 1.0pre8. (A downloaded puppy 4 pet?).
Firefox is 3.6.28. It will not download l add-ons from addons.mozilla.org so I did a web search for a youtube downloader to use with it. Sothink free version.
If I disable the plugin wrapper I don't think I can use the youtube downloader. I disabled it in Opera on the 600e to improve memory usage.
Opera won't play flash (youtube) on that computer in puppy 4.3.1 despite ldd not finding any missing dependences for libflash in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. On my faster laptop neither of the Opera youtube downloaders produces the download button - other people have had this problem and i have not solved it. I was using firefox 3.6.28 because the
mozilla-site add-ons required at least that version.
I don't know a way to download youtube using links or dillo and did not try qtweb on that computer but in another experiment it used no less cpu or ram than firefox for playing youtube.
That was someone else's comment about changing video to x11. I cannot use vo -fbdev or vesa on that computer because I can't even use a regular terminal - pink/blue pattern. I will run some experiments on a computer that supports framebuffer. (The DELL inspiron 2500 that won't run Wary does not).
I tried -hardframedrop with mplayer (and x11) to no effect. Sound still way off even at 240p playing youtube inside a browser, or at 360p with mplayer.
My normal download speed is 2.4Mbps (240Kbps). I don't know why it was so much lower (68Kps) using the youtube downloader. This is about the same speed as if I watched from the browser. Maybe a paid version would be faster than this free one I found. I will experiment with other downloaders in a later firefox or seamonkey.

"Why am I still here" was someone else's comment. I am looking for a way to play Youtube videos with mplayer on older computers.

I have at least two computers where Wary 5.5 won't boot due to kernel panic and one where it won't boot because lilo won't work and one where it only runs at 40% of rated speed because cpufreq is not behaving as it does in Puppy 4. (I have not yet tried other Puppy 5's). Still looking for a solution for Puppy 4 that works with mplayer , not only to avoid the high usage of memory and ram I prefer the keyboard navigation even for faster computers with 512MB RAM.

Anyone want to test if cclive still works with Youtube? Maybe a newer version than 0.5.7 is required.

I found also a command-line movgrab but the older of the two pets (1.1.2) has a broken link and 1.1.3 is for glibc 2.15. (What puppy uses that?). I have updated both puppy 4's glibc to 2.11.3. Movgrab does not require gtk, qt, python, or perl, but won't compile in my very old basiclinux (with a much older glibc and 2.4 kernel).

I could try using wget to download a youtube video (as swf?) then find some way to play it with mplayer (convert it with ffmpeg?).

mikeb

#147 Post by mikeb »

The mp4 downloader on mozilla might want a newer browser...I have 3.6 and the latest it offers is 1.5.18 .. so attached is an older version which might work as is or can be updated via the addons dialog to 1.5.18

last cclive was a couple of years ago it seems and thats not new enough to work with current you tube config.

mike
Attachments
download_youtube-1.4.6.zip
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

mikeb

#148 Post by mikeb »

Ok sort of related info since we are generally dealing with downloading and playing you tube on older hardware..

Did some double checking...was running 4.12.... using the firefox (3.5) addon above downloaded a video. Indeed flv downloads much slower but still faster than needed for playback.

I played the flv and the mp4 using both vlc 0.8.6i and mplayer (~rc2..circa 2009) as they downloaded no problem. Machine is a pentium 3 but maxed out so plays this stuff easily but still jerky if using flash player. old machine, old software, old puppy.

Nv driver in use rather than the full nvidia one by the way.

mike

rokytnji

#149 Post by rokytnji »

Well, I'm gonna go with mini-tube instead I guess. I will be unstalling 3.0.9 in SlackO 5.6 for now.
Attachments
minitube.jpg
Zatoichi, my hero
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 935 times

mikeb

#150 Post by mikeb »

rokytnji ...looks neat.... was libphonon a problem at all.... the sources look straightforward otherwise....qt4.5+ / qmake stuff

mike

rokytnji

#151 Post by rokytnji »

was libphonon a problem at all..
It was the first error on startup for 1.8 mintube for dpup.

I'm still wrestling it.

my previous post was showing minitube wotking in my Carolina 1.1 install from Carolina package manager. It is a older version because on open I got a update message.

I was thinking of trying to get a .xz Slackware package installed of the version 2 but I might have spoken too soon of running minitube in SlackO.

I did not realize phonon was such a b____. :roll:

sindi

youtube downloader with player uses 1/4 cpu of firefox/flas

#152 Post by sindi »

I got an Opera flash downloader working once then the Download button disappeared. It offered rather nonstandard download resolutions (270p MP4, not 360p). Opera crashed.

Firefox 3 crashes on this D600 so I used Firefox 17 and the posted youtube downloader works well and offered 240p flv or 360p mp4. I told it to open the files with mplayer.

The flv downloads at 58Kb/sec. The mp4 at 310Kb/sec (It is less than twice the size).
So I could download a video in about 1/4 or 1/5 the time it takes to view it at 360p, but I cannot download it in reasonable time as a 240p flv.

Mplayer did not start while the files were downloading.

Firefox crashed.

I was able to kill -9 all the browser processes. I have 1GB RAM and used/killed one browser at a time.

Firefox/flash uses 60% of 1GB memory and 77% of 1.6GHz cpu power.
Mplayer uses 60% of the memory but only 5% of the cpu power, so I am hoping
it will play 360p MP4s on the 400Mhz computer (where it has to be X not -vo vesa or -vo fbdev).

A CLI downloader would still be helpful - cclive, movgrab, clipgrab.

sindi

mplayer -vo fbdev and fbdev2

#153 Post by sindi »

I can switch to a terminal and play the same mp4.
I am using framebuffer console and vga=791 (1024x768 resolution).
The 480x360 pixel mp4 plays in about 1/4 of the screen, with sound, using fbdev or fbdev2 instead of x11. fbdev2 lets me switch consoles and continue to play the video while running 'free'.

I could download a video using Firefox in X11, then exit X and play it with mplayer
and fbdev to save cpu.

17% of 1.6GHz is under 300Mhz so I should be able to view a 360p video with mplayer (and without X running) on a 300Mhz computer that supports framebuffer video. My two best candidates for MP4 players do not - 400MHz screen turns pink and blue if you try to start a terminal, and 900MHz DELL Inspiron 2500 does not do framebuffer at all.
X probably does not use a whole lot more cpu power than fbdev so I will try the 400Mhz Thinkpad 600e for playing a 360p video with mplayer after downloading with Firefox and the Youtube downloader and plan on waiting 10 min for the download before playinig a 40 min video. Not enough cpu power for Firefox and mplayer together.

Still looking for a CLI mp4 downloader so I can play an mp4 while it downloads.
Can anyone set up for compiling for 4.1.2 compile cclive, movgrab, or clipgrab?

rokytnji

#154 Post by rokytnji »

A CLI downloader would still be helpful - cclive, movgrab, clipgrab.
I guess youtube-dl I posted did not work n 4.12 also.

sindi

Standalone y outube-dl works perfectly in 4.1.2-based pulp03

#155 Post by sindi »

I posted the details in that topic discussion.
Can I pipe the output of the download to mplayer?
I don't see an mp4.temp like I got with a youtube-downloader plugin, that I could
play as it downloaded.

Just under 12 min ETA to download a 45 min video, or 4:1.
I can read a project gutenberg short story while waiting, and start another
download while watching one video.