How do I connect to Internet with Dial-Up(SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
Ted Dog

burn to MS

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

usr_devx.sfs can be burned

Code: Select all

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R /root/usr_devx.sfs
where /root/usr_devx.sfs is the full path, change to match your path
reboot [just like windows] :?

jcoder24

#17 Post by jcoder24 »

muffinhead wrote:what I need help with right Now, is Installing the hsfmodem, and the hcfmodem Drivers for Puppy Linux
Drivers and instructions for installing conexant modem drivers in puppy.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=13727#13727

The method used to determine if the modem is HSF/HCF and the PCI & Vendor IDs only works upto puppy 107. That determination would now have to be done manually. Instructions on the above mentioned page had been updated accordingly.

NB. These older free drivers only work with the 2.4 kernels. So far, no one has been able to compile these drivers under a 2.6 kernel.

This means that with the new puppy2, each user would have to download the current 14.4k crippled commercial version of the drivers and compile them under puppy. Since the license for the full feature drivers cost $20 US I would suggest saving a little bit more to get an external modem.

muffinhead

#18 Post by muffinhead »

Sorry to Bump this thread to the top again, but I am still having a problem Trying to get online in Puppy Linux. I know how to install the dotpups now, so that isn't the Problem.

My Problem is is that on Puppy 1.0.8r1, I installed the hsfmodem-1105.pup, and the hfsmodem.pup files, then I run hsfconfig, and heres what I can remember of the output I get:

this package does not contain pre-built module suitable for your system.

Distribution Unknown-Unknown.

you must recompile (or something similar)

/usr/src/linux

Wait recompiling files (or something like that)

Do you want us to configure your hardware automatically? No

Is the device currently Installed on your system: No

Please enter device ID: 14f0
Please Enter Vender ID: 2f20

Please enter your country: USA

Your Device is now accessible at: ttyHSF0, or /Dev/modem.

It says some other things, I cannot remember at the moment, but will edit my post when I check again or remember.

However, when I select an Inf File to use, and enter my Login, password, and Access Number for my ISP, and go to Dial, Everything freezes, and I have to reboot.

I can't use cnxtcfg, because it says no HCF/HSF Modem found, although my modem has a Conexant Chipset (See Previous Posts), and I believe it is HSF, or HCF.

I Have no Money right now to buy a Linux Compatable hardware modem, my best bet is to try to get this winmodem working, until I can get the money to buy myself a Linux compatable modem.

I Already did Cat /proc/pci, and posted the results in my previous post's, and I checked the Links you all posted, but it is still a little confusing, the dotpups are installed correctly, I'm not Sure if my Modem is HSF or HCF, I tried searching it on google, to no avail.

It is a 56PRC Riesling v.92 56k PCI fax/modem, and has a conexant chipset, device ID: 14f0, and vender ID: 2f20.

IF anyone could be of any more assitence I'd really appreciate it, as I need to use my winmodem until I can buy an external linux compatable hardware Modem.

Thanks a bunch if anyone could be of further assistence :wink:

muffinhead

#19 Post by muffinhead »

Sorry to bump this thread, I don't know what the stipulations are on this forum, but on most If your post has not been replied to in 24 hours or more, you are allowed to bump it, or the thead. Forgive me if I may be breaking one of the rules.

My results, and problem are posted above, My modem is an HSF Modem, I checked it with a detection utility myself, but when I type cnxtcfg, it says no HSF/HCF modem found. other Problems listed (see above post)

Thanks if you can help me. I Don't have a Job, or money to buy myself a Linux Compatable modem right now, so I am stuck trying to get my winmodem to work for now. I really want to use puppy for my Internet browsing activities, to cut down on the infestation known as malware/spyware/viruses somewhat.

Thanks a bunch :wink:

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

I fear you may be chasing your tail? I'm sure you have read the extensive discussions here and all those websites dedicated to the topic of Winmodems. Sometimes they just will not work in Linux; they weren't intended to. You have to be a very clever IT coder to defy the manufacturers' intentions and shortcomings; after all, these devices lack a significant number of vital hardware components and tie up your cpu cycles. As you will see from others, this issue can drive you crazy.
There is no such thing as a 'Linux compatible' modem. There are 'proper modems' and Winmodems. I am really sorry to learn of your pecuniary difficulties, but there may be alternative possibilities? Perhaps you can find a cheap s/h serial modem on eBay? Why not sell your internal Winmodem to an (unsuspecting?!) 'doze user to offset costs?! Advertise. Maybe a local enthusiast will sell you a spare for not-a-lot-of-dosh? Maybe you could save on some other household expenses for a brief period - painful, but the proper equipment will serve you well for a very long period. Maybe you can order a cheaper unit from an overseas supplier and have a friend forward it to you (I may be able to help on this one?). An external serial modem will work correctly on all computers (although you would need a USB-serial adapter on Apple); it is also portable and/or switchable between all the computers you own or will own. An old unit that has a long record of satisfactory service is likely to continue to do so (provided you fit a surge suppressor and watch out for the dreaded bulging capacitors{none of which have shown up in modems, yet}).
As you have read, not everyone here agrees with the advice Barry gives and that which I have received, but it is my view that Winmodems are a monstrosity that wastes everybody's valuable time and effort and gobbles up valuable space in a compact distro like Puppy.

muffinhead

#21 Post by muffinhead »

Thanks, I guess I maybe will try to pick up a serial Modem, or one that will work in Linux. I have to figure a way to come up with the money for it.

Btw, Is there External, or internal modems that will work with both windows and Linux, that are not winmodems?

I have Staples, an office supply store close by, Perhaps maybe they might sell a hardware modem that works in Linux and windows???

Stupid me, I Just bought an External 56k U.S. Robotics USB Dial-Up modem thinking it would be compatable with Linux, and it turns out it was another friggin' Winmodem.

I guess I'll make an last attempt and compile the Latest crippled 14k Drivers from Linuxent, or the ones someone posted in another thread.

If I Compile the drivers, How do I compile them into a dotpup pakage? Also which Drivers do I need to compile for Puppy from the Linuxent website? Thanks a bunch :wink:

muffinhead

I Finally got my internal winmodem to work!!!!

#22 Post by muffinhead »

I finally got my winmodem to work, and am online typing this message right now :) , All it took was downloading the hsfmodem7.43.00.01full.tar.gz that swear000 posted in another thread, compiling them, and I was on my way, with a little extra help from mark on these forums. This thread can be listed as solved now :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#23 Post by Lobster »

:) Very good news. You can go to the first thread and "edit" will allow you to change the tite and add (Solved)

For me this is the sense of us owning our OS and having some control of it. We are no longer at the hapless mercy of hardware and software companies but involved in the process. Linux users of the future will be the ultimate consumers. Do it the way we want or we go to those that do.

Puppy is our OS. It is my hardware. Work!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#24 Post by Sage »

That's really good news, muffin. Don't relax, however! Internal Winmodems aren't noted for their reliability nor do they always transfer well to new hardware, at least, not without renewed pain. You can't switch them off when someone is downloading malware without your permission and you don't have signalling lights to tell you what's going on.
Like I said, all external serial modems work with all flavours of Linux, all flavours of M$ware, and, with an adapter, all flavours of Apples (& probably pears? or blackberries?!). Probably you can even use them on Sun and Nascom, too.....
USB modems are special forms of Winmodem as you discovered (but I raised this in an earlier posting) and are best avoided.

Sage

#25 Post by Sage »

In answer to Lob., it would be necessary to remodel the components on the card to create a Linmodem to claim complete control. But, even then, you'd still have an hobbled piece of kit that consumes cpu cycles and has the potential to interfere with other HW as well as running processes. That is probably why 'proper' serial modems remain the only rational option. They are designed around all the proper and complete protocols for a universal modulating-demodulating device without reference to particular machines or their OS.