Connect to Internet with Nokia E71

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dalderton

Connect to Internet with Nokia E71

#1 Post by dalderton »

To connect to internet with E71 63 etc plug in the USB cable and select Nokia Suite from the first of the 4 options. This is the key to the operation as the other options do not work. Then go to the PupDial screen and probe for the modem. It may take a couple of tries but it should come up with /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyACM1 or similar. The init string should also appear and all that is needed to do is enter the Phone number maybe *99# or similar and the APN. Select stupid mode and it should hook up. I have tried this on an old Compaq laptop a slightly more modern Toshiba laptop and a middle aged PC and using both Wary and Lucid 5.2.8 004 so I would assume that any Puppy with an up to date version of PupDial should work.
All care but no responsibility

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Connect to Internet with Nokia E71

#2 Post by Flash »

dalderton wrote:To connect to internet with E71 63 etc plug in the USB cable and select Nokia Suite from the first of the 4 options.
Do these options just pop up when I plug in the USB cable or do I have to call them somehow?
This is the key to the operation as the other options do not work. Then go to the PupDial screen and probe for the modem.
How do I do that? Does the PupDial screen automatically pop up after I plug in the Nokia?

postfs1

#3 Post by postfs1 »

off-topic and nonsense: zaikO = заикО(ru)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Dalderton's been a forum member for a long time. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

stu90

#5 Post by stu90 »

I have been having problems with my land line internet lately so have been using mobile 3g internet through my nokia N95 mobile phone - Op setup worked for me i am on the (3)Three network in the UK:
Dial Number is: *99#
APN is: 3internet

dalderton

Re: Connect to Internet with Nokia E71

#6 Post by dalderton »

Flash wrote:
dalderton wrote:To connect to internet with E71 63 etc plug in the USB cable and select Nokia Suite from the first of the 4 options.
Do these options just pop up when I plug in the USB cable or do I have to call them somehow?
This is the key to the operation as the other options do not work. Then go to the PupDial screen and probe for the modem.
How do I do that? Does the PupDial screen automatically pop up after I plug in the Nokia?
When you plug the usb cable into the phone (or the computer depending on which you do first) the options come up on the phone screen. The first choice is PC Suite then Mass storage then Media transfer then Connect PC to web.(only works with Windoze) Highlight the first option and Select.

Go to the Connect Icon (usually on the main screen )and Internet Connect Dialup/Cable/DSL/Wired/Wireles to bring up PupDial . The program should then probe for the Modem and on my setup will come up with /dev/ttyACM0 or 1 etc. You may have to go through the process again if it does not come up first time of clicking on Choose then Probe and see what you get. The other thing that may help is to edit WVdial.conf and name the usb modem as /dev/ttyACM0.
I hope this helps. I am using Lucid 2.2.8 004
Regards Dennis.

vicmz

#7 Post by vicmz »