How to get Brother HL 1440 printer working?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
noname989

How to get Brother HL 1440 printer working?

#1 Post by noname989 »

Hello

I have a Brother HL 1440 laser printer and have it shared from a Windows XP computer. Is there a way to get this printer working under Puppy? I had no trouble getting it to work under Mepis (unlike my Lexmark). Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

tony

#2 Post by tony »

Hi,
check the Brother solutions website and see if there is a CUPS driver for your printer. If there is you can install CUPS (search forum for thread), download the driver and start from there.

My Brother HL-2070N has a CUPS wrapper driver which is written in Cshell which puppy doesn't have. The driver is Debian which had to be converted to pup. I got halfway through the process and stalled.

I wish you luck as getting printers to work in puppy is no easy job.

Regards Tony

pakt

Re: Brother HL 1440

#3 Post by pakt »

noname989 wrote:Hello
I have a Brother HL 1440 laser printer and have it shared from a Windows XP computer. Is there a way to get this printer working under Puppy?
On the Linuxprinting.org website you can download a PPD file for the HL-1440 to work with CUPS. The URL is: http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... er-HL-1440
On that page, right-click on 'download PPD' from your browser and save the .ppd file to your hard disk.

Now you will have to search the Puppy forum for rarsa's detailed thread on installing CUPS (and a .ppd file) in Puppy. That should start you off...

Give it a try :)

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

noname989

#4 Post by noname989 »

Thank you I'll try that.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#5 Post by Billwho? »

Here is a link that should take you to Rarsa's cups instuctions

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... light=cups

Good Luck
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.