I installed Puppy but still need the CD to boot

Booting, installing, newbie
krimmi83

I installed Puppy but still need the CD to boot

#1 Post by krimmi83 »

Hi,

I'll start by saying I followed the steps showed on the wiki and it all worked great, but I probably missed something because I can't seem to be able to start it without the CD, but when I look on the HDD, the files are there.

When I turn the computer on without the CD, I get a message telling me there's no OS to boot with. As soon as I put the CD in, it starts and when it's done, I can remove the CD no problem. But my fear is that it's probably not even using the files on the computer, but it's using the system on the ram.

I saw the profil file created when I first turned off the computer and I can't delete it (says it's in use) so at least, I think it's a good sign, but not good enough :p

Hope you guys can help. I'm used to windows but I'm almost linux virgin. I used redhat, debian, ubuntu, backtrack and KDE, but just the basic...

Thanks

max

sfeeley

#2 Post by sfeeley »

'll start by saying I followed the steps showed on the wiki
which one?
When I turn the computer on without the CD, I get a message telling me there's no OS to boot with.
It sounds like you did not install grub or another bootloader--which is normally part of the install process. You can either go through the process again, or try
menu --> system -- > grubbootloader. (and follow the instructions)
grub4dos is there too-- which can do the same thing, and which some people prefer.
I can remove the CD no problem. But my fear is that it's probably not even using the files on the computer, but it's using the system on the ram.

I saw the profil file created when I first turned off the computer and I can't delete it (says it's in use) so at least, I think it's a good sign, but not good enough :p
It sounds like you did a frugal install, but are using the CD to boot. (Which lets you skip all that stuff about grub which I mentioned before). This means its likely that the save file is on your harddisk, and maybe a few other files to speed up boot.
There's nothing wrong with it. Its what I've been doing for over a year, and in fact is recommended as one perfectly good option:
http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20 ... 0Puppy.htm

By the way, one of the great things about puppy is that no matter where you "install" it, it tries to put the files from ram and run from there--that's what makes it so fast.
(ok-- not absolutely always, but close)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

You will need a bootloader installed, to boot
with any install, you did to the computers hard drive.
By using the CD. It is doing what the bootloader does.

This info may help you in understanding ways to run and install Puppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)