[solved] missing windows buttons (firefox specific)

Booting, installing, newbie
AlexS

[solved] missing windows buttons (firefox specific)

#1 Post by AlexS »

I'm using puppy lucid 5.1, and I managed to somehow lose the windows manager decoration for firefox. This means no more minimize, maximise and close buttons too.

Also, and more annoyingly, I cant Alt-tab alternate with other applications.

All of this is specific to firefox (after I played around with the minimize, maximize, maximize-x and maximize-y contextual menu). All other applications are working normally, with the windows decorations and buttons at their due place, and alt-tab working flawlessly.

Closing and re-opening firefox does not solve this, and neither does rebooting the system.

How can I solve this, I have no clue where to look for, as I don't really know where are these application specific settings managed.
Last edited by AlexS on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

AlexS

#2 Post by AlexS »

I just found out that there is one more aspect in this weirdness: the download window of firefox has decorations and buttons. So it's really the browser itself which is impaired...

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Sounds like you may have set Firefox to full-screen/kiosk mode. With only the main Firefox window open, try hitting F11.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

AlexS

#4 Post by AlexS »

humm... the problem is that in my Dell mini 9, I don't have a F11 key...

But on the other hand, I do see the File, Edit, View menus, and bookmarks and navitation toolbart. With fullscreen I think these are minimized into a horizontal bar on the top of the window

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

The idea behind full-screen/kiosk mode is to remove most of those bars, for those who want to try to squeeze as much into their screens as possible - or for those who want to run the browser in a limited and unattended environment (such as a public kiosk where you don't want people messing with the menus, quitting or switching away from the browser).

That you still have the Menu bar is curious - are you sure you don't have any extensions installed that might be causing this?

Do you have a Fn+other key combination that might serve as F11?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

AlexS

#6 Post by AlexS »

Thanks for your tips Makoto, you were right all along.

By upgrading the BIOS I could gain F11 by pressing Fn + Z (thank you wikipedia for the tip), and this allowed me to come out of this warped full screen mode (first by becoming a real full screen mode, then by going out of it).

I suspect that greasemonkey is the culprit for this odd behavior, as it's the only add-on I installed so far.

My warmest gratitude, I was going slightly nuts with this nagging annoyance ;)

Makoto

#7 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... I don't think Greasemonkey should have caused that, either, though. :) Do you have any user scripts installed in it?

AlexS

#8 Post by AlexS »

Not really, although since then I installed Adblock and a couple of dictionaries.

Other than that, I did not modify the firefox.

Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

Maybe it just happened by accident, then. :) (You might have accidentally picked the mode from the menus without realizing it or intending it, for example.)

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Makoto do you any idea how one change this feature me have same problem. It happens every time firefox start so seems not puppy related.

about:config or something could that change this behavior?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Ah I found a solution but only a description for Windows.

Test to go here

read this
Firefox window is too large or opens off screen

If Firefox windows open off screen or are too large to use, you may need to reset Firefox's controls and toolbars.
and they show a pic on how to do such.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Fir ... off+screen

I tested their way of doing it and it works in linux too.

Shut down FF

go to rxvt console terminal

and write

firefox -safe-mode

and then check the box for reset Firefox's controls and toolbars

and do restart and it looks like you want it.

Have no idea if it get remembered but it is easy to do this again in case it get reset each shut down.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Makoto

#12 Post by Makoto »

The changes you make in Firefox's Safe Mode should be saved, but I do recommend only using Safe Mode if you're absolutely sure what you're doing.

What AlexS suggested in the other topic was to make sure you exit full-screen/kiosk mode, then if you don't see the window minimize/maximize/close buttons, you can drag the window around until you do, and click on the Maximize button to fit the window to your screen.

Alternately, you can right-click on the name of the window in your taskbar and select Maximize. Just make sure you're out of full-screen mode, first.

bones01

#13 Post by bones01 »

nooby wrote:Ah I found a solution but only a description for Windows.

I tested their way of doing it and it works in linux too.
Thanks Nooby. I was referred to your comments, and it saved me. I know this is old, but it worked beautifully for me.

Bones.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB