slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

#571 Post by Sylvander »

kevin bowers wrote:Did you check the md5?
Yes, and it was OK.

kevin bowers wrote:I had no problems mount/unmounting the ISO in Rox, it's on a FAT32 filesystem if that matters.
It won't mount using ROX either.
The ISO file is in a folder on an NTFS filesystem.

kevin bowers wrote:Don't know about updating the savefile
I can choose to manually copy or save the changes made during the session [back to the pupsave file], either during the session or at shutdown/reboot, or not at all.

kevin bowers wrote:doesn't Slacko use a Slackosave.xxx where LuPu uses a lupusave?
Correct.
In this case I'd be using a different version of Slacko to the original version of Slacko.
The personal save file is named slackosave.3fs, but can it be used for 2 [fundamentally?] different Slacko versions?

kevin bowers

#572 Post by kevin bowers »

OscarTalks wrote:
gerry wrote:Oscar- there must be a simpler way!

I downloaded.

I unpacked (in /tmp).

Where does the renaming come in?

And do I have to go through /usr/lib/seamonkey/ and check each file against the unpacked one, and replace the old by the new one if they are different?
What I have done is actually very simple. In fact the only renaming I did was as a precaution. I renamed (rather than deleting) the existing seamonkey directory in /usr/lib (which is the old version) to seemonkeyold in case there was any problem and I needed to restore back (which I didn't - it has worked OK on 2 machines running Slacko 5.3.3 so I have now deleted).

The downloaded tarball unpacks as a single directory named seamonkey (so does not need renaming). This can be done anywhere. After the rename just move the new directory into /usr/lib so it replaces the renamed one. No need to do anything with the files inside it.

I guess you could say all you need to do is download (to /mnt/home or /root), delete (seamonkey folder from /usr/lib), unpack (to /usr/lib).

You will find that features such as automatic and manual updates and the crash reporter are now included. Profile information such as bookmarks and settings are not lost because they are stored elsewhere.
Downloaded from where?

kevin bowers

#573 Post by kevin bowers »

Sylvander wrote: The ISO file is in a folder on an NTFS filesystem.
It's a long shot, but try copying the .iso to a FAT32 or ext(x) filesystem? Sometimes NTFS and Puppy (well, all Linux) don't get along.

Sylvander

#574 Post by Sylvander »

kevin bowers wrote:try copying the .iso to a FAT32 or ext(x) filesystem? Sometimes NTFS and Puppy (well, all Linux) don't get along.
Here's the thing...
Every other time previous to this failure to mount the ISO...
When I was normally able to mount various ISO files with no problem...
ALL such ISO files are on this very same partition that uses an NTFS filesystem.
So it would seem that Puppy has had no problem with this NTFS filesystem.

gerry

#575 Post by gerry »

Kevin- I Googled "Seamonkey", top hit was the Seamonkey site, clicked on "Download", .........

EDIT: Chose "save" rather than "Run". It downloaded the file into the /tmp directory.

Gerry

OscarTalks

#576 Post by OscarTalks »

kevin bowers wrote:Downloaded from where?
Seamonkey download page is here:-
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases

You can even select a language option from the list of Linux versions down the right-hand side of the page.
Oscar in England

tlchost

LibreOffice for Slacko

#577 Post by tlchost »

Appears that LibreOffice 3.60 is avialable. Wondering if it can be made available in the repository?

Thanks

Thom

bigpup

Re: LibreOffice for Slacko

#578 Post by bigpup »

tlchost wrote:Appears that LibreOffice 3.60 is avialable. Wondering if it can be made available in the repository?

Thanks

Thom
LibreOffice downloader
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918
Do not be concerned about the beta quality tag.
01micko states he will keep it that way because of future adjustments that may be needed to program.
Latest version of LibreOffice downloader
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#643235
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tlchost

#579 Post by tlchost »

bigpup wrote: LibreOffice downloader
Thanks anyway...but I have a bootable usb system, so that application is not an option.

Thom

shinobar

#580 Post by shinobar »

bigpup wrote:LibreOffice downloader
tlchost wrote:Thanks anyway...but I have a bootable usb system, so that application is not an option.
The latest version bigpup pointed, get_libreoffice-0.18-3 allows usb installed system.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#643235
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

tlchost

#581 Post by tlchost »

[quote="shinobar"
The latest version bigpup pointed, get_libreoffice-0.18-3 allows usb installed system. [/quote]

Yep...created the sfs...which doesn't work at all

Thanks anyway

01micko

#582 Post by 01micko »

The reason I disallowed usb in the original version is for 2 reasons.
1) slow media and can cause errors
2) most usb installs are on FAT partitions, symlinks are unsupported with FAT so the build fails.

I'll make an sfs soon.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

kevin bowers

#583 Post by kevin bowers »

What I have done is actually very simple. In fact the only renaming I did was as a precaution. I renamed (rather than deleting) the existing seamonkey directory in /usr/lib (which is the old version) to seemonkeyold in case there was any problem and I needed to restore back (which I didn't - it has worked OK on 2 machines running Slacko 5.3.3 so I have now deleted).

The downloaded tarball unpacks as a single directory named seamonkey (so does not need renaming). This can be done anywhere. After the rename just move the new directory into /usr/lib so it replaces the renamed one. No need to do anything with the files inside it.

I guess you could say all you need to do is download (to /mnt/home or /root), delete (seamonkey folder from /usr/lib), unpack (to /usr/lib).

You will find that features such as automatic and manual updates and the crash reporter are now included. Profile information such as bookmarks and settings are not lost because they are stored elsewhere.
Downloaded from http://download.mozilla.org/?product=se ... lang=en-US, installed as above, worked like a champ. The lady of the house is no longer bothered by the red nag banner!

tlchost

#584 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:The reason I disallowed usb in the original version is for 2 reasons.
1) slow media and can cause errors
2) most usb installs are on FAT partitions, symlinks are unsupported with FAT so the build fails.
that could explain a lot
I'll make an sfs soon.
Thanks....I would greatly appreciate that.

Thom

Laie

#585 Post by Laie »

I installed Slacko on a SD-card but my computer stops booting with the following prompt:
puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs not found
Computer: Shuttle barebone XS35V2 (Atom D525 2x1,8 GHz, 4 GB RAM), no HDD
Somwhere in the forum I read about a bug that booting from a USB medium with no HDD built in would not work. Does it affect slacko, too?

01micko

#586 Post by 01micko »

Here you go Thom, and anyone else wanting to use Libreoffice-3.6.0

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/sfs_xz/ ... _en-US.sfs 125 M xz compressed. The xz compression will only work in Slacko (not k2.6.37.6), Racy, Dpup-Exprimo and Precise.

checksum-md5<-- 8d12769d7d71e503133f664979515b45 LibreOffice-3.6.0_en-US.sfs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somwhere in the forum I read about a bug that booting from a USB medium with no HDD built in would not work. Does it affect slacko, too?
No, it doesn't affect Slacko. There could be a number of reasons it is failing including the quality of the SD card. If you search there are work-arounds such as pointing the boot loader directly to the main sfs. You could also try a different filesystem on the SD card. Most use FAT but you may have success with ext2.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Volhout

Seamonkey 211

#587 Post by Volhout »

kevin bowers wrote:

Downloaded from http://download.mozilla.org/?product=se ... lang=en-US, installed as above, worked like a champ. The lady of the house is no longer bothered by the red nag banner!
Works like a charm. Thanks !!

tlchost

#588 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:Here you go Thom, and anyone else wanting to use Libreoffice-3.6.0
01micko--thanks .....really appreciate it.

Thom

drblock2

Standalone Seamonkey and Opera

#589 Post by drblock2 »

I use several puppies in parallel so I prefer program directories. I followed directions above to download and extract the seamonkey tarball to a directory in /mnt/home (some other location outside the pupsave file would have done equally well).

Then used rox to drag the seamonkey executable seamonkey to the desktop. The associated icon is in /mnt/home/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png (assuming, of course, that you have unpacked seamonkey into /mnt/home.

The configuration files are in /root/.mozilla. This directory should also be moved outside the reach of the pupsave file and symlinked back to /root/.mozilla. I have yet to try this, but it should work. This also might be a way of coordinating the settings between Seamonkeys that come as standard operating equipment with many puplets.

Mostly, I use Opera, which can also be installed as a stand-alone application in this way. The configuration files are contained in the
/mnt/home/operaxxx/profile directory so every puplet gets the same information without setting up symbolic links.

The stand-alone program directory also works fine with libreoffice.

So now we have three solutions: pets for individual pupplets, sfs-files for multiple pupplets (with load on the fly option) and program directories for completely self-contained applications. Vive la difference!

Laie

sd card won't boot

#590 Post by Laie »

01micko wrote:... There could be a number of reasons it is failing including the quality of the SD card. If you search there are work-arounds such as pointing the boot loader directly to the main sfs. You could also try a different filesystem on the SD card. Most use FAT but you may have success with ext2.
Thank you for your answer!

The SD card ist new and in good order. It is formatted to ext2.
The sd card contains the files
initrd.gz, ldlinux.sys, puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs, syslinux.cfg and vmlinuz.
the syslinux.cfg contains one line:

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
The last two lines on the screen are:
Loading drives needed to access disk drives.
searching for Puppy files ......puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
#

What have I to add to point the boot loader directly to the main sfs?