Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 04:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
slacko 5.3.3, final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 42 [626 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 40, 41, 42 Next
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 08:39    Post subject:  

Same here oldyeller... I did basically as catdude ( only I used "xwin icewm-session" which worked for me - I wonder why the difference? ) and haven't had one iota of a problem from 5.3.1 up to 5.3.3. It's worked flawlessly across the board.

Like catdude asks, so do I: Could you be a wee bit more specific in just how IceWM isn't working correctly for you? Then perhaps someone here could better assist you with your problem.

Thank you!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 08:45    Post subject: Switching to Icewm --might want to install a wmswitcher  

Hi oldyeller,

I haven't tried using icewm myself in Slacko. But when I installed openbox I found it convenient to also install a window manager switcher. [Trying to remember whether, after exiting X, to type "xwin xxx"? or "start xwin xxx --sessions"? or something else, and how to recover when I screwed up was just painful]. There's a slacko wmswitcher pet at ibiblio, http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko/ perhaps eslewhere.

mikeLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 09:40    Post subject: Is a Swap-file on a USB-Key of any real value?  

Hi Jasper and anyone else:

This might not be the proper thread to discuss it, but as the use of a swap file on a USB-Key came up, there's something that's been bothering me and I thought perhaps someone could clarify it. I'm not sure that a swap file on a usb-key has any value. If I understand things correctly, it might actually just waste storage space. I reach that conclusion based on the following assumptions. Please correct any which are in error. Note in particular the one I've bolded, of which I'm least certain:

(1) A swap-file is not Random Access Memory (RAM). It is, rather, a dedicated (restructured?) portion of “storage space” be that space on a hard-drive or Flash-memory on a USB-Drive.
(2) An operating system able to take advantage of a swap-file reserves a portion of RAM and contains instructions such that when an application would otherwise write to that portion, what would be written to that portion is written to the Hard-drive/USB-Flash storage, and later read from that Hard-drive/USB-Flash storage. Consequently, when a swap-file is employed less RAM is actually available for use by the programs one desire to run.
(3) Actually changes in content, however, only take place in RAM. So, for example, if you are using Libre-Office, part of which has been written to the Swap-file, and you type the letter “A”, the part of the document to which the letter “A” is to be written if it is in the Swap-file, will be read from the Swap-file into RAM, the letter “A” added and the revised part will then be written back to the swap-file.
(4) The loss of usable RAM is usually more than compensated for by the facts that a swap-file enables the loading of a program or simultaneously more than one program when doing so would exceed the RAM available to run that (those) programs; and when the swap-file is on a Hard-drive writing-to or reading-from the Hard-drive is relatively fast, at least in comparison to reading-from or writing-to a USB-Key.
(5) Puppys are designed to run entirely in RAM and both its operating system and the applications designed for it utilize little RAM compared with Windows, or the Big-Bloated Linux distributions. Consequently, with the same amount of RAM available to them, more or larger programs can be opened in Puppy and run entirely in the available RAM than in Windows or Big-Bloated Linuxes.
(6) Even if a Swap-file is available, Puppies will not utilize it unless the RAM requirements of opened programs would exceed the available RAM.
(7) In the absence of a Swap-file, when you open a pet in or load an SFS into Puppy, if there is insufficient available RAM, Puppy will load as much of the application as it can, leaving sufficient RAM to work with it, albeit slowly, writing to and reading from a temporary file (in the SaveFile).
(Cool In short, with Puppy and its SaveFile on a USB-Key, in the absence of a Swapfile, Puppy will use the storage provided by the SaveFile to write to and read from when there is insufficient available RAM, while if a Swap-file is available on the USB-Key, it will use the storage on the USB-Key provided by the Swap-file. In both instances, it is just storage on the USB-Key which is being used. The difference is that if you've created a Swap-file on a USB-Key, you may never have to use it and have merely reduced the available available space for storing files outside of the SaveFile. On the other hand, if you find, in practice, that your usage demand exceed the size of your SaveFile, you can always just resize the SaveFile.

mikesLr
oldyeller

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:02    Post subject:  

Hi Everyone,

This pic shows what I am having problems with. Every time I go and change things using the config gui and restart icewm nothing happens. It all goes back to be checked again and no changes.

Thanks
oldyeller
icewn-config.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   57.52 KB
 Viewed   1728 Time(s)

icewn-config.jpg

CatDude

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 14:02    Post subject:  

Hello oldyeller

oldyeller wrote:
....This pic shows what I am having problems with.

Embarassed I had forgotten all about that Icewm Configuration Embarassed

Check out this post
Install the rpl-1.4.1-i486.pet and everything should be good to go.

CatDude

oldyeller

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 16:04    Post subject:  

Hi CatDude,

That pet workd great thanks

oldyeller
CatDude

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012, 05:19    Post subject:  

Hi

oldyeller wrote:
..That pet workd great thanks

You're welcome mate.

Attached below is one i compiled in Slacko-533 (non-PAE)

CatDude
rpl-1.4.1-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  rpl-1.4.1-i486.pet 
Filesize  11.97 KB 
Downloaded  238 Time(s) 

01micko

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012, 07:23    Post subject:  

Thanks CatDude,

I have already uploaded to ibiblio your rpl pet. I updated the packagelist too so if you update PPM and download icewm, rpl will be dragged in as a depend automatically (i just tested it, works Wink ). Will take a day or so to filter to all repos.

Cheers

dalderton

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012, 07:34    Post subject: No Flash  

Cant get Flash to work with seamonkey or Opera 11.64. It is there in the /usr/lib/Mozilla/plugins but I cannot get YouTube to work on either browser. The same setup on Lucid works fine .I have uninstalled and reinstalled flash a couple of times with no success. Strangely I do not get the popup advising that I need FLash . Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards Dennis.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012, 17:16    Post subject:  

Try getting flash with this program:
Install this program
Getflash
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491
(make sure to download the newest version)
After installing Getflash.
Run from menu->Internet->Getflash install flash player
This program will find the latest version of Flash Player and install.

dalderton

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012, 23:54    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Try getting flash with this program:
Install this program
Getflash
(make sure to download the newest version)
After installing Getflash.
Run from menu->Internet->Getflash install flash player
This program will find the latest version of Flash Player and install.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried the above but for some reason it did not work. I finished up getting 10.3.183.18 as the older version on the Slacko "Get Flash" on the menu. It seemed that on my old Athlon box it wanted seniority not currency. Anyway all is well and thanks again for the inspiration.
Regards Dennis.
I have done some more research and find that there was a problem with flashplayer with Slackware stuff and some others and the above version is a patched version to overcome it. It may be a good idea to put in the release notes or somewhere (if that has not been done) that the earlier should be tried if the newer one on the Flashget popup does not work.
I suppose that I should have done that anyway but that is life in the world of the "Pup" Dennis.
shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 03:39    Post subject: getflash-1.1  

GetFlash install Flashplayer UPDATE: v1.1

sszindian

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 09:24    Post subject: xscreensaver  

GLslideshow from the PPM (Slackware repo I believe) works very nice in Slacko... Every one of the screensavers works 'except' those that have to display graphics or pictures... GLslideshow, Slideshow, Carousel.

Can someone give a reason or better yet a 'fix' for these particular screensaver displays???

So far, this is about the only function that fails to work properly in all of Slacko... very very nice job there 01micko!!!!

>>>---Indian------>

Tman

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2012, 17:25    Post subject:
Subject description: apps for slacko

Hi Slackers Wink ,
I have compiled Artha, LXTerminal and some developer apps for Slacko.
The download link is -> here <-

Artha is an offline thesaurus + dictionary, using Wordnet as the base.
-

Last edited by Tman on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 17:20; edited 1 time in total
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012, 13:21    Post subject:  

I've found a problem with Slacko, unfortunately.

About every month I back up all my files onto a DVD-R so that if my hard drive fails, I don't lose any important database files, documents, spreadsheets, images, music files etc. This means that once I've created a backup DVD, I have to be able to mount it in order to access the files I've stored there.

Slacko won't mount my backup DVD as it would a hard drive partition but insists instead on trying to play it as a video / music DVD, so I can't use it to access my data files etc. (Polarpup, on the other hand, does get it right so I know it can be done).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

CP .

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Page 34 of 42 [626 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 40, 41, 42 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: