#288 Post by cthisbear »

01micko:

Sorry to report Broadcom still not working on the
Dell Studio XPS.

Shows up....won't load.
Also tried Frisbee.

Screen OK....1280 x 800

Sound works on boot.

Oh! yeah......10 out of 10 for the wallpaper.

Makes you want to get back to Win mate.

Saluki 019 finally works >> Broadcom.
Squeeze from pemasu also works.

Thanks mate....Chris.

01micko

#289 Post by 01micko »

Chris..

No pointy/clicky stuff required...

in a console (you know, that plain smokey white rectangle box where you can type stuff, has a "#" in the top left corner..) type the following.

Code: Select all

lspci -nn > chris_report
then

dmesg >> chris_report
..then

gzip chris_report
In your root folder you'll find a file chris_report.gz .. when you find it post it as an attachment to the forum, it is forum ready with the .gz extension. (see the "Add Attachment" button, opens a file browser.. I can't recall if you've ever actually added an attachment before! Hence the quick run down :wink: )

Cheers, happy typing :)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

#290 Post by Jades »

gcmartin wrote:
01Micko wrote:As for flashplayer, I disabled the auto download, there is a menu entry. Do folks want the auto download back?
I thought this a good feature when it was present.
It was. The problem, which James C mentioned above, is that the more recent versions released by Adobe have removed support for running on older CPUs. On affected machines, the symptoms can be quite nasty and difficult to diagnose. Once the incompatible player is installed, you can visit a website with Flash on and the browser will immediately crash to the desktop with no errors at all unless you happened to have loaded the console first (in that case it will say "Illegal Instruction.")

A somewhat larger number of users than before are now in the odd position I've been in before with my K6-2 500. Puppy will boot but a particular program won't run. A possible compromise would be to add a warning on the window for automatic downloading that users of machines with CPUs older than Pentium IV should hit cancel and find an alternative.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

shinobar

nvidia-glx-sdl-295.40-slacko.sfs

#291 Post by shinobar »

Try nvidia-glx-sdl-295.40-slacko.sfs
for slacko with kernel 2.6.37.6, 2.6.39.4, 3.1.10-slacko_4gA, or 3.1.10-slacko_paeA.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/

Load, then do not run the nVidia Settings at this point of time, just exit the sfs_load, and run xorgwizard or reboot PC following message.
Slacko 5.3.1 may need not reboot PC.
Slacko 5.3.3 beta may need to reboot PC before xorgwizard.

Feed back welcome:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 305#622305
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Jim1911

Re: nvidia-glx-sdl-295.40-slacko.sfs

#292 Post by Jim1911 »

shinobar wrote:Try nvidia-glx-sdl-295.40-slacko.sfs
for slacko with kernel 2.6.37.6, 2.6.39.4, 3.1.10-slacko_4gA, or 3.1.10-slacko_paeA.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/

Load, then do not run the nVidia Settings at this point of time, just exit the sfs_load, and run xorgwizard or reboot PC following message.
Slacko 5.3.1 may need not reboot PC.
Slacko 5.3.3 beta may need to reboot PC before xorgwizard.

Feed back welcome:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 305#622305
Works good with my hardware. Thank you.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(36.87 KiB) Downloaded 890 times

zekebaby

Re: psaveconfig-2.2.1

#293 Post by zekebaby »

shinobar wrote:Released pupsaveconfig-2.2.1.pet http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/
# v2.2.1 23apr12: fix was failed partition number >= 10, dialog shows all options, no choice under MINIMB
Thanks for the quick fix, but unfortunately, the fix does not work for me. I installed the updated PET and got the new 2.2.1 GUI. I accepted the default "boot/slacko" location for the savefile in /dev/sda1 and the file still ended up in /dev/sda1/bootslacko. I don't think this is related to the 10 partition limit as I only have 1 defined.

Also, a purely cosmetic bug is that when you select EXT2 on the right hand side of the dialog, the left side still says .4fs (you'd have to do a full redraw if a different FS type is selected)

zekebaby

#294 Post by zekebaby »

cthisbear wrote:01micko:

Sorry to report Broadcom still not working on the Dell Studio XPS.
Broadcom works fine here on a Dell D430 using the b43 driver. lspci -nn reports

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)

shinobar

Re: Save file ends up in wrong dir

#295 Post by shinobar »

zekebaby wrote:FThe only real problem I found was that the save file ended up in the wrong directory. I boot with

kernel /boot/slacko/vmlinuz psubdir=/boot/slacko pmedia=atahd
and the save file ended up in a newly created directory "/bootslacko' instead of '/boot/slacko'.
Sorry, i have not read carefully.
Well... pupsaveconfig does not support deeper directories. it allows only one depth from the root of the partition. Suppose grub4dosconfig too.

I know recent woof finds savefile from maybe 2 step deep, but my tools not. I am not sure i am going to support further.

EDIT:
I tested Wary-5.3.3 cd, and found it fails with the save file at 2 step deep directory, sda2/puppy/wary/warysave.2fs. I guess the save file at deeper directories is still experimental even in woof.
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

zekebaby

#296 Post by zekebaby »

shinobar wrote:
zekebaby wrote:FThe only real problem I found was that the save file ended up in the wrong directory. I boot with

kernel /boot/slacko/vmlinuz psubdir=/boot/slacko pmedia=atahd
and the save file ended up in a newly created directory "/bootslacko' instead of '/boot/slacko'.
Sorry, i have not read carefully.
Well... pupsaveconfig does not support deeper directories. it allows only one depth from the root of the partition. Suppose grub4dosconfig too.

I know recent woof finds savefile from maybe 2 step deep, but my tools not. I am not sure i am going to support further.
If you comment out line 1725 in your pupsaveconfig 2.2.1, the problem goes away.

###FOLDER=$(echo $FOLDER|tr -d '/')
Try it - I just tested it and it seems to work fine.

shinobar

#297 Post by shinobar »

zekebaby wrote:

The issue is not simple. I am not sure if it is safe to allow deeper directories. See EDIT on my previous post.

zekebaby

#298 Post by zekebaby »

shinobar wrote:
zekebaby wrote:

The issue is not simple. I am not sure if it is safe to allow deeper directories. See EDIT on my previous post.
The limitation may be due to the Puppy installer scripts.

Two level subdirs work fine using a manual frugal install (i.e. manually copying initrd, vmlinux and sfs). I always locate my puppies in /dev/sda1/boot and have never had a problem. I currently have precise 5.3.3.1, racy 5.3, wary 5.3 and now your slacko beta all in their own subdir under /dev/sda1/boot.

You're a lot closer to getting multi-level subdirs working than you think! Doing the mod above will get you one step closer. Since the goal of line 1725 is to lop off leading and trailing slashes, a safer zero side-effect alternative is to replace line 1725 with:

FOLDER=$(echo $FOLDER | sed -e 's,^/,,' -e 's,/$,,')

bigpup

#299 Post by bigpup »

Maybe this has something to do with what is happening.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01922
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

#300 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:tested Wary-5.3.3 cd, and found it fails with the save file at 2 step deep directory, sda2/puppy/wary/warysave.2fs.
Once Barry introduced deeper search in Sep 2010 but abandoned maybe one year later.
in the init script Barry wrote:#100914 fallback, search depth 3 -- sub-sub-folders. improve psubdir search.
Anyway, what is the general rule:
in the shutdownconfig Barry wrote:'/' means top-level of partition.
You are only allowed to save one-deep, for example: '/puppy300'.
But there is is an exception:
zekebaby wrote:Two level subdirs work fine using a manual frugal install (i.e. manually copying initrd, vmlinux and sfs). I always locate my puppies in /dev/sda1/boot and have never had a problem. I currently have precise 5.3.3.1, racy 5.3, wary 5.3 and now your slacko beta all in their own subdir under /dev/sda1/boot.
Right, if you specify the 'psubdir'. There is a room to improve the pupsaveconfig for this case. But do not expect in short term.

Tnx bigpup, yes, it is too complex. :wink:

B.K. Johnson

nitpicks

#301 Post by B.K. Johnson »

01Micko

Thank u for the link to the pets to update seamonkey and firefox and the warning that mozilla autoupdate hasn't worked in puppy.
As said before, I am up to date with both browsers so testing will be much later.

BK

ETP

Testing 5.3.2.8

#302 Post by ETP »

01micko

First tested with JWM & then ICEWM which I can confirm is now working again. Detailed below are the pets & SFS tested.
TODO
compile fglrx
update libreoffice sfs and add pet
add any other suggestions?
With regard to suggestions I would recommend the inclusion of the fontwizard pet as it dramatically improves clarity on an LCD screen. I install it on all my pups and note that Saluki now includes a similar hinting utility. Roxterm & tickr may also be possible candidates.

On a couple of shutdowns I have not been presented with the save/no save option – just a black screen & no led activity on the flash drive followed by power off. This has never happened to me with 5.3.2.7.

Finally the obligatory screenshot.
Link to full size image:
http://postimage.org/image/slthcgnnr/
  • SFS's loaded
    /mnt/dev_save/p5328/avplayersj2-slacko-i686.sfs
    Pets loaded
    faenza_lrx_new|no description provided
    Blue-Tripack|JWM themes
    PupControl-2.0|PupControl panel
    PupSnap-1.6.3_Scrot-0.8_32Bit|PupSnap screen capture
    PupClockset-1.6.3|PupClockset manager
    Pup-SysInfo-2.0|Pup-SysInfo system information
    fontwizard|Configure fonts for LCD
    chromium-18.0.996.0-slacko|Browse the Web
    nvidia-295.20-k3.1.10-slacko_4gA-s|Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
    wmswitcher-0.18|WM Switcher Switch windowmanagers
    icewm-1.3.7-i686-s|Icewm Configuration Change Icewm Settings
    PupShutdown-1.8|PupShutdown manager
    tickr-0.6.0-i486|GTK-based highly graphically-customizable Feed Ticker
    flashplayer-11|Adobe flashplayer plugin
    smplayer-0.6.9-i686|A great MPlayer front-end
    lm_sensors-3.1.2|sensorsfor cpu, motherboard, fan
    tempicon-0.06|monitors CPU temperature with tray icon
    conky-1.8.1-i486|lightweight desktop widgets
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

01micko

#303 Post by 01micko »

Special beta 3 and a half..

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko/slacko5.3.2.8.5/

.. iso and checksum in that folder, sorry, no PAE ver, I'll do a full beta, maybe RC on the WE.

Iso has grown 2M because seamonkey have upgraded their lib requirements of cairo and libvpx :cry: .. (updated to 2.9)

I was hoping to get a full beta out today but I have ran out of time, I had this very strange woof issue which forced me to redownload pristine woof, cost me some hours :roll:

Also, I have reverted from shino's pupsaveconfig to Barry's shutdownconfig (the ugly yellow one, may alter that) patched for ext4 savefiles.. I tested with heavy encryption too, works fine.

ETP, great about icewm, looks nice. I'll get together all the conky stuff and make a special pet I think. I'll look into shutdown issues too. Is the drive showing corruption or loss of data? TIA

CTHISBEAR.. I need some files off you mate, see previous pages..

gcmartin.. I have an idea to address your hostname issue. You are aware that when you see the connect screen after all the other startup stuffs you get the "congratulations, you are already connected" message, well, I can detct if you changed hostname at that stage and restart the network, should update the routing table in the router/dhcp server.

_______

The push is on guys... I want 533 out the door by May 7. The base is pretty stable, if we can fix a few niggles (shutdown, cthisbear's wireless) then the rest is polish. It will be feature freeze as of the next beta/RC.

I'm getting to the pointy end of my college course (yep only a six month course, then job killing time :wink: ) and the work load will increase in about 2 weeks, hence it's May 7 or July 4!!! The kernel is already getting "old".

Thanks to all and we're almost there.

Cheers.

[who wants to first to post a comment.. see sig VVVVVVV]
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

slacko 5.3.3, beta3

#304 Post by Billtoo »

Running from live dvd with save file on usb flash drive.

Wed 25 Apr 2012 Operating System:Slacko Puppy-5.3.2.8.5 Linux3.1.10-slacko_4gA
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200] (rev a2)
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98[GeForce 9300 GE](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP77 Board - mcp78pvo Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9200/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.40

Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
Core 0: 2499 1: 2499 MHz

# glxgears
7196 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1439.089 FPS
7237 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1447.227 FPS
7209 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1441.781 FPS

04:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2860

Working fine so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(22.92 KiB) Downloaded 1408 times

zekebaby

#305 Post by zekebaby »

shinobar wrote:There is a room to improve the pupsaveconfig for this case. But do not expect in short term.
If you don't want to alter the functionality right now, then at least issue a warning dialog to the user before blindly removing all slashes. One of the principal jobs of a good GUI is to validate input, but the way it is now, adding a slash like 'boot/slacko' causes an unwanted side effect.

Respectfully, (and only related to the deeper subdir functionality), your pupsaveconfig is a step backwards from Barry's legacy code in that Barry's WILL automatically allow a savefile to go into a deeper directory if PSUBDIR is specified and yours will not. Please reconsider adding my one line fix.