slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#241 Post by bigpup »

I seem to remember something about the CD/DVD tray opening had to do with making sure, a new user, would remove the Puppy live CD after installing Puppy.
When they did the reboot, trying to use the newly installed Puppy, they would not have the live CD in place and end up booting the live CD instead of the Puppy install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

ANOUNCE: updated pupsaveconfig-2.2

#242 Post by shinobar »

Long persistent bug of pupsaveconfig.
Was failed with the bootfash comboformat install. Thanks to Ghost Dog who reported this.

Code: Select all

# v2.2 8apr12: fix was failed with no space partition(tnx to Ghost Dog), fix was failed with SAVEMARK, fix was failed mmc card, default partition and folder, exit 0 (thanks to don)
# v2.2 10apr12: sync with woof 20409, kill acpid (rc.shutdown)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 719#618719
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Jades

#243 Post by Jades »

bigpup wrote:I seem to remember something about the CD/DVD tray opening had to do with making sure, a new user, would remove the Puppy live CD after installing Puppy.
Now you mention it I have an odd memory that, on one of the Puppies I've tested on the K6, Universal Installer ejected the disc when finished. Might have been Wary. Will check when I get my new PSU.
bigpup wrote:When they did the reboot, trying to use the newly installed Puppy, they would not have the live CD in place and end up booting the live CD instead of the Puppy install.
While it is a good idea for Frugals or Fulls, it's a little inconvenient for Live CD installs. Yes, the one year old HDD in the Pentium D machine decided that the middle of a global shortage was the ideal time to die! :x
Last edited by Jades on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#244 Post by Jades »

Replacement power supply for K6 machine ordered. Hopefully I don't blow the damned thing up!

Sage

#245 Post by Sage »

Replacement power supply
It is often possible to repair PSU s. Ignore the dire warnings on the box if you haven't used it for 24hrs, or dunk it in water and dry it in the sun!
First, look at the internal fuse. Usually you need a F(ast)5A, but it's inscribed, so check. About 10-20% of faults can be cleared by changing the fuse. Next look to see if the input surge circuits have blown - it will be obvious! Then check the bridge rectifier (out of circuit).
At some stage look for 'badcaps(.org)' - bulges, stains or burns on all the electrolytics. Sometimes just replacing these will clear faults (about 20%). If the control circuitry is U/S it's too tedious to bother, but if it's the input conditioning stuff check the input thyristor/SCR/ w.h.y. - a simple static continuity test with a five quid meter will show a short. If this is dud, you have a choice - replacements can be had from eg RS/CPC/etc for about £3-5. It's a risk! Be sure to check the R-C-Diode components in the emitter, too; when the big guy blows it usually takes these with it.
Great opportunity to wash out the entire interior with a garden hose if you don't have a ban. Dry in the sun/on a radiator/ wife's hair-dryer/eletric paint stripper. Leave overnight before switching on. A pair of earplugs are useful when testing as an very unpleasant sibilance occurs if it blows again.

antiloquax

#246 Post by antiloquax »

Oops, I have broken PPM :oops: :oops:

It won't launch and when I try to run in terminal I get this:

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 46, near token '</default>': syntax error
aborting ...

I think it's to do with the ziggy gui.
Is there any way to fix it?
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

sszindian

Slideshow

#247 Post by sszindian »

Slideshow-1.0.pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5fb95b4590

works really nice in every other puppy I tried it in... except... 'Slacko' I mean it locks Slacko up tighter than the U.S. Mint when you run it and the only exit is to push and hold the button on the computer.

Just wondering if there is something similiar for slackware or would it be possible to mod it a little to work in Slacko?

By the way, you notice there aren't many gripes in the Slacko thread... 'that's good'... if there are no problems (like I don't have) there won't be any posts... that should tell you how well Slacko is running!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

scsijon

#248 Post by scsijon »

01micko wrote:Ok.. now it's

ping -c1 sourceforge.net &>/dev/null && CONNECTED="yes" || CONNECTED=
It was originally kernel.org but they went down for an extended period when they had a security breach. Google was only meant to be a stop gap. Thanks for reminding me.
And somewhere around in the forum is the ip for a spare primary router port my isp said we could use to ping if we needed to as that's basically what it is used for by them. If you want it again, i'll see if I can find it. I asked for it when the google thing first appeared!

Jades

#249 Post by Jades »

Sage wrote:
Replacement power supply
It is often possible to repair PSU s. Ignore the dire warnings on the box if you haven't used it for 24hrs, or dunk it in water and dry it in the sun!
Thanks for the tips. It's not worth trying to fix the PSU that died as it was a very old 300W unit I was using as a stopgap. It did, however, once generate an interesting fault-finding exercise where I managed to link the two observations "computer has been sounding differently recently" and "the top of the case at the rear of the machine seems to be hot to the touch" by looking at the back of the computer... :o Might have a look at the old Corsair HX620W however.

The new PSU arrived today, the morning after I ordered it! It's an OCZ ZT Series 750W. Probably complete overkill for a K6-2 500, but I wanted a fully-modular setup and managed to find someone selling the 750W version for not much more than the 650W I'd been looking at. The machine has a CDRW writer, a DVD-ROM drive, two hard drives, a floppy drive and an Iomega Ditto tape drive so I needed five molex connectors and an FDD power lead (on the OCZ ZT the latter is provided by a converter that plugs into a molex connector). I'm pleased to report that so far the machine is working again!
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#250 Post by Lobster »

antiloquax wrote:Oops, I have broken PPM :oops: :oops:

I think it's to do with the ziggy gui.
Is there any way to fix it?
Boot from DVD and copy code to your frugal install :wink:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

antiloquax

#251 Post by antiloquax »

Thanks!
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

Sage

#252 Post by Sage »

it was a very old 300W unit ... new PSU ... It's an OCZ ZT Series 750W
Interesting. Overkill^2 ! Far too much mythology surrounds PSU s. I use h.e.c http://www.hecgroupusa.com 350W units for all my machines, new and old, unless I'm running top line video cards like RadeonX1950 with twin DVI and DDR3, which are exceptionally greedy and might need a 400-450W unit. However, there's a load of hype about O.P. numbers. Be sure to read the actual O.P. cited on the label, not the advertising, too. Often, you cannot get all of that juice at the same time. And, in today's market, don't believe that "you get what you pay for" ! Recommendations from respected reviewers eg respectedreviews.com, or, better, friends are the best option. The best discussions on PSU I discovered was on http://www.badcaps.org forum about 3-4years ago. There are some extremely knowledgeable guys contributing over there. You can quickly learn about design techniques and strategies, as well as limitations concerning PSU s. It'll surprise you, perhaps?

Your prior symptoms might suggest that a thorough clean and fan re-lube was overdue! The fans they use are cheapo - it's a doddle to replace with a Sangamo/Papst/etc. These cost a fiver, but considering the work they do, well worth it. A quality fan with a sleeve bearing will last as long as a cheap ball-race and is much quieter.

Mick: please excuse this diversion in your thread. Hoping it will be of interest to rather greater readership, even though I outlined much of it about five years ago.

Jades

#253 Post by Jades »

Jades wrote:
bigpup wrote:I seem to remember something about the CD/DVD tray opening had to do with making sure, a new user, would remove the Puppy live CD after installing Puppy.
Now you mention it I have an odd memory that, on one of the Puppies I've tested on the K6, Universal Installer ejected the disc when finished. Might have been Wary. Will check when I get my new PSU.
Just to confirm, the Universal Installer on Wary 5.3 does automatically eject the CD once it's finished. Useful feature in that particular case since you do want to reboot from the hard drive or something other than the CD. It's also easy enough to put the disc back in straight away if, for some reason, you still wanted to boot from CD afterwards.

Slacko 5.3.1 remains the last release which was compatible with the K6-2 500, for that machine I'll probably go for Wary as the main Puppy as Lupu 5.11 is pretty old now.

Volhout

Flash

#254 Post by Volhout »

Running Slacko 5.3.2.7
Use Chromium 18.0996 browser installed via Slickpet,

Noticed an increasing number of Flash content is not playing noted as: "not available"
When using Lubuntu Chromium the content is visible.

I thought Chromium has it's own build in flash player. Any idea's ??
Already installed mesa video driver (proposd by slickpet), but makes no difference.

Volhout

EDIT: already solved. Installed flash player 11 from ibiblio.

Jades

#255 Post by Jades »

Briefly tested Slacko 5.3.2.7 as a Live CD on my brother's recently acquired Celeron 633 machine [1]. Considering my experience with this version not working on my K6-2 500, I was a little surprised when it booted without error. The Socket 370 Celeron 633 seems to be an i686-class CPU. The mainboard is an ECS P6IWP-Fe and is the smallest ATX board I've ever seen, only having two PCI slots and no AGP (graphics being onboard Intel 82810). The machine only has 192MB of RAM so performance is a little sluggish, more RAM is on its way.

Networking with the Addon NWP210 wireless PCI card [2] works very well using WPA2 PSK. It did pop up the additional setup windows previously reported with the WN111v2 on an earlier Slacko build. I can't remember exactly which firmware it's using in Puppy, will post tomorrow along with a link to a HardInfo report for that system.

Notes:-

1. A redundant machine from work. The intention was to replace the mainboard with an Athlon XP 1800+ powered one I've had in a box for years, but the latter won't stay stable at the moment. Symptoms seem to be similar to a problem I had with an old PIII 450 which turned out to be due to the thermal cutout on the CPU tripping as the fan had partially failed. I've put the Celeron setup back in for the time being.

2. Bought from Novatech for only £16.99, their product page lists it as "Novatech 300Mbps 802.11n Wireless-N PCI Adapter" so possibly they source from more than one manufacturer.

L18L

slacko 5.3.3, back to beta2

#256 Post by L18L »

Reboot: screen is all black except bottom panel
Attachments
saved_and_rebooted.png
slacko 5.3.2.7
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 1288 times

puppy_apprentice

#257 Post by puppy_apprentice »

i hope this is usefull and i hope that it is good place to post my hint, i've change rox script (usr/local/bin/rox) in my Slacko 5.3.1 because when i wanted to get to file download folder in Seamonkey Download Manager with old rox script i've got message that there is no file or folder file://root/...

i've changet it to:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filler/AppRun ${@#*file://}
so now it working with Seamonkey too[/code]

Tasgarth

#258 Post by Tasgarth »

L18L
Reboot: screen is all black except bottom panel
Restart Xserver
(Sometimes I get that with Lucid or Slacko, but not with Saluki)

Jades

Slacko 5.3.2.7 on Celeron 633 PC

#259 Post by Jades »

I've uploaded the HardInfo Report for my brother's Celeron 633 setup. It appears to be using the rt2800pci driver for the wireless card, will double-check when the extra memory has arrived and been fitted.

B.K. Johnson

A few nitpicks about Slacko

#260 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Environment: 8 puplets on flash drive includes slacko-5.3.27; frugal install, P4, 512Mb RAM, Intel board,

As much as I like slacko it will have to take 2nd place to wary-5.290 and lupu-5.2.8-04 because of 3 factors:
1. Seamonkey/Composer does not seem to be a preferred browser. The evidence: just about every browser except seamonkey is in PPM and/or available from slickpet's Internet Pets; an extremely old version is in PPM (5.3.1). So, the version available will consistently be older than what is currently available from mozilla.
2. Three of my favourite pets used in lupu, ThreadGet, ClipGrab and emelFM2, are unavailable Guess I'll have to learn how to make a pet :) if I want these and the latest seamonkey in my slacko.
3. edpview is pathetic as a pdf viewer - limited header (minimize, restore & close), not even an about, no zoom, no paging; PDF Viewer in wary is considerably better.
BK

This is either my 2nd or 3rd time attempting to post to the forum. Hope I got it right this time. :oops: