slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

sfs_load-1.4

#166 Post by shinobar »

@gcmartn
See my reply on the sfs_load with the Live media.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=177

@mick and to all
sfs_load-1.4 is out.
It contains the script 'extrasfsfind', which lists up sfs and pet on the live cd and in the folder where the pupsave to be saved, and offers to load.
The extrasfsfind function requires the firstrun and pupsaveconfig, that is, may work on the most recent slacko beta,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

ETP

NVIDIA & ICEWM PETS DATED 17/03/12

#167 Post by ETP »

01micko

I have just tested the following pets, I hope not prematurely!

Code: Select all

icewm-1.3.7-i686-s|Icewm Configuration Change Icewm Settings
wmswitcher-0.18|WM Switcher Switch windowmanagers
nvidia-295.20-k3.1.10-slacko_4gA-s|Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
The Nvidia pet works fine but ICEWM is problematic in that only the clock icon is present in the system tray and the toggle buttons in the configuration manager have no effect.
I have inspected the various ICEWM configuration files (comparing them with 531) but cannot see any differences. Something fundamental has changed. It may be permissions or delayedrun as if I recall correctly there was some code that allowed JWM & ICEWM to share network tray icons etc.
Apologies if I have jumped the gun.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

01micko

#168 Post by 01micko »

ETP

Yep. I'm aware of the icewm issue, I took out the code for it in delayedrun as you suspected, fixed for next.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DC

NFS question

#169 Post by DC »

Hi
NFS question,
Is the nfs enabled / complied whatever in slacko ?

In Puppy 528 I can mount a share with

mount-FULL -t nfs -o nolock 192.16.16.200:/media /mnt/nas_media
but in slako 5.3.2.5/6/7 I get
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.16.16.200:/media,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
googled and tried lots of different things but no luck

DC

01micko

#170 Post by 01micko »

DC

Is the nfs module loaded?

If not it can be by modprobe nfs

mdisaster2

Virtualbox test

#171 Post by mdisaster2 »

Tried running Slacko 533 as a guest in Virtualbox 4.1.10.

The VM I created had 1024 Mb RAM, 128 Mb video RAM, hardware virtualization turned off (because it didn't work for me when running other distros with 3.* kernels such as Mint 12), and PAE enabled (because I had downloaded the PAE iso, which wasn't probably necessary). Network was the regular Virtualbox NAT.

1) Simple Network Setup didn't work for me: I did see the eth0 button but clicking on it kicked me out to a dialog that said that I had no active interfaces and suggested that I try another tool. Which I did, and Network Connection Wizard worked like a charm. This happened with all the network adapters that Virtualbox emulates. I didn't try the other network setup tools.

This problem seem to be specific to this version. All the other puppies that I ran into VB (even the last stable Slacko, iirc) did connect nicely with SNS.

EDIT: the changelog of Virtualbox 4.1.10 does mention some network-related changes: "Main: host interfaces no longer have "defaults" for IP address and network mask attributes", so maybe this it is a just a virtualbox issue.

2) PupSaveConfig gets called twice, once after the initial setup screen and then again at shutdown. I'm not sure that the first invocation is necessary, actually it can be sort of annoying if you haven't partitioned your hard disk yet, as is the case when you are installing puppy in a new machine.

Also I'm pretty sure I saw PupSaveConfig in two different places in the start menu.

3) Programs don't seem to start as fast as with the other linux distros I run in virtualbox (at the moment Mint 12 LXDE and Salix LXDE). Once started however the programs are responsive, so maybe is just because they run under VESA (see below).

4) As with the previous stable Slacko I was unable to compile the Guest Additions - all the modules are built correctly, but the last step of the script says that the vbox services couldn't be started, and even starting them manually the GA features aren't available.

Tomorrow I'll try again with the non-PAE iso (keeping track of whatever happens to xorg.conf), and post the relevant messages and log entries as long someone is interested.

Billtoo

#172 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:
Yep. I'm aware of the icewm issue, I took out the code for it in delayedrun as you suspected, fixed for next.
Got it working, thanks for the info.
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 1776 times

markyd68a

#173 Post by markyd68a »

After my hard disk failed on a business trip and all I had to had was a Linux Mag and a USB stick ... worked all week with my Slacko USB stick, Pidgin & SIPE got me into corporate OCS land and Skype kept me touch with my loved ones ... for that, I thank you.

There were a couple of issure, 1, the Puppy would not be put down, "Shutdown" was a reboot .... anoying but not a showstopper as just held down the power button on my Lenovo R400 laptop. As per a suggestion in here I tried out 5.3.2.7 and same result. Works fin in a VM though, so guessing its hardware specific.

The Puppy Pet Manager is shot, in both Ziggy and Classic modes nothing downloads with mostly reports of files can not be found.

Once backwards step is that the wireless on my Laptop is no longer detected, its a Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.

Hope that helps somebody!

Regards,

MarkyD68a always up for a bit of testing :-)

Fishy

SFS,s

#174 Post by Fishy »

I have installed both 5.3.2.7 and 5.3.2.7.p frugally and neither one has any sfs's in slickpet. Somewhat surprised as they have always been there on installation. What am I missing? :oops:

All other parts of Slacko are working fine in both installs.

cheers

DC

#175 Post by DC »

Hi 01micko,
DC
Is the nfs module loaded?
If not it can be by modprobe nfs
Yeah tried that and all the normal things I know but still the same. Even loaded nfs common utilities to try it the way I used to mount nfs but that does not work either.

DC

DC

NFS

#176 Post by DC »

Hi 01micko,

here compares NFS Puppy 528 with NFS slacko

## Puppy 528
sh-4.1# modinfo nfs
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko
license: GPL
author: Olaf Kirch <okir@monad.swb.de>
depends: sunrpc,lockd,auth_rpcgss
vermagic: 2.6.33.2 SMP mod_unload modversions 486
parm: callback_tcpport:portnr
parm: cache_getent:Path to the client cache upcall program (string)
parm: cache_getent_timeout:Timeout (in seconds) after which the cache upcall is assumed to have failed (ulong)
parm: enable_ino64:bool

## slacko
# modinfo nfs
filename: /lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko_4gA/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko
license: GPL
author: Olaf Kirch <okir@monad.swb.de>
depends: sunrpc,lockd,auth_rpcgss
vermagic: 3.1.10-slacko_4gA SMP mod_unload modversions 686
parm: callback_tcpport:portnr
parm: cache_getent:Path to the client cache upcall program (string)
parm: cache_getent_timeout:Timeout (in seconds) after which the cache upcall is assumed to have failed (ulong)
parm: enable_ino64:bool
parm: nfs4_disable_idmapping:Turn off NFSv4 idmapping when using 'sec=sys' (bool)

the only difference I can see is the last parm

DC

DC

#177 Post by DC »

re:NFS

Hi 01micko,

also does not work for me in latest
racy.5.2.90
wary.5.2.90

DC

mavrothal

Wireless issues

#178 Post by mavrothal »

Tried 5.3.2.7 on my old lappy that never had problems with puppy and I get and I get

ifconfig:SIOCSISFLAGS:operation not possible due to RF-kill

:?

This has Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and RTL-8139/C/C+

(Yes I checked the laptop wireless button...)

Woof bug?...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#179 Post by 01micko »

@DC

Looks like some work needs to be done to mount nfs. Slackware packages nfs-utils and portmap are needed, however, as Slackware standard places their respective init scripts in /etc/rc.d they need to be moved for puppy to /etc/init.d and made executable. Also the /etc/exports file needs to be configured. After all that, the daemons need to be started. The server you are trying to connect to must be compliant as well. HTH.

@mavrothal

Rfkill has only been introduced since k2.6.37.6 and jemimah's fluppy kernels. It's possible your lappy may need a kernel boot param to get around that issue.. I'm not sure what but a quick google should unearth some results.

Cheers

pemasu

#180 Post by pemasu »

Rfkill needs to be enabled in kernel during make menuconfig stage and it needs rfkill binary also to achieve the rfkill processes.
First thing is to check that the kernel has the rfkill enabled....
and check that rfkill binary has been included.

01micko

#181 Post by 01micko »

# which rfkill
/usr/sbin/rfkill
It's there

pemasu

#182 Post by pemasu »

The kernel row to be checked:
CONFIG_RFKILL=m

mavrothal

#183 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:

# which rfkill
/usr/sbin/rfkill
It's there
Yeh, "rfkill unblock all" solved it but why it ships with "block" as default in this build?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

DaveS

#184 Post by DaveS »

When re-starting from suspend, I have no video. Any clues?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Eyes-Only

#185 Post by Eyes-Only »

01micko wrote:ETP

Interesting Micko... I haven't encountered any problems with my install of IceWM - in fact, I'm using it at this moment, rebooted from Lucid-Pup just to check to see whether or not I had this mentioned bug since doing the upgrade from the .iso to my frugal savefile. It's working fine here.

I'm wondering though if it may have something to do with the fact that I'm using IceWM v-1.3.7pre2, however, instead of ETP's 1.3.7-i686's version? Hmm... perhaps so, inwhich case this report would be totally useless, eh? :?

Sorry for any confuzzlement I've caused...

Keep up the great work everyone!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*