A simple yet useful utility for using your PUP to manage LAN

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
gcmartin

A simple yet useful utility for using your PUP to manage LAN

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Some of the community may not be informed about the benefits of JamesBonds NETBOOT to the Puppy community. His contribution runs on 32bit and 64bit PUPs.. How to do this is found here.

It has just come to my attention an old feature built into almost every LAN card/motherboard since 1995. The feature is rightfully named "Wake On LAN" (WOL). This allow the PC to be awakened if it is powered off.

Here are couple of FREE Windows utilities to "wake" a machine on your LAN. Here and there...and there are others.

Question
Does anyone know of a Linux/Unix product that will do this?
Does anyone have any idea if there is a JAVA application that will do this?

I am asking because I have a scenario that I would like to be deployed that is the following: And Netbooting fits right in with this.

Scenario:
I have been using Netbooting on my LAN for over a year now. It works fine. To start it, I merely walk over to the PC which will netboot and power it on.

WOL allows me to sit at one PC and power on another. I want to sit at my main Puppy PC and is a WOL to a PC that will boot/netboot without the need for me to walk over to push the power-on button.

I am not a developer, but, this could be an easy to make tool for our LAN use.

Help if you can

Hotdog

Wake on lan

#2 Post by Hotdog »

Debian has a wakeonlan routine and an ethtool program that does what you want. There is a page about them at http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/122. I forgot what they are written in, if not a regular scrip then they might require that python, perl, etc. be available for them to work. Ethtool will allow you to verify remotely that the lan card is set up and responding to commands.

ethtool may already be in Puppy 5.2.8!

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

For further convenience, many smart phones also have a wake on lan app for starting your PC.

I can drive home, when I get about a block from my house, my Nokia N900 connects automatically to my home wifi. As I get into the driveway, I push the button on my phone that wakes my PC. By the time I get to my office, the computer is on waiting for me.

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

• Could this be turned into a PET or could it be turned into a script to be included with JamesBond's Netboot PET?
This would add an additional feature that some/many may find useful for the LAN and for automating netbooting PCs on their LANs

Thanks for any consideration to provide this to our community

MrToad

Wake On LAN (WOL) and Puppy Linux

#5 Post by MrToad »

I don't think that this is quite what is being looked for but maybe it will trigger off an idea or two?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 824#607824

MrToad